Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Sex Pistols

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Sep 2021, 12:07pm
Marky Dread wrote:
20 Sep 2021, 11:39am
When I hear the Pistols they just don't fit with other punk bands at all musically.
I agree. When I first discovered punk, it made me a bit disappointed, even contemptuous, of bands like the Clash. The Clash didn't sound "punk" enough. But time and exposure led me to appreciate that there was much more diversity and where there was commonality, the Pistols were still just a bit off to the side.
Absolutely mate that's the beauty in diversity.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

"No amount of John's current moaning or whingeing will diminish the change they had on me. Right time, right place and the right attitude."

No truer words than that!

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

For a goof I went and listened to the original Chelmsford Prison cd, the one that Goodman fooked all up. God it's awful! What the hell was that lunatic thinking when he overdubbed all that crap....and the fake commentary in between the songs, just plain ridiculous.

Only thing good about that is there is somebody playing bass on it, not sure who but even with the bass it's impossible to listen to. I tried to make an edited version and cut out all between songs banter,put it in right order and it still sucks!

Luckily we have the original recording and with a bass boot it's a good document.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

:rolleyes: I find it very hard to believe that John was never approached, but rather dictated to late in the game. Absolutely nobody in the Pistols' camp or Boyle's contacted him when all this started? I can't help but think there are documents rebutting that available, if the others care to push it.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Sep 2021, 9:55am
:rolleyes: I find it very hard to believe that John was never approached, but rather dictated to late in the game. Absolutely nobody in the Pistols' camp or Boyle's contacted him when all this started? I can't help but think there are documents rebutting that available, if the others care to push it.
I agree. There's no way he was in the dark.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

So I'm currently listening to the new box set. I'm surprised at some of the in between banter and bits of guitar that have never been heard before on the Wessex cover versions and the Spedding tracks have in between banter and guitar and vocal parts never heard before. Sound is not as bright as I would've liked but it's a damn fascinating listen. Can't understand where the fuck these tracks have been for past 40 years. No idea why Cook n Jones needed to overdub these tracks for the Swindle either. I've been convinced for a very long that we've only ever heard the mono versions of the Wessex covers given a wider pan. Looks like I was right all along.
Attachments
613vKvG0xEL._SY580_.jpg
613vKvG0xEL._SY580_.jpg (66.71 KiB) Viewed 1741 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 Sep 2021, 1:23pm
So I'm currently listening to the new box set. I'm surprised at some of the in between banter and bits of guitar that have never been heard before on the Wessex cover versions and the Spedding tracks have in between banter and guitar and vocal parts never heard before. Sound is not as bright as I would've liked but it's a damn fascinating listen. Can't understand where the fuck these tracks have been for past 40 years. No idea why Cook n Jones needed to overdub these tracks for the Swindle either. I've been convinced for a very long that we've only ever heard the mono versions of the Wessex covers given a wider pan. Looks like I was right all along.
I dl'd a copy but all I've listened to is the demo of "Bodies." Even in demo form, man, that bastard has bite. If the narrative is that after Matlock left the band was basically done as a creative unit, there was definitely something in the tank.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Sep 2021, 1:39pm
Marky Dread wrote:
I dl'd a copy but all I've listened to is the demo of "Bodies." Even in demo form, man, that bastard has bite. If the narrative is that after Matlock left the band was basically done as a creative unit, there was definitely something in the tank.
Of course Glen was a much better more fluent bass player than Jones but Jones playing the root notes gave the songs more bite. As a musical force though they did little after glen left. They only wrote Holidays and Bodies after Glen as Belsen was written by Sid before he joined.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 Sep 2021, 1:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Of course Glen was a much better more fluent bass player than Jones but Jones playing the root notes gave the songs more bite. As a musical force though they did little after glen left. They only wrote Holidays and Bodies after Glen as Belsen was written by Sid before he joined.
The unanswerable question is what if McLaren had a gargoyle fall on his head in, say, May 1977, and he wasn't around to push the band from one spectacle to the next? Could they have recovered creatively without Matlock, or was the messy end fated by then? A Sex Pistols with the darker, heavier sound of HitS and B may not have been better, but perhaps still compelling.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Sep 2021, 2:11pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
The unanswerable question is what if McLaren had a gargoyle fall on his head in, say, May 1977, and he wasn't around to push the band from one spectacle to the next? Could they have recovered creatively without Matlock, or was the messy end fated by then? A Sex Pistols with the darker, heavier sound of HitS and B may not have been better, but perhaps still compelling.
Malcolm for all his Machiavellian shenanigans was not the biggest problem. That problem was Sid who simply wasn't up to the standard of Glen. Now it's clear and obvious that Steve was more than capable in the studio but live how could that last with Sid just playing up to his dopey tough guy image. Having Sid in the band may have boosted the image appeal and headlines but as a live band they were fucked.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 Sep 2021, 2:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Sep 2021, 2:11pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Malcolm for all his Machiavellian shenanigans was not the biggest problem. That problem was Sid who simply wasn't up to the standard of Glen. Now it's clear and obvious that Steve was more than capable in the studio but live how could that last with Sid just playing up to his dopey tough guy image. Having Sid in the band may have boosted the image appeal and headlines but as a live band they were fucked.
Definitely. Even if replacing Matlock with Sid was John's power move, Sid quickly became the perfect McLaren foil. With McLaren gargoyled, it's not hard to see the band quickly realizing Sid's limitations and tossing him out if they actually wanted to continue as a genuine musical act.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Marky Dread wrote:
Thanks for your review Marky. I know you're clued up on the various Pistols sessions, and how they've been released over the years, so if there's anything new here, you'd spot it.
I wasn't too excited about this release, but am now and will have to start shopping around. Dammit! :mrgreen:
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

JohnS wrote:
24 Sep 2021, 10:05pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Thanks for your review Marky. I know you're clued up on the various Pistols sessions, and how they've been released over the years, so if there's anything new here, you'd spot it.
I wasn't too excited about this release, but am now and will have to start shopping around. Dammit! :mrgreen:
Just got my copy...I never tire of listening to these demos and sessions. I just love hearing them with Glens bass. I rarely ever listen to NMTB and when I do I'm usually disappointed and go back to Spunk or the other demos.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Okay, I'm not making a radical statement here or not preaching to the choir, but visually this band exudes cool. Rotten goes from bored to manic in a split second, and pulls off both as being authentic expressions. I'm certain that so much of what sucks about Lydon these days is that he was a demigod in '76–'77.