Marky Dread wrote:
20 May 2022, 2:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2022, 2:29pm
Marky Dread wrote:
20 May 2022, 2:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2022, 1:47pm

That's kind of my curiosity here. The conventional narrative is that the Grundy incident initiates a series of events that makes the Sex Pistols public enemy #1. It's ginned up by the tabloids, definitely, but presumably it's not the respected classes that take their cue from the tabloids. So what was the working class (but non-punk) view in all this? There had to have been those who, far from kicking in their tv, thought, "Ha! Good on ya, boys!" But that perspective doesn't get an airing in the tellings of the Pistols story. So I'm curious about people who weren't appalled and disgusted, even if they weren't fans of the band.
The country was in a state at the time. The social impact of failing governments with 3 day working weeks etc. You know that story it's well documented. But it's essential from the point of view that the working class had been dumped on for way too long. Swearing would've been frowned upon by an disapproving older generation unless they were doing it themselves. That's the sort hypocritical bullshit the Sex Pistols were breaking through. We saw it smiled and simply laughed with a "what did the expect" anyway attitude.

The press blew it up out of all proportions and were deliberately looking for outrage and encouraging the generation gap. Which lead to the hatred that then followed for punks. I was physically assaulted on more than one occasion for wearing that GStQ t-shirt. But just accepted it was par for the course. I told my sports teacher to "fuck off" for accusing me of something I hadn't done (stealing) and I received a punch in the face for my troubles. Different times indeed.
Your grandfather excepted, would you say, then, there was a generational divide within the working class over this kind of thing (that is, how you conduct yourself in public)?
All classes I would say. Swearing was seen as ill mannered. But many would say there was a time an place for it to be more acceptable. Down the pub with the lads, don't swear in front of women or the kids. Unless of course the woman worked behind the bar in the pub. All the usual rubbish.

I swear when I feel the need to. I don't do it deliberately to draw attention to being from any class system. It's just nonsense really.
The Boss and I are pretty bad with lazy foul language. We blame it on Saskatchewan. Fucking dumbass province.
Ha! But that's perfect two intelligent people deciding what's acceptable in each other's company.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Sex Pistols

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 May 2022, 2:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2022, 2:51pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
20 May 2022, 2:03pm

The country was in a state at the time. The social impact of failing governments with 3 day working weeks etc. You know that story it's well documented. But it's essential from the point of view that the working class had been dumped on for way too long. Swearing would've been frowned upon by an disapproving older generation unless they were doing it themselves. That's the sort hypocritical bullshit the Sex Pistols were breaking through. We saw it smiled and simply laughed with a "what did the expect" anyway attitude.

The press blew it up out of all proportions and were deliberately looking for outrage and encouraging the generation gap. Which lead to the hatred that then followed for punks. I was physically assaulted on more than one occasion for wearing that GStQ t-shirt. But just accepted it was par for the course. I told my sports teacher to "fuck off" for accusing me of something I hadn't done (stealing) and I received a punch in the face for my troubles. Different times indeed.
Your grandfather excepted, would you say, then, there was a generational divide within the working class over this kind of thing (that is, how you conduct yourself in public)?
All classes I would say. Swearing was seen as ill mannered. But many would say there was a time an place for it to be more acceptable. Down the pub with the lads, don't swear in front of women or the kids. Unless of course the woman worked behind the bar in the pub. All the usual rubbish.

I swear when I feel the need to. I don't do it deliberately to draw attention to being from any class system. It's just nonsense really.
The Boss and I are pretty bad with lazy foul language. We blame it on Saskatchewan. Fucking dumbass province.
Ha! But that's perfect two intelligent people deciding what's acceptable in each other's company.
Oh, if only it were solely in each other's company. My biggest challenge when lecturing is to keep my trucker mouth in check. Seriously.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2022, 3:00pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Oh, if only it were solely in each other's company. My biggest challenge when lecturing is to keep my trucker mouth in check. Seriously.
Ah ok then fuck it! :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 May 2022, 3:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

That's the spirit, you dumb cunt!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2022, 3:28pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I don't even think of it as cursing anymore. Fuck is such an integral part of my lexicon I don't even think about it being a "bad" word.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Oi! not so much of the "dumb" you fucker!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 May 2022, 3:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Awww, it's a fucking word, you silly bugger. ;)

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 May 2022, 3:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I don't even think of it as cursing anymore. Fuck is such an integral part of my lexicon I don't even think about it being a "bad" word.
I kind of regret that, too. It's lost its specialness from lazy overuse. Stupid Saskatchewan.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2022, 3:51pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I kind of regret that, too. It's lost its specialness from lazy overuse. Stupid Saskatchewan.
I'm a fan, I prefer that no word be off limits unless its primary purpose is to dehumanize somebody. Why should fuck be more offensive than chair?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 May 2022, 3:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I'm a fan, I prefer that no word be off limits unless its primary purpose is to dehumanize somebody. Why should fuck be more offensive than chair?
No, I just mean using it with purpose, not as a comma.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2022, 3:57pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

No, I just mean using it with purpose, not as a comma.
Oh yeah, I see what you mean there. I usually just say it louder when I want that. Or really lean on the Fffffffff.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I'm a fan, I prefer that no word be off limits unless its primary pwurpose is to dehumanize somebody. Why should fuck be more offensive than chair?
Because I just tripped over that fucking chair!!!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2022, 3:50pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

"Shag" is a "fucking word" unless you are simply dancing 'round the issue. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 May 2022, 4:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Hello,

In the US (Canada?), shag usually means go collect something - baseballs, tennis balls, soccer balls, etc. It will appear in use such as "After we shoot, let's go and shag everything behind the goal." We US players would always enjoy the look on English players when we told them during a shooting drill to get behind the goal and shag.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
20 May 2022, 5:04pm
Marky Dread wrote:
20 May 2022, 4:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

In the US (Canada?), shag usually means go collect something - baseballs, tennis balls, soccer balls, etc. It will appear in use such as "After we shoot, let's go and shag everything behind the goal." We US players would always enjoy the look on English players when we told them during a shooting drill to get behind the goal and shag.
Ye olde strange Canadian customs. :scared:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia