Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jun 2022, 9:07am
revbob wrote:
07 Jun 2022, 8:43am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jun 2022, 8:12am
revbob wrote:
07 Jun 2022, 7:53am

NFTs of Ian sitting on the front porch at the Dischord House.
Tell me that wouldn't make you cry.
It would probably sting the most, Jello becoming a right wing religious bigot would probably cause me to burn my music collection.
I could see Jello going the awful way on masks and vaccinations, but fully joining the side that broke his brain in the 80s would be a stunner.
He posted a video of himself getting a covid vax early on, so far so good.
He’s a mix of social responsibility and crackpot skepticism in science, so it was a bit of a toss up in my mind how he’d go. Glad that the former won out.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Sex Pistols

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jun 2022, 10:22am
revbob wrote:
07 Jun 2022, 9:51am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jun 2022, 8:12am

Tell me that wouldn't make you cry.
It would probably sting the most, Jello becoming a right wing religious bigot would probably cause me to burn my music collection.
I could see Jello going the awful way on masks and vaccinations, but fully joining the side that broke his brain in the 80s would be a stunner.
He’s a mix of social responsibility and crackpot skepticism in science, so it was a bit of a toss up in my mind how he’d go. Glad that the former won out.
Yeah is a bit of a luddite.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
07 Jun 2022, 10:56am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jun 2022, 10:22am
revbob wrote:
07 Jun 2022, 9:51am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Yeah is a bit of a luddite.
I seem to recall him claiming not long ago that he doesn't own a computer or do email—all that is handled by interns.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

He uses the internet now, I think. He does regular YouTube videos from his house. He's been 100% on the right side of the issues of the last few years. That's the difference between just being sort of a kneejerk skeptic like some and rooting your skepticism in a more principled commitment to justice and equality, imho.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
07 Jun 2022, 12:29pm
He uses the internet now, I think. He does regular YouTube videos from his house. He's been 100% on the right side of the issues of the last few years. That's the difference between just being sort of a kneejerk skeptic like some and rooting your skepticism in a more principled commitment to justice and equality, imho.
I've emphasized that in my punk seminar, that there's a difference between being oppositional—that's the principle at work—and being oppositional as a tool connected to other principles. The former is entirely reactive and floating; the latter is grounded and guided by a vision for a better society. The former is also a lot easier than the latter.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Well I watched the first two episodes last night and while I think John's a dick, I'm much more on his side in relation to this show. It's really, really bad. Compelling, but awful.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
07 Jun 2022, 1:56pm
Well I watched the first two episodes last night and while I think John's a dick, I'm much more on his side in relation to this show. It's really, really bad. Compelling, but awful.
I'm kinder to it (for reasons I've shared over the past week), but I don't think this is an unfair assessment.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
There's been enough myth over the years so I really dont know what is/isnt the truth.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
07 Jun 2022, 5:39pm
Kory wrote:
There's been enough myth over the years so I really dont know what is/isnt the truth.
McLaren for the win!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
Kory wrote:
The truth (however much is included in the show) isn't really my beef (although there is some glaring shit), but rather, the awful, awful dialogue and structure. God I hate biopics.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
07 Jun 2022, 5:49pm
revbob wrote:
Kory wrote:
The truth (however much is included in the show) isn't really my beef (although there is some glaring shit), but rather, the awful, awful dialogue and structure. God I hate biopics.
I'm watching with my partner - who doesn't know much about the band, so I'm clueing her in now and then, but mostly just watching as pure entertainment. It's not great, but not terrible. Some of the characters (especially John) veer too close to being caricatures and the dialogue can be clunky at times.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
07 Jun 2022, 6:29pm
Kory wrote:
revbob wrote:
Kory wrote:
I'm watching with my partner - who doesn't know much about the band, so I'm clueing her in now and then, but mostly just watching as pure entertainment. It's not great, but not terrible. Some of the characters (especially John) veer too close to being caricatures and the dialogue can be clunky at times.
I think they do a decent job of portraying John as a guy who's definitely covering for personal insecurities without hammering you with it though. Still weird to me that the guy playing him doesn't have John's singing range.

The main thing that sticks out to me after 4 episodes is that they haven't gone at all into how influential they were even at the time, except for a short scene with the nascent Banshees. Where's the 100 Club punk festival? No sequence with the LFTH in Manchester, seriously? Hopefully they'll get to the Anarchy Tour in episode 5 but of course Sid wasn't in the band by that point.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
08 Jun 2022, 2:14pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:
revbob wrote:
Kory wrote:
I think they do a decent job of portraying John as a guy who's definitely covering for personal insecurities without hammering you with it though. Still weird to me that the guy playing him doesn't have John's singing range.

The main thing that sticks out to me after 4 episodes is that they haven't gone at all into how influential they were even at the time, except for a short scene with the nascent Banshees. Where's the 100 Club punk festival? No sequence with the LFTH in Manchester, seriously? Hopefully they'll get to the Anarchy Tour in episode 5 but of course Sid wasn't in the band by that point.
No, their influence isn't a focus because it is, fundamentally, a story about Steve. The series is called Pistol, not Pistols. So the ramifications is on Steve, not the larger world around them. Not saying that's a good choice or a bad choice, but it is the choice in focus that they made.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jun 2022, 2:42pm
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:
revbob wrote:

No, their influence isn't a focus because it is, fundamentally, a story about Steve. The series is called Pistol, not Pistols. So the ramifications is on Steve, not the larger world around them. Not saying that's a good choice or a bad choice, but it is the choice in focus that they made.
I'd counter that if the focus is on Steve, the influence/importance of the band he started should also be addressed, because as Glen points out before he gets fired, it is a rebuttal to Steve's low sense of self-worth.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
08 Jun 2022, 7:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jun 2022, 2:42pm
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:

I'd counter that if the focus is on Steve, the influence/importance of the band he started should also be addressed, because as Glen points out before he gets fired, it is a rebuttal to Steve's low sense of self-worth.
In terms of narrative, it loses focus if it tries to do both. It can't be a story of Steve *and* a story of everyone else. And, in terms of Steve's sense of self-worth, he doesn't emerge from this story in a good place. The Steve in 1979 or 1980 doesn't especially care about what the Pistols accomplished or inspired because he's fallen into heroin.