One person's truth...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Sex Pistols

Post by Dr. Medulla »

white man wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 9:56am
Ah, I thought you meant fictional
It's all construction of a narrative and interpretation of events and people, so I put all those things under the same umbrella.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 Sep 2021, 1:23pm
So I'm currently listening to the new box set. I'm surprised at some of the in between banter and bits of guitar that have never been heard before on the Wessex cover versions and the Spedding tracks have in between banter and guitar and vocal parts never heard before. Sound is not as bright as I would've liked but it's a damn fascinating listen. Can't understand where the fuck these tracks have been for past 40 years. No idea why Cook n Jones needed to overdub these tracks for the Swindle either. I've been convinced for a very long that we've only ever heard the mono versions of the Wessex covers given a wider pan. Looks like I was right all along.
Reduced to £36 on Amazon UK at the moment. Marky, should I go for it?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
27 Nov 2021, 5:48am
Marky Dread wrote:
So I'm currently listening to the new box set. I'm surprised at some of the in between banter and bits of guitar that have never been heard before on the Wessex cover versions and the Spedding tracks have in between banter and guitar and vocal parts never heard before. Sound is not as bright as I would've liked but it's a damn fascinating listen. Can't understand where the fuck these tracks have been for past 40 years. No idea why Cook n Jones needed to overdub these tracks for the Swindle either. I've been convinced for a very long that we've only ever heard the mono versions of the Wessex covers given a wider pan. Looks like I was right all along.

Lots of mistakes on the box set including the packaging. Two versions of Goodman tracks from the same session that are placed on the box in the wrong ordered and dated back to front.

CD1
Chris Spedding - Majestic Studios Mixes, May 15th 1976

Problems
Pretty Vacant
No Feelings (Take 1)
No Feelings (Unreleased Take 2)
No Feelings (Unreleased Take 3)

The box claims that takes 2 & 3 of No Feelings are unreleased but it's actually takes 1 & 2. The good news here though is that all 5 of these Spedding tracks are the original stereo mixes. All previous versions have been mono.

Dave Goodman - Decibel Studios Mixes, July 30th 1976

Submission
Seventeen
Satellite
I Wanna Be Me
Pretty Vacant
Anarchy In The UK
No Feelings

This session that was originally recorded on Goodman's 4 track tape deck at the bands Denmark St. rehearsal, then taken to Riverside studios for overdubs, guitar, handclaps, kettle, vocals. And then finally mixed with some further overdubs at Decibel studios. All done during July 1976 and not mixed in May 1977 as the box claims. The box set has the overdubs at Riverside and the mixed versions from Decibel the wrong way round on the box set meaning you get the final mixes first! /b]

Dave Goodman - Wessex Studios Sessions October 17th 1976

Anarchy In The UK (Vinyl Quotation No.1)
Substitute
Don't Gimmie Me No Lip, Child
(I'm Not Your) Stepping Stone
Johnny B. Goode
Road Runner
Watcha Gonna Do About It?
Through My Eyes
No Fun (Full 7 Minute Version)

This session is now released in its original stereo form for the first time. All the previous versions like on "Pirates of Destiny" have been in mono. My guess is that when Cook & Jones overdubbed them for inclusion on the "Swindle" album they overdubbed the mono version so the tracks didn't sound too clutered. "What'cha Gonna Do About It" has not been taken from the same source as the rest of the tracks here. The version Dave Goodman sent me in the 80s now seems to be very genuine and in mono. Dave did tell me the master was damaged so I believe him. The version of No Fun still has a drop-out/glitch around the 6 min 20 secs mark. This glitch is not on the edited version used for the B-side to the "Pretty Vacant" single. I've repaired mine

CD2

Mike Thorne Manchester Square Studio Session Dec 11th 1976

Anarchy In The UK (Instrumental (Manchester Square backing track))
No Future (aka GSTQ)
Liar
Problems (Manchester Square Demos)
God Save The Queen (Instrumental)
Pretty Vacant (Instrumental)
No Feelings (Instrumental (EMI back tracks for TV))

Some debate as to the Instrumental tracks being from this Mike Thorne session or a later session at Wessex with Chris Thomas.

Dave Goodman Eden Studio Mixes January 28th 1977 (recorded at Gooseberry Studios Jan 1977)

New York
Unlimited Edition (aka EMI)
Liar
Pretty Vacant
Problems
No Future (aka GSTQ)
God Save The Queen (Unreleased Instrumental)

This brilliant Goodman session now includes an instrumental of "No Future (aka GSTQ)" from the masters

Dave Goodman Riverside Studio Mixes 31/5/77 (Recorded at Denmark Street July 1976 but mixed 1977)

Pretty Vacant
Seventeen
Satellite
No Feelings
I Wanna Be Me
Submission
Anarchy In The UK

This is the session I've mentioned further up which is in the wrong place and mixed in 1976 and belongs on the first disc

CD3

Wessex Studio

Anarchy In The UK (Wessex Studios Rejected version Oct. 1976)
Did You Know Wrong (Alternative Vocal March 3rd 1977)
17 (Alternative Vocal March April 21st 1977)
Satellite (Rough Mix April 22 1977)
Sub-Mission (Rough Mix April 22 1977)
Holidays In The Sun (Rough Mix April 22 1977)
EMI (Rough Mix April 22 1977)
17 (Rough Mix May 16 1977)
Holidays In The Sun (Alternative Mix June 11 1977)
Body (Demo & The Banter June 11 1977)
Sub-Mission (Alternative Mix August 12 1977)

Most of these released on the anniversary Bollocks box set.

Chris Thomas NMTB Sessions, Wessex Studios March - August 1977
EMI (Outtake - March 3rd 1977)
God Save The Queen (Outtake - March 3rd 1977)
Bodies (Outtake - Instrumental June 18th 1977)
EMI (Outtake - August 12th 1977)
Satellite (Outtake - August 12th 1977)
Submission (Version 1 - Alternative Mix - August 12th 1977)
EMI (Alternative Mix - April 22nd 1977)
Seventeen (Alternative Mix - April 21st 1977)
No Feelings (Alternative Mix - April 14th 1977)
Sub-Mission (Version 2 - Alternative Mix - August 12th 1977)

Some good outtakes included here that were not used on the anniversary box. But some others that claim to be alt. mixes but are the same takes some that were included on the Sex Box that were brickwalked but here the volume has been reduced!

John Boogie Tiberi Denmark Street Rehearsal Room, London, Sept 20th 1977

Belsen Was A Gas (Demo)
Belsen Was A Gas (Demo 2)

Lots of debate when these originally surfaced for the anniversary box set about Rotten's vocals being covered in reverb. Some suggesting the dodgy lyrics being covered in reverb because the band didn't want them heard etc. I think that's all nonsense and these takes are just recorded that way. Recorded at Demmark St. after the Bollocks sessions and by John Boogie Tiberi with basic equipment. So it's just a rough sketch and nothing more. Shame that this is the bands last time in a studio/rehearsal together

CD4
Spunk CD previously released and a waste of space totally unnecessarily.

Hope this helps. The box set is worth getting for the tracks you don't have. But boy they could've taken way more care.

You know a guy who has remastered it all and his versions sound way better.

It's up to you.😎

I messed up the bold thing. I'm too layzeeeeee to change it.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Nov 2021, 7:16am
laxman wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Lots of mistakes on the box set including the packaging. Two versions of Goodman tracks from the same session that are placed on the box in the wrong ordered and dated back to front.

CD1

Problems
Pretty Vacant
No Feelings (Take 1)

The box claims that takes 2 & 3 of No Feelings are unreleased but it's actually takes 1 & 2. The good news here though is that all 5 of these Spedding tracks are the original stereo mixes. All previous versions have been mono.

Submission
Seventeen
Satellite
I Wanna Be Me
Pretty Vacant
Anarchy In The UK
No Feelings

This session that was originally recorded on Goodman's 4 track tape deck at the bands Denmark St. rehearsal, then taken to Riverside studios for overdubs, guitar, handclaps, kettle, vocals. And then finally mixed with some further overdubs at Decibel studios. All done during July 1976 and not mixed in May 1977 as the box claims. The box set has the overdubs at Riverside and the mixed versions from Decibel the wrong way round on the box set meaning you get the final mixes first! /b]

Substitute
Johnny B. Goode
Road Runner
Through My Eyes

This session is now released in its original stereo form for the first time. All the previous versions like on "Pirates of Destiny" have been in mono. My guess is that when Cook & Jones overdubbed them for inclusion on the "Swindle" album they overdubbed the mono version so the tracks didn't sound too clutered. "What'cha Gonna Do About It" has not been taken from the same source as the rest of the tracks here. The version Dave Goodman sent me in the 80s now seems to be very genuine and in mono. Dave did tell me the master was damaged so I believe him. The version of No Fun still has a drop-out/glitch around the 6 min 20 secs mark. This glitch is not on the edited version used for the B-side to the "Pretty Vacant" single. I've repaired mine

CD2

No Future (aka GSTQ)
Liar

Some debate as to the Instrumental tracks being from this Mike Thorne session or a later session at Wessex with Chris Thomas.

Dave Goodman Eden Studio Mixes January 28th 1977 (recorded at Gooseberry Studios Jan 1977)

New York
Liar
Pretty Vacant
Problems
No Future (aka GSTQ)

This brilliant Goodman session now includes an instrumental of "No Future (aka GSTQ)" from the masters

Dave Goodman Riverside Studio Mixes 31/5/77 (Recorded at Denmark Street July 1976 but mixed 1977)

Pretty Vacant
Seventeen
Satellite
No Feelings
I Wanna Be Me
Submission
Anarchy In The UK

This is the session I've mentioned further up which is in the wrong place and mixed in 1976 and belongs on the first disc

CD3

Wessex Studio

Some good outtakes included here that were not used on the anniversary box. But some others that claim to be alt. mixes but are the same takes some that were included on the Sex Box that were brickwalked but here the volume has been reduced!

Belsen Was A Gas (Demo)

Lots of debate when these originally surfaced for the anniversary box set about Rotten's vocals being covered in reverb. Some suggesting the dodgy lyrics being covered in reverb because the band didn't want them heard etc. I think that's all nonsense and these takes are just recorded that way. Recorded at Demmark St. after the Bollocks sessions and by John Boogie Tiberi with basic equipment. So it's just a rough sketch and nothing more. Shame that this is the bands last time in a studio/rehearsal together

CD4

Hope this helps. The box set is worth getting for the tracks you don't have. But boy they could've taken way more care.

It's up to you.😎

Wow thanks very much, I will have a good read of that!

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

laxman wrote:
27 Nov 2021, 8:02am
Marky Dread wrote:
laxman wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

CD1

Problems
Pretty Vacant
No Feelings (Take 1)

Submission
Seventeen
Satellite
I Wanna Be Me
Pretty Vacant
Anarchy In The UK
No Feelings

Substitute
Johnny B. Goode
Road Runner
Through My Eyes

CD2

No Future (aka GSTQ)
Liar

New York
Liar
Pretty Vacant
Problems
No Future (aka GSTQ)

Pretty Vacant
Seventeen
Satellite
No Feelings
I Wanna Be Me
Submission
Anarchy In The UK

CD3

Wessex Studio

Belsen Was A Gas (Demo)

CD4

It's up to you.😎

Great information thanks Marky. I'm going to copy and paste that. Always a bit worrying when a fan knows more about the recordings than the people releasing them! I am still in two minds about whether to get it.

