Sex Pistols

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Sex Pistols

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
16 May 2022, 8:41am
Live long enough to become a villain, and so forth.
He's entitled to his view of course. And I agree it's not about any individual but the whole regime. I don't wish the queen any ill wiil. But I certainly don't support the royals in any shape or form. And as for scum like Andrew well where do you start.

How we have tolerated these wealthy institutions for so long is beyond me.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 May 2022, 8:27am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 May 2022, 8:11am
https://loudwire.com/sex-pistols-johnny ... surviving/
"I've got to tell the world this. Everyone presumes that I'm against the royal family as human beings, I'm not. I'm actually really, really proud of the queen for surviving and doing so well," said Lydon, while also raising his hand to his brow with a salute. "I applaud her for that and that's a fantastic achievement. I'm not a curmudgeon about that."

That said, he defended his stance within the song, stating, "I just think that if I'm paying my tax money to support this system I should have a say so in how it's spent."

The Queen is currently 96 years old and has had some health issues of late, including a battle with COVID. As for what that means in terms of the Royal Family's future, Lydon offered, "I think it's possibly the end of the monarchy because Prince Charles is not going to be able to handle it. This is the man who plays Pink Floyd to his cabbages."

He adds, "That's a shame too, cause I do love pageantry. I'm a football fan, how could I not? I like watching royal weddings because I love watching spitfires and B-52s and the like flying over the palace. I get quite emotional with all that. I love me country, I love me people and everything about it, but if there's problems in it, I think I have the right to say so."
"It" made "you" a moron.
Ha! The insight at 21 is lost at 65.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Question for Mr. Dread and all the other finely aged Limeys: When did you first hear the Pistols? More precisely, I suppose, was it before Grundy? Did you see the Grundy interview when it happened? Did you buy a copy "AitUK" before Grundy? And do you have any memories of the whole Grundy fuck-a-rama?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2022, 12:42pm
Question for Mr. Dread and all the other finely aged Limeys: When did you first hear the Pistols? More precisely, I suppose, was it before Grundy? Did you see the Grundy interview when it happened? Did you buy a copy "AitUK" before Grundy? And do you have any memories of the whole Grundy fuck-a-rama?
I heard AitUK first when John Peel played it. A friend then gave me a cassette with it on.

Yes I watched the Today show live with my grandad who thought it was one of the best things he'd ever seen. I remember him saying "great they gave him exactly what he deserved". He thought Grundy as the established interviewer should've been smarter. Grundy was the first to interview The Beatles back in the day. But his attitude was he was bigger and better than anyone else and treated those around him like crap. Four working class kids half cut and Grundy saying "they're as drunk as I am". Ha! all thanks must go to Queen for pulling out of that episode at the last minute.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Steve Jones just being himself.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 May 2022, 1:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I heard AitUK first when John Peel played it. A friend then gave me a cassette with it on.

Yes I watched the Today show live with my grandad who thought it was one of the best things he'd ever seen. I remember him saying "great they gave him exactly what he deserved". He thought Grundy as the established interviewer should've been smarter. Grundy was the first to interview The Beatles back in the day. But his attitude was he was bigger and better than anyone else and treated those around him like crap. Four working class kids half cut and Grundy saying "they're as drunk as I am". Ha! all thanks must go to Queen for pulling out of that episode at the last minute.
Ha! That's fantastic, your grandad's reaction. What'd you think at the time?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2022, 1:17pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Regards the swearing? Just the typical attitude of most working class kids. Felt like a poke in the eye to the very stuffy older generation. The early part of the 70s were an appalling time with everybody accepting their lot. The stuffy old attitude of people like Grundy was rife. Many of my school teachers came across in the exact same way unwilling to accept anyone who had an opinion that differs from theirs. The Sex Pistols could've been any kid from any council estate up and down the UK. They were us and that's why seemed so much more real.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 May 2022, 1:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Regards the swearing? Just the typical attitude of most working class kids. Felt like a poke in the eye to the very stuffy older generation. The early part of the 70s were an appalling time with everybody accepting their lot. The stuffy old attitude of people like Grundy was rife. Many of my school teachers came across in the exact same way unwilling to accept anyone who had an opinion that differs from theirs. The Sex Pistols could've been any kid from any council estate up and down the UK. They were us and that's why seemed so much more real.
That's kind of my curiosity here. The conventional narrative is that the Grundy incident initiates a series of events that makes the Sex Pistols public enemy #1. It's ginned up by the tabloids, definitely, but presumably it's not the respected classes that take their cue from the tabloids. So what was the working class (but non-punk) view in all this? There had to have been those who, far from kicking in their tv, thought, "Ha! Good on ya, boys!" But that perspective doesn't get an airing in the tellings of the Pistols story. So I'm curious about people who weren't appalled and disgusted, even if they weren't fans of the band.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 May 2022, 9:11am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
"I've got to tell the world this. Everyone presumes that I'm against the royal family as human beings, I'm not. I'm actually really, really proud of the queen for surviving and doing so well," said Lydon, while also raising his hand to his brow with a salute. "I applaud her for that and that's a fantastic achievement. I'm not a curmudgeon about that."

