Sex Pistols

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Sex Pistols

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 4:21pm
It's been a bloody minefield over the years. But now at least we have all the Goodman demos and the Chris Thomas demos in great quality. Then the handful of half decent live boots.
One thing that surprises me is that the US tour dates aren't all captured properly. Half of them are in a good quality, sure, but given the intense spectacle of it all—the infamous Sex Pistols come to America—you'd think people on the inside would have made a point of recording them.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 5:01pm
Marky Dread wrote:
It's been a bloody minefield over the years. But now at least we have all the Goodman demos and the Chris Thomas demos in great quality. Then the handful of half decent live boots.
One thing that surprises me is that the US tour dates aren't all captured properly. Half of them are in a good quality, sure, but given the intense spectacle of it all—the infamous Sex Pistols come to America—you'd think people on the inside would have made a point of recording them.
Oh hell yeah, I 100% agree. I still hold out for some better tapes. After the sound check from Winterland finally came to light and in really good quality. So you never know.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
I have a bootleg video and its quality is actually pretty good. I'm sure we've all seen it.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 7:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
I have a bootleg video and its quality is actually pretty good. I'm sure we've all seen it.
I've got San Francisco and Dallas, plus DOA. Do you mean something else?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 7:27pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
I think it's the DOA one, it's sort of a compilation of each date, though I haven't looked at it in forever.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I have an original copy of Spunk. I know they are now common and even have CD release etc. but my copy is one of the genuine ones. I’ve had it since 79 and got it from a guy I worked with in a record shop who had it since new.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 7:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
I think it's the DOA one, it's sort of a compilation of each date, though I haven't looked at it in forever.
Yup, likely DOA. That was the first Sex Pistols footage I ever saw, and it was like opening the Ark of the Covenant. And it was a few years after that before I saw the Great Rock n Roll Swindle, when the student union at my university brought it in. It's really odd to think of a time when these things weren't easily available. Not that I'm making it sound like the experience was more rewarding because of the scarcity—it's much better now to have it wide open—but it did feel like getting a peek at something forbidden.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 8:19pm
Kory wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 7:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yup, likely DOA. That was the first Sex Pistols footage I ever saw, and it was like opening the Ark of the Covenant. And it was a few years after that before I saw the Great Rock n Roll Swindle, when the student union at my university brought it in. It's really odd to think of a time when these things weren't easily available. Not that I'm making it sound like the experience was more rewarding because of the scarcity—it's much better now to have it wide open—but it did feel like getting a peek at something forbidden.
The Pistols (short lived) career was like that and was why I and my school mates loved them and their mystery. We weren’t old enough to travel to gigs ( not that there were many) so we read more about them in the paper or snippets on TV than we ever heard them due to the lack of radio play. They became almost mythical to us.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 8:27pm
The Pistols (short lived) career was like that and was why I and my school mates loved them and their mystery. We weren’t old enough to travel to gigs ( not that there were many) so we read more about them in the paper or snippets on TV than we ever heard them due to the lack of radio play. They became almost mythical to us.
Think about being a kid in a shitkicker town on the Canadian prairies! They were somehow both spectacle and obscure. They seemed