Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Sex Pistols

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 May 2023, 7:02am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 May 2023, 6:34am
Funny how, in 1977, Matlock was smeared as a fraud, but 45 years later he sounds closer in spirit to the anti-monarchist sentiment than a number of former punks now.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... s-for-king
Glen has always been a cool guy. Just ended up being the scapegoat in the Pistols. Paul and Steve were real close and John was his own man. Glen got all that shit for allegedly being posh which was complete bullshit just because he wasn't as depraved as Steve and John. Interesting Paul never got that shit thrown at him.

Glen was always able to see through all the bullshit and through Malcolm.
Yup, just quietly staying true to himself—never minding the bollocks, so to speak—and living his own life. (Which applies to Paul, as well.)
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 May 2023, 7:55am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Funny how, in 1977, Matlock was smeared as a fraud, but 45 years later he sounds closer in spirit to the anti-monarchist sentiment than a number of former punks now.
Glen has always been a cool guy. Just ended up being the scapegoat in the Pistols. Paul and Steve were real close and John was his own man. Glen got all that shit for allegedly being posh which was complete bullshit just because he wasn't as depraved as Steve and John. Interesting Paul never got that shit thrown at him.

Yup, just quietly staying true to himself—never minding the bollocks, so to speak—and living his own life. (Which applies to Paul, as well.)
On a personal level, I met him when he was playing with that band with Clem Burke. I was hanging outside the venue during the opener for a few minutes. He was cordial and took a pic with me. The one thing that I admired was that he encouraged me to go back in and check out the opener. It was a small thing but he didn’t have to support the other bands as such.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
06 May 2023, 8:49am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

On a personal level, I met him when he was playing with that band with Clem Burke. I was hanging outside the venue during the opener for a few minutes. He was cordial and took a pic with me. The one thing that I admired was that he encouraged me to go back in and check out the opener. It was a small thing but he didn’t have to support the other bands as such.
But entirely consistent with everything I've heard about him, and from others who have met him. I do laugh at how he shows up in *every* "punk in 77" documentary—usually the only one of the Pistols appearing—but he's always so modest and good-humoured about it all. Just a legit fucker all around.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I read an interview with him very recently and the interviewer was getting caught up on the punk stuff and Glen said "How old are you?" 61. "I think it's about to time to stop worrying about this stuff, maybe, what do you think, mate?"

Love that.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
06 May 2023, 2:05pm
I read an interview with him very recently and the interviewer was getting caught up on the punk stuff and Glen said "How old are you?" 61. "I think it's about to time to stop worrying about this stuff, maybe, what do you think, mate?"

Love that.
What a fantastic answer. In the end, the best Sex Pistol.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I remember. I took your pic with him.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I mostly learned to play bass to the Spunk demos along with Green Day and the first Clash record. Glen was very formative in my early bass development—he taught me about arpeggios.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
08 May 2023, 1:01pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

That's right!

God damn, 11 years ago:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

matedog wrote:
08 May 2023, 1:54pm
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
08 May 2023, 1:01pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

That's right!

God damn, 11 years ago:
:cool:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Stumbled upon this. Two old pals rambling on about dumb stuff.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jun 2023, 4:41pm
Always fun. But that's got to be 6 years old now. So obviously in that time there gas been the animosity of the "Pistol" tv show etc.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Jun 2023, 6:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jun 2023, 4:41pm
Always fun. But that's got to be 6 years old now. So obviously in that time there gas been the animosity of the "Pistol" tv show etc.
And as Steve's memoir detailed, yeah, he has specific examples of why Lydon continued to piss him off. But I was amused by his ignorance (feigned?) as to who was Liz' heir, and his belief that Chuck was a lizard. Also: Cheers, big ears!

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

Here's a thought, usually stupid....but anyways...has Fatty Jones been in the UK since the pistol premier last year? His podcast of jonesys juke box has dried up and now the gen set tour? I doubt it but it seems like his hatred of the UK has diminished, surely he's got enough dough now to stay in LA and never have to tour again...he's probably just flown in for the tour but my hopes are he agrees to some professionals gigs before he fucks off back to the sun....