Sex Pistols

General music discussion.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: Sex Pistols

Post by WestwayKid »

Thank you, Marky. Excellent information. The post-Lydon period has always fascinated me because the band did continue to exist in some capacity. They lost the nihilism of Lydon, but retained that big guitar, power-pop/punk sound with Jones at the helm. The hand of McLaren is definitely on some of the output - some of it is silly, but 1978 should not be forgotten.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
01 Mar 2021, 11:07am
Thank you, Marky. Excellent information. The post-Lydon period has always fascinated me because the band did continue to exist in some capacity. They lost the nihilism of Lydon, but retained that big guitar, power-pop/punk sound with Jones at the helm. The hand of McLaren is definitely on some of the output - some of it is silly, but 1978 should not be forgotten.
Yeah agreed mate. Some other info you may or may not know. Lonely Boy was written pre Lydon and originally called "Raising Rabbits" and "Silly Thing" was originally called "Silly Cunt" and written by Cookie about Jonesy getting involved with heroin.

It's a real Shame Warwick Nightingale recorded over a cassette of the pre Lydon era Swankers rehearsal.

All the tracks on my listing of '76-'77 and ''78 exist and I have them all except the unreleased Goodman mix of "My Way".

I've got all the Spunk sessions complete with spoken words and count in's all running at the correct speed. These have never been issued correctly. Sadly I won't be sharing these.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Mar 2021, 11:54am
WestwayKid wrote:
Yeah agreed mate. Some other info you may or may not know. Lonely Boy was written pre Lydon and originally called "Raising Rabbits" and "Silly Thing" was originally called "Silly Cunt" and written by Cookie about Jonesy getting involved with heroin.

It's a real Shame Warwick Nightingale recorded over a cassette of the pre Lydon era Swankers rehearsal.

All the tracks on my listing of '76-'77 and ''78 exist and I have them all except the unreleased Goodman mix of "My Way".

I've got all the Spunk sessions complete with spoken words and count in's all running at the correct speed. These have never been issued correctly. Sadly I won't be sharing these.
I think I have most of these tracks. I'll never forget hearing the Pistols for the 1st time thanks to my older cousin. He had been an arena rock loving Wisconsin kid until he heard them around 1978. I used to see the posters hanging in his bedroom as a kid, but never really understood until he copied NMTB for me.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
01 Mar 2021, 2:35pm
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

I think I have most of these tracks. I'll never forget hearing the Pistols for the 1st time thanks to my older cousin. He had been an arena rock loving Wisconsin kid until he heard them around 1978. I used to see the posters hanging in his bedroom as a kid, but never really understood until he copied NMTB for me.
It's a brilliant album and always will be. That summer when it came out I can remember it blaring out of bedroom windows all over the town. Whilst you can easily trace it's influences like the Dolls and Small Faces etc. It still stands up on it's own. Just sheer power and a brilliant production by Thomas and Price.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
I'll never forget hearing the Pistols for the 1st time thanks to my older cousin. He had been an arena rock loving Wisconsin kid until he heard them around 1978. I used to see the posters hanging in his bedroom as a kid, but never really understood until he copied NMTB for me.
I was a Top 40 pop fan and then hearing Bollocks was this sudden opening of the gates, of realizing there was something out there that validated my frustration and anger. Total catharsis and reorientation of my life.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Mar 2021, 2:41pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

It's a brilliant album and always will be. That summer when it came out I can remember it blaring out of bedroom windows all over the town. Whilst you can easily trace it's influences like the Dolls and Small Faces etc. It still stands up on it's own. Just sheer power and a brilliant production by Thomas and Price.
My cousin used to say it didn't just sound like Jones was playing guitar, but that he was playing an entire guitar factory on that album. I think it's one of the best production jobs I've ever heard - just gobs of power.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
01 Mar 2021, 3:41pm
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

My cousin used to say it didn't just sound like Jones was playing guitar, but that he was playing an entire guitar factory on that album. I think it's one of the best production jobs I've ever heard - just gobs of power.
I'm convinced it's what The Clash wanted for Give 'Em Enough Rope.

With the Pistols though I feel their power is aciveved by not going 1-2-3-4 blam blam blam!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Mar 2021, 3:51pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

With the Pistols though I feel their power is aciveved by not going 1-2-3-4 blam blam blam!
Yeah, tempos on NMTB are not over the top. Take a track like EMI - Jones' guitars dominate the mix, but they also don't dominate the mix (if that makes sense). Cook's drumming is skull rattling. Jones' punchy bass playing is melodic, but pounding... and Lydon's vocal slices through it all. It's not about playing fast and loud, it's about playing powerful and loud... about the strength coming from the sum of the parts.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
01 Mar 2021, 3:58pm
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Yeah, tempos on NMTB are not over the top. Take a track like EMI - Jones' guitars dominate the mix, but they also don't dominate the mix (if that makes sense). Cook's drumming is skull rattling. Jones' punchy bass playing is melodic, but pounding... and Lydon's vocal slices through it all. It's not about playing fast and loud, it's about playing powerful and loud... about the strength coming from the sum of the parts.
Yes that's it. Jones just playing the root notes on bass and following the guitar.

Always worth the dicussion but I do love Matlock's bass runs on the earlier stuff. I wonder how they would've sounded NMTB. Glen is only on Anarchy.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Mar 2021, 4:26pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yes that's it. Jones just playing the root notes on bass and following the guitar.

Always worth the dicussion but I do love Matlock's bass runs on the earlier stuff. I wonder how they would've sounded NMTB. Glen is only on Anarchy.
Glen (along with Mike Dirnt) was a big influence on me as I was learning to play. He taught me about arpeggios.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
01 Mar 2021, 7:59pm
Marky Dread wrote:
01 Mar 2021, 4:26pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Glen (along with Mike Dirnt) was a big influence on me as I was learning to play. He taught me about arpeggios.
I love Italian food. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

I was 11 years old, Sid just killed Nancy and it made the news......I also heard Anarchy and GSTQ for the first times ever in that news report. I would never be the same

Gimmix
Corner Soul

Post by Gimmix »

They've left a great, albeit scant musical legacy and I often wonder how they would have progressed musically if they hadn't split in '78...

John has spent untold time and energy making Malcolm out to be a cunt over the years (maybe he was...). The irony is that John has turned out to be one himself. Shame.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Gimmix wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 1:36pm
John has spent untold time and energy making Malcolm out to be a cunt over the years (maybe he was...). The irony is that John has turned out to be one himself. Shame.
The difference, perhaps, is that McLaren happily told people he was a con artist—tho claiming deeper intellectual and political sophistication to it all—whereas Lydon continues the delusion that he's a man of the people and all that. In both cases, thanks for the art and the inspiration, but I wouldn't want to be in the presence of either (well, Lydon, given McLaren is scamming angels or demons now).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Gimmix
Corner Soul

Post by Gimmix »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 2:15pm
Gimmix wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 1:36pm
The difference, perhaps, is that McLaren happily told people he was a con artist—tho claiming deeper intellectual and political sophistication to it all—whereas Lydon continues the delusion that he's a man of the people and all that. In both cases, thanks for the art and the inspiration, but I wouldn't want to be in the presence of either (well, Lydon, given McLaren is scamming angels or demons now).
Valid points. The Swindle continues :naughty: