Sex Pistols

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Sex Pistols

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
11 Feb 2020, 11:12pm
I'm much luckier than you in some regard. My favorite class is Sport and Exercise Psychology as I sometimes find myself getting so excited about the material that many students get drawn in as they see application to their own lives and experiences - plus I get really involved in stories about my own experiences and applications. Your material may lend itself better to grad students provided they aren't afraid to become engaged. Maybe project video's from youtube with lyrics and require students to sing along? Class karaoke to break that wall?
Heh, given my own reluctance to sing, I don't think I could demand or endure that. But, nah, it's just the nature of students. My course evaluations are consistently strong, so I know that most aren't bored or despise me. Part of it, tho, is my subject matter and expectations. Because I specialize in popular culture, a significant chunk (maybe even a majority) of students come in thinking it's going to be fun meaning easy, rather than fun but challenging. That's a steady problem for me, those who think we're just going to share top ten lists and why Star Wars is awesome/sucks.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

More Pistols stuff. Atlanta 1978 showed up on Dime a Dozen, a different source (seemingly) than what I have. Here's the write up:
SEX PISTOLS
05 January 1978
Great South-East Music Hall, Atlanta, Georgia

Second generation soundboard on RH's Maxell XLII-S 90 cassette received from SS of Atlanta> Denon DR-M11 cassette deck playback> M-Audio MicrotrackII WAV(capture to WAV 24bit/48kHz)> 16bit/44.1kHz> CD Wave Editor tracksplit> Traders Little Helper FLAC level 8

01 God Save The Queen
02 I Wanna Be Me
03 Seventeen
04 New York
05 Bodies
06 Submission
07 Holidays In The Sun
08 E.M.I.
09 No Feelings
10 Problems
11 Pretty Vacant

Johnny Rotten – lead vocals
Steve Jones – guitar
Paul Cook – drums
Sid Vicious – bass

Please note level increase on cassette source near end of Submission that is maintained for remainder of recording. This causes no distortion as I transferred earlier part slightly lower than I would normally to allow for later increase.

Amusing to note that RH's source tape has written on it by SS of Atlanta: "Do not copy -> Death penalty will be enforced!"

This copy has 0:57 more intro than other bootleg releases:

Lydon: "Now, we came to dance. What did you come for?"
Jones*: "You don't look like a bunch of farmers."
Lydon: "I thought you were all cowboys down here."
Jones*: "Yeah, that's what we thought."
Lydon: " ...I'm so frightened" (sarcastically)
*could be Sid or Cook, can't tell for sure.

...before Lydon says "Well, my name's John and this is, uh, the Sex Pistols" on all other copies. Soundboard copies I can find are missing final track, Anarchy In The UK, which is on audience recording.
This final track can be found officially here from VHS:
https://www.discogs.com/Sex-Pistols-Kil ... se/4654403

A soundboard bootleg CD, also titled Kill The Hippies, is of slightly inferior quality of this recording with cut intro plus last three tracks from 11 Dec 1977 Maasbree, Holland seeded here 2016 and 2009:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=553611
plus info here:
https://www.discogs.com/Sex-Pistols-Kil ... se/1751957

I haven't heard My Name Is John bootleg which claims to be from
master reel which is also missing Anarchy In The UK:
https://www.discogs.com/Sex-Pistols-My- ... se/3606025
Much appreciated if anyone has this and can share to compare.
Can upload if anyone asks.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 9:36am
More Pistols stuff. Atlanta 1978 showed up on Dime a Dozen, a different source (seemingly) than what I have. Here's the write up:
SEX PISTOLS
05 January 1978

Second generation soundboard on RH's Maxell XLII-S 90 cassette received from SS of Atlanta> Denon DR-M11 cassette deck playback> M-Audio MicrotrackII WAV(capture to WAV 24bit/48kHz)> 16bit/44.1kHz> CD Wave Editor tracksplit> Traders Little Helper FLAC level 8

01 God Save The Queen
02 I Wanna Be Me
03 Seventeen
04 New York
05 Bodies
06 Submission
07 Holidays In The Sun
08 E.M.I.
09 No Feelings
10 Problems
11 Pretty Vacant

Steve Jones – guitar
Paul Cook – drums
Sid Vicious – bass

Please note level increase on cassette source near end of Submission that is maintained for remainder of recording. This causes no distortion as I transferred earlier part slightly lower than I would normally to allow for later increase.

Amusing to note that RH's source tape has written on it by SS of Atlanta: "Do not copy -> Death penalty will be enforced!"

...before Lydon says "Well, my name's John and this is, uh, the Sex Pistols" on all other copies. Soundboard copies I can find are missing final track, Anarchy In The UK, which is on audience recording.

A soundboard bootleg CD, also titled Kill The Hippies, is of slightly inferior quality of this recording with cut intro plus last three tracks from 11 Dec 1977 Maasbree, Holland seeded here 2016 and 2009:
plus info here:

Got ' em all. The Atlanta show with the longer intro has been around for years.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 12:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
SEX PISTOLS
05 January 1978

01 God Save The Queen
02 I Wanna Be Me
03 Seventeen
04 New York
05 Bodies
06 Submission
07 Holidays In The Sun
08 E.M.I.
09 No Feelings
10 Problems
11 Pretty Vacant

Steve Jones – guitar
Paul Cook – drums
Sid Vicious – bass

plus info here:

Got ' em all. The Atlanta showed with the longer intro has been around for years.
I knew you'd have it because, well, you always do, but I'd never come across it.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 12:59pm
Marky Dread wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 12:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
SEX PISTOLS
05 January 1978

01 God Save The Queen
02 I Wanna Be Me
03 Seventeen
04 New York
05 Bodies
06 Submission
07 Holidays In The Sun
08 E.M.I.
09 No Feelings
10 Problems
11 Pretty Vacant

Steve Jones – guitar
Paul Cook – drums
Sid Vicious – bass

plus info here:

Got ' em all. The Atlanta showed with the longer intro has been around for years.
I knew you'd have it because, well, you always do, but I'd never come across it.
Well there is an even longer intro where John shouts "Where's my beer?"before all the other banter above. It's Sid not Steve who shouts "you don't look like a bunch of farmers" . I've also got the full show with "AitU.K." as the final track.

The "My Name Is John" bootleg was released on a 6 cd box set with other famous gigs such as Winterland etc. It has good sound but not the last track. I would suggest the upload is the same thing.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 1:48pm
Well there is an even longer intro where John shouts "Where's my beer?"before all the other banter above. It's Sid not Steve who shouts "you don't look like a bunch of farmers" . I've also got the full show with "AitU.K." as the final track.
Yeah, definitely Sid and John engaging in the banter, not Steve and John.
The "My Name Is John" bootleg was released on a 6 cd box set with other famous gigs such as Winterland etc. It has good sound but not the last track. I would suggest the upload is the same thing.
I've got a packaged collection of boots, which I thought you were talking about, but I see that it's different (seven discs—Power of the Pistols, Where Were You in '77?, and other fairly common ones). The Atlanta one I had already was under the title Kill the Hippies, which has a different source but has Anarchy, No Fun, and Liar at the end.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 2:19pm
Marky Dread wrote:
I've got a packaged collection of boots, which I thought you were talking about, but I see that it's different (seven discs—Power of the Pistols, Where Were You in '77?, and other fairly common ones). The Atlanta one I had already was under the title Kill the Hippies, which has a different source but has Anarchy, No Fun, and Liar at the end.
Yeah on the "Kill the Hippies" boot the last three tracks are from Maasbre not Atlanta. "The Indecent Exposure" bootleg box is the best of all those box sets but a bit pricey now.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 2:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Yeah on the "Kill the Hippies" boot the last three tracks are from Maasbre not Atlanta. "The Indecent Exposure" bootleg box is the best of all those box sets but a bit pricey now.
Oh, so that's not even Atlanta's Anarchy performance?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 3:03pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
No not on Kll the Hippies. No the 3 final tracks are from Maasbre and taken from a Tv show.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 3:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
No not on Kll the Hippies. No the 3 final tracks are from Maasbre and taken from a Tv show.
I expect more from Sex Pistols boots!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 3:26pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Haha. Yeah like PiL tracks. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 3:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Anyway, thanks for the heads up. I've located that box set on SoulSeek. I've got all of those in one form or another, but why not in another bundling?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 3:35pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Anyway, thanks for the heads up. I've located that box set on SoulSeek. I've got all of those in one form or another, but why not in another bundling?
I've got another 15 cd box set called "Pretty Blank" but it only has about 3 discs of any worth. Pistols boots huh.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 3:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I've got another 15 cd box set called "Pretty Blank" but it only has about 3 discs of any worth. Pistols boots huh.
Just looked that one up. The bootleggers are as bad as Virgin for repackaging. Kinda warms the heart.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 4:00pm
Marky Dread wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 3:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Just looked that one up. The bootleggers are as bad as Virgin for repackaging. Kinda warms the heart.
It's been a bloody minefield over the years. But now at least we have all the Goodman demos and the Chris Thomas demos in great quality. Then the handful of half decent live boots.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia