Marky Dread wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 7:43am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 7:10am
Marky Dread wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 3:20am
tepista wrote:
30 Jun 2022, 8:49pm
OMG, I wanted to dislike Pistol but I'm fucking enjoying the shit out of it.
I've watched it twice now. And it is an enjoyable watch. I just have to switch off from any facts being distorted.

A whole episode dedicated to Pauline and the song "Bodies" yet Sid had yet to join the band. So many things out of sync. Still it's a drama not a documentary.
Yeah, I'm not opposed to making alterations to make for a better-flowing narrative, but the reason for many of the changes here is difficult for me to understand.
Nothing more than a lack of care regards timelines. Which is a shame as some of the other attention to detail is excellent.
That's what I find so strange. I mentioned before that I was surprised at how well they got clothing at specific events correctly, and especially the soundcheck in SF, with John's monotonous "allo allo." So, yeah, there's a commitment to fidelity at work on those little things, and then huge changes on the narrative. It's like Boyle and the screenwriter were at odds with the story, with Boyle more committed to verisimilitude while the screenwriter preferring to move the pieces around for the sake of what he saw would be a better narrative.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Sex Pistols

Post by Silent Majority »

I am having a really good time with it, about halfway through it. And I expected to loathe it.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 8:08am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
tepista wrote:
30 Jun 2022, 8:49pm
OMG, I wanted to dislike Pistol but I'm fucking enjoying the shit out of it.
I've watched it twice now. And it is an enjoyable watch. I just have to switch off from any facts being distorted.

A whole episode dedicated to Pauline and the song "Bodies" yet Sid had yet to join the band. So many things out of sync. Still it's a drama not a documentary.
Yeah, I'm not opposed to making alterations to make for a better-flowing narrative, but the reason for many of the changes here is difficult for me to understand.
Nothing more than a lack of care regards timelines. Which is a shame as some of the other attention to detail is excellent.
That's what I find so strange. I mentioned before that I was surprised at how well they got clothing at specific events correctly, and especially the soundcheck in SF, with John's monotonous "allo allo." So, yeah, there's a commitment to fidelity at work on those little things, and then huge changes on the narrative. It's like Boyle and the screenwriter were at odds with the story, with Boyle more committed to verisimilitude while the screenwriter preferring to move the pieces around for the sake of what he saw would be a better narrative.
Yes I agree. The attention to detail with clothing and to the best part the individuals themselves is very strong apart from Glen who is badly portrayed. Then there is is the over emphasis in the dialogue. Glen going on about The Beatles because the writer watched the Filty & The Fury and John mentions it. Then Malcolm with his "Sexy Young Assassins" and so on. It's a good watch for sure but it could've been superb.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 12:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yes I agree. The attention to detail with clothing and to the best part the individuals themselves is very strong apart from Glen who is badly portrayed. Then there is is the over emphasis in the dialogue. Glen going on about The Beatles because the writer watched the Filty & The Fury and John mentions it. Then Malcolm with his "Sexy Young Assassins" and so on. It's a good watch for sure but it could've been superb.
It's clear they did about all the research that was available, even (I suspect) the 12 Days on the Road book—which is good, because imagine what this thing would have been like had they not really done the reading. They started from a strong basis of fact and mixed it up for the lay viewer—I'm still not sure how that worked because I haven't talked to anyone who's seen it who doesn't already know the material.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I think that's it for me. The performances were so good overall that I wish they had a better script. But make no mistake, I did enjoy it greatly. That final scene at the end of episode 1, where the camera snakes in and we see Lydon doing the "I hate Pink Floyd" thing to his shirt, and then he turns around to lear into the camera—that was stupendous. Even if you don't know the Pistols story, that shot tells you this guy is a lunatic and is going to push the narrative in a new direction. I mentioned at the time it was like the final splash page of a comic as the secret villain is revealed. You've gotta get the next issue to find out what happens. Just a superbly done shot.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 1:04pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I think that's it for me. The performances were so good overall that I wish they had a better script. But make no mistake, I did enjoy it greatly. That final scene at the end of episode 1, where the camera snakes in and we see Lydon doing the "I hate Pink Floyd" thing to his shirt, and then he turns around to lear into the camera—that was stupendous. Even if you don't know the Pistols story, that shot tells you this guy is a lunatic and is going to push the narrative in a new direction. I mentioned at the time it was like the final splash page of a comic as the secret villain is revealed. You've gotta get the next issue to find out what happens. Just a superbly done shot.
I still can't forgive the lack of Bernie Time.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 1:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

To properly account for Bernie would require another nine episodes.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 1:14pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

A sacrifice I'd have been willing to make.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

🤣 That's the intro taken care of.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 2:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

It'd be like "Alice's Restaurant"—you remember the Sex Pistols? This is a series about the Sex Pistols.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 2:12pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It'd be like "Alice's Restaurant"—you remember the Sex Pistols? This is a series about the Sex Pistols.
Pistol 2, when they reunite and play Live Aid with Freddie Mercury and Princess Dianah at Wimbleton Stadium.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 11:17am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Pistol 2, when they reunite and play Live Aid with Freddie Mercury and Princess Dianah at Wimbleton Stadium.
Cos I / Wanna feeeeed / Af-ri-caaaa

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 11:22am
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I've got no feedings for anybody else. :twitch:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Marky Dread wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 2:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

They're so hungry, oh so hungry...they're famished, now.....AND WE DON'T CARE!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

tepista wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 2:20pm
Marky Dread wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 2:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

They're so hungry, oh so hungry...they're famished, now.....AND WE DON'T CARE!
Problem....problem...problem...THE PROBLEM IS FOOD!