Sex Pistols

General music discussion.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Sex Pistols

Post by Silent Majority »

Tell 'em they're all a bunch of fuckin' rotters.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Thanks, dirty punks. If anything interesting results, I'll report back. Thursday is also a class discussion about punk's ambivalent relationship with race.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Don't forget to follow up with a Foo Fighters seminar.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
11 Feb 2020, 12:08pm
Don't forget to follow up with a Foo Fighters seminar.
I will entitle it “4.33, Part II.”
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

The Sex Pistols difficult third album is their best.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Feb 2020, 6:14pm
The Sex Pistols difficult third album is their best.
The one that's all Peter Frampton covers? Yeesh, whatever, man.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Oh, lecture went fine (to me, anyway—I always have a ball when lecturing) tho students are usually stoic, so it's harder to tell (I get that, tho; I remember how it wasn't cool to look like you were into the lecture). I think I figured out the Taylor Swift pop fans, tho. Playing both "God Save the Queen" and "No Fun" resulted in a few people looking a bit lemon-faced. Even after all these years, GSTQ never fails to generate tingles on the back of my neck. Lyrically, Lydon was operating on a conceptual level so much higher than his peers. Which is no slam on those first-person, immediate punk songs—punk was ideal for giving kids the chance to make those personal statements—only how amazing it was that this 21-year-old fucker generated those words and concepts. I've said it before, but from '76 to '81, Lydon was untouchable.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Feb 2020, 6:44pm
Oh, lecture went fine (to me, anyway—I always have a ball when lecturing) tho students are usually stoic, so it's harder to tell (I get that, tho; I remember how it wasn't cool to look like you were into the lecture). I think I figured out the Taylor Swift pop fans, tho. Playing both "God Save the Queen" and "No Fun" resulted in a few people looking a bit lemon-faced. Even after all these years, GSTQ never fails to generate tingles on the back of my neck. Lyrically, Lydon was operating on a conceptual level so much higher than his peers. Which is no slam on those first-person, immediate punk songs—punk was ideal for giving kids the chance to make those personal statements—only how amazing it was that this 21-year-old fucker generated those words and concepts. I've said it before, but from '76 to '81, Lydon was untouchable.
Part street wise attitude and part intellect mixed with youthful arrogance. Railing against stupidity and out of date opinions and the mundane banality of life in the 70s. All this topped off with an other worldly quality at times pushed the Sex Pistols into another orbit. Outrageously fucking fantastic!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Feb 2020, 7:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Part street wise attitude and part intellect mixed with youthful arrogance. Railing against stupidity and out of date opinions and the mundane banality of life in the 70s. All this topped off with an other worldly quality at times pushed the Sex Pistols into another orbit. Outrageously fucking fantastic!
Add in Lydon's self-awareness that the class system was built to keep kids like him quiet and docile, yet he had that innate intelligence and resentment, plus a means of expressing it.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I wonder if they look at you the same way I looked at my music teacher at school when he lectured us on The Beatles with your Pistols enthusiasm 😊

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
11 Feb 2020, 7:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I wonder if they look at you the same way I looked at my music teacher at school when he lectured us on The Beatles with your Pistols enthusiasm 😊
There are a few in the front rows who smile and pretend my enthusiasm isn't just pathetic dorkiness, but most are really stony-faced. I can't judge them too harshly because when I was a student I was the sullen asshead in the back. It's a helluva lot easier to lecture when your audience is reacting, whether positively or negatively. But I'm self-contained enough that I can always plough thru without much hesitation. I go into performer mode and genuinely enjoy talking about whatever I'm talking about. I honestly don't understand my colleagues who hate the classroom. C'mon, this shit should be fun to talk about.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Feb 2020, 8:26pm
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
There are a few in the front rows who smile and pretend my enthusiasm isn't just pathetic dorkiness, but most are really stony-faced. I can't judge them too harshly because when I was a student I was the sullen asshead in the back. It's a helluva lot easier to lecture when your audience is reacting, whether positively or negatively. But I'm self-contained enough that I can always plough thru without much hesitation. I go into performer mode and genuinely enjoy talking about whatever I'm talking about. I honestly don't understand my colleagues who hate the classroom. C'mon, this shit should be fun to talk about.
Hello,

Two part response:
Lydon has such courage and self-belief. As I recall, every rock star at that time wanted to be liked and wouldn't dare challenge anything. His courage, conviction, and charisma (how's that for alliteration?) were new and have still been untouched. No one then (and no one now, for that matter) could sing/shout "We mean it, maaaan!" with that same attitude - Lydon challenged the listener. Name a contemporary group/band/singer that challenges the audience.

I'm much luckier than you in some regard. My favorite class is Sport and Exercise Psychology as I sometimes find myself getting so excited about the material that many students get drawn in as they see application to their own lives and experiences - plus I get really involved in stories about my own experiences and applications. Your material may lend itself better to grad students provided they aren't afraid to become engaged. Maybe project video's from youtube with lyrics and require students to sing along? Class karaoke to break that wall?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I would have loved such a class but when I look back to music class in middle school where the teachers spoke just as enthusiastically about classical composers and no they weren't getting much traction with a bunch of 13-14 year olds.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

gkbill wrote:
11 Feb 2020, 11:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

Two part response:
Lydon has such courage and self-belief. As I recall, every rock star at that time wanted to be liked and wouldn't dare challenge anything. His courage, conviction, and charisma (how's that for alliteration?) were new and have still been untouched. No one then (and no one now, for that matter) could sing/shout "We mean it, maaaan!" with that same attitude - Lydon challenged the listener. Name a contemporary group/band/singer that challenges the audience.

I'm much luckier than you in some regard. My favorite class is Sport and Exercise Psychology as I sometimes find myself getting so excited about the material that many students get drawn in as they see application to their own lives and experiences - plus I get really involved in stories about my own experiences and applications. Your material may lend itself better to grad students provided they aren't afraid to become engaged. Maybe project video's from youtube with lyrics and require students to sing along? Class karaoke to break that wall?
No that is what my music teacher tried to do at school. He was trying to make us sing O Bla Dee, Maxwel’s Silver Hammer and Yellow Submarine when we were all listening to the Pistols.
And he thought he was the cool hip one 🙄

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

101Walterton wrote:
11 Feb 2020, 11:46pm
gkbill wrote:
11 Feb 2020, 11:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

Two part response:

No that is what my music teacher tried to do at school. He was trying to make us sing O Bla Dee, Maxwel’s Silver Hammer and Yellow Submarine when we were all listening to the Pistols.
And he thought he was the cool hip one 🙄
I guess the equivalent now would be someone trying to get the kids interested with Love the Way You Lie by Eminem and Rihanna.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/