That said, he defended his stance within the song, stating, "I just think that if I'm paying my tax money to support this system I should have a say so in how it's spent."

The Queen is currently 96 years old and has had some health issues of late, including a battle with COVID. As for what that means in terms of the Royal Family's future, Lydon offered, "I think it's possibly the end of the monarchy because Prince Charles is not going to be able to handle it. This is the man who plays Pink Floyd to his cabbages."

He adds, "That's a shame too, cause I do love pageantry. I'm a football fan, how could I not? I like watching royal weddings because I love watching spitfires and B-52s and the like flying over the palace. I get quite emotional with all that. I love me country, I love me people and everything about it, but if there's problems in it, I think I have the right to say so."
"It" made "you" a moron.
Of COURSE he turned it into a song about his taxes.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2022, 1:47pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

That's kind of my curiosity here. The conventional narrative is that the Grundy incident initiates a series of events that makes the Sex Pistols public enemy #1. It's ginned up by the tabloids, definitely, but presumably it's not the respected classes that take their cue from the tabloids. So what was the working class (but non-punk) view in all this? There had to have been those who, far from kicking in their tv, thought, "Ha! Good on ya, boys!" But that perspective doesn't get an airing in the tellings of the Pistols story. So I'm curious about people who weren't appalled and disgusted, even if they weren't fans of the band.
The country was in a state at the time. The social impact of failing governments with 3 day working weeks etc. You know that story it's well documented. But it's essential from the point of view that the working class had been dumped on for way too long. Swearing would've been frowned upon by an disapproving older generation unless they were doing it themselves. That's the sort hypocritical bullshit the Sex Pistols were breaking through. We saw it smiled and simply laughed with a "what did the expect" anyway attitude.

The press blew it up out of all proportions and were deliberately looking for outrage and encouraging the generation gap. Which lead to the hatred that then followed for punks. I was physically assaulted on more than one occasion for wearing that GStQ t-shirt. But just accepted it was par for the course. I told my sports teacher to "fuck off" for accusing me of something I hadn't done (stealing) and I received a punch in the face for my troubles. Different times indeed.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 May 2022, 2:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

The country was in a state at the time. The social impact of failing governments with 3 day working weeks etc. You know that story it's well documented. But it's essential from the point of view that the working class had been dumped on for way too long. Swearing would've been frowned upon by an disapproving older generation unless they were doing it themselves. That's the sort hypocritical bullshit the Sex Pistols were breaking through. We saw it smiled and simply laughed with a "what did the expect" anyway attitude.

The press blew it up out of all proportions and were deliberately looking for outrage and encouraging the generation gap. Which lead to the hatred that then followed for punks. I was physically assaulted on more than one occasion for wearing that GStQ t-shirt. But just accepted it was par for the course. I told my sports teacher to "fuck off" for accusing me of something I hadn't done (stealing) and I received a punch in the face for my troubles. Different times indeed.
Your grandfather excepted, would you say, then, there was a generational divide within the working class over this kind of thing (that is, how you conduct yourself in public)?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 May 2022, 2:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 May 2022, 9:11am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

"It" made "you" a moron.
Of COURSE he turned it into a song about his taxes.
Maybe in a year or two he can claim that "AitUK" is something in support of Thatcherism.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2022, 2:29pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Your grandfather excepted, would you say, then, there was a generational divide within the working class over this kind of thing (that is, how you conduct yourself in public)?
All classes I would say. Swearing was seen as ill mannered. But many would say there was a time an place for it to be more acceptable. Down the pub with the lads, don't swear in front of women or the kids. Unless of course the woman worked behind the bar in the pub. All the usual rubbish.

I swear when I feel the need to. I don't do it deliberately to draw attention to being from any class system. It's just nonsense really.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 May 2022, 2:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2022, 2:29pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

All classes I would say. Swearing was seen as ill mannered. But many would say there was a time an place for it to be more acceptable. Down the pub with the lads, don't swear in front of women or the kids. Unless of course the woman worked behind the bar in the pub. All the usual rubbish.

I swear when I feel the need to. I don't do it deliberately to draw attention to being from any class system. It's just nonsense really.
The Boss and I are pretty bad with lazy foul language. We blame it on Saskatchewan. Fucking dumbass province.