Your ears are better than mine, by the way. I listened to No Fun on Amazon Unlimited and couldn't hear the glitch (or could hear it but don't know what a glitch is :) )

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
27 Nov 2021, 11:10am
laxman wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
laxman wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

CD1

Problems
Pretty Vacant
No Feelings (Take 1)

Submission
Seventeen
Satellite
I Wanna Be Me
Pretty Vacant
Anarchy In The UK
No Feelings

Substitute
Johnny B. Goode
Road Runner
Through My Eyes

CD2

No Future (aka GSTQ)
Liar

New York
Liar
Pretty Vacant
Problems
No Future (aka GSTQ)

Pretty Vacant
Seventeen
Satellite
No Feelings
I Wanna Be Me
Submission
Anarchy In The UK

CD3

Wessex Studio

Belsen Was A Gas (Demo)

CD4

It's up to you.😎

Great information thanks Marky. I'm going to copy and paste that. Always a bit worrying when a fan knows more about the recordings than the people releasing them! I am still in two minds about whether to get it.

Your ears are better than mine, by the way. I listened to No Fun on Amazon Unlimited and couldn't hear the glitch (or could hear it but don't know what a glitch is :) )

Ignore my earlier time it's at the 5 min 38 secs mark. Just after John sings "No Fun uhh" just before second "uhh" you can hear the drop out.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

topperville
Dirty Punk

Post by topperville »

Marky Dread wrote:
laxman wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

CD1

Problems
Pretty Vacant
No Feelings (Take 1)

Submission
Seventeen
Satellite
I Wanna Be Me
Pretty Vacant
Anarchy In The UK
No Feelings

Substitute
Johnny B. Goode
Road Runner
Through My Eyes

CD2

No Future (aka GSTQ)
Liar

New York
Liar
Pretty Vacant
Problems
No Future (aka GSTQ)

Pretty Vacant
Seventeen
Satellite
No Feelings
I Wanna Be Me
Submission
Anarchy In The UK

CD3

Wessex Studio

Belsen Was A Gas (Demo)

CD4

It's up to you.😎

Great info Marky! No mention of mp3 sourcing or added 2 second gaps which people allege though? What are your thoughts on this? I haven’t got the skills or the hearing to tell… Did the person we know remaster the box set as is or replace some of the tracks with better sources as well?

Steve

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

topperville wrote:
27 Nov 2021, 2:59pm
Marky Dread wrote:
laxman wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

CD1

Problems
Pretty Vacant
No Feelings (Take 1)

Submission
Seventeen
Satellite
I Wanna Be Me
Pretty Vacant
Anarchy In The UK
No Feelings

Substitute
Johnny B. Goode
Road Runner
Through My Eyes

CD2

No Future (aka GSTQ)
Liar

New York
Liar
Pretty Vacant
Problems
No Future (aka GSTQ)

Pretty Vacant
Seventeen
Satellite
No Feelings
I Wanna Be Me
Submission
Anarchy In The UK

CD3

Wessex Studio

Belsen Was A Gas (Demo)

CD4

It's up to you.😎

Great info Marky! No mention of mp3 sourcing or added 2 second gaps which people allege though? What are your thoughts on this? I haven’t got the skills or the hearing to tell… Did the person we know remaster the box set as is or replace some of the tracks with better sources as well?

Steve

A lot of the chat regarding tracks being lossy was for the pre release stuff. Then you get everybody believing the physical product is sourced the same. I haven't checked and I'm not going to. There may be some lossy tracks on disc one but not as many that's been reported.

Also I noticed that "No Feelings" the actual Decibel final mix had a pop that clearly came from a vinyl source. I expect a vinyl source that had long since been transferred to CD.

My aim when remastering this stuff is to make it sound as good as possible to my ears. I've remixed every track on the set except disc 4 which runs at the wrong speed anyway just as the original "Spunk" vinyl does.

I've added a handful of tracks that are not included on the box that are alt. takes and mixes to make it as complete as possible. I know my remasters sound better than the box.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Nov 2021, 3:50pm
topperville wrote:
27 Nov 2021, 2:59pm
Marky Dread wrote:
laxman wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

CD1

Problems
Pretty Vacant
No Feelings (Take 1)

Submission
Seventeen
Satellite
I Wanna Be Me
Pretty Vacant
Anarchy In The UK
No Feelings

Substitute
Johnny B. Goode
Road Runner
Through My Eyes

CD2

No Future (aka GSTQ)
Liar

New York
Liar
Pretty Vacant
Problems
No Future (aka GSTQ)

Pretty Vacant
Seventeen
Satellite
No Feelings
I Wanna Be Me
Submission
Anarchy In The UK

CD3

Wessex Studio

Belsen Was A Gas (Demo)

CD4

It's up to you.😎

Steve

A lot of the chat regarding tracks being lossy was for the pre release stuff. Then you get everybody believing the physical product is sourced the same. I haven't checked and I'm not going to. There may be some lossy tracks on disc one but not as many that's been reported.

Also I noticed that "No Feelings" the actual Decibel final mix had a pop that clearly came from a vinyl source. I expect a vinyl source that had long since been transferred to CD.

My aim when remastering this stuff is to make it sound as good as possible to my ears. I've remixed every track on the set except disc 4 which runs at the wrong speed anyway just as the original "Spunk" vinyl does.

I've added a handful of tracks that are not included on the box that are alt. takes and mixes to make it as complete as possible. I know my remasters sound better than the box.

Please note I am not an audiophile. That is for others not me. I care less about where a file is sourced from and more about how it sounds and can I improve on it.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Nov 2021, 1:29pm
laxman wrote:
27 Nov 2021, 11:10am
laxman wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
laxman wrote:

CD1

Problems
Pretty Vacant
No Feelings (Take 1)

Submission
Seventeen
Satellite
I Wanna Be Me
Pretty Vacant
Anarchy In The UK
No Feelings

Substitute
Johnny B. Goode
Road Runner
Through My Eyes

CD2

No Future (aka GSTQ)
Liar

New York
Liar
Pretty Vacant
Problems
No Future (aka GSTQ)

Pretty Vacant
Seventeen
Satellite
No Feelings
I Wanna Be Me
Submission
Anarchy In The UK

CD3

Wessex Studio

Belsen Was A Gas (Demo)

CD4

It's up to you.😎

Ignore my earlier time it's at the 5 min 38 secs mark. Just after John sings "No Fun uhh" just before second "uhh" you can hear the drop out.

Just about, I think. This thread has been great. Listened to disc 2 of the Sex Box as a result of these discussions for the first time in quite a while.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

This drop out has gradually got worse with all the variants over the years. It wasn't on the edited original version used on the single.

The Wessex tracks that feature the cover versions are not in the correct order on the new box. Hence some noticing a two second gap between tracks.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

It ain't that good, but it's a seriously mesmerizing freak show.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jan 2022, 9:32pm
It ain't that good, but it's a seriously mesmerizing freak show.
With all the shit being thrown at them it's amazing it sounds that good. Add to that a virtually non existent bass player in mind and ability.

Originally called "Body" but changed because of an Alice Cooper song of the same name.

Re-reading Goodman's book recently about the time Pauline turned up at the Pistols dressing room and the band seeing this weird punky looking character they all left her with John. Goodman says when he and the other band members returned they found John looking as white as a sheet. Asking him "What's up" he told them about the aborted foetus she had with her in a carrier bag. All the song lyrics are genuine about her living in a tree house at a mental institution etc. Very sad tale really.

Powerful song and the one on first hearing of the album that made me think fuck my Mum and Step-father will blow a fuse if they hear this booming out of my bedroom.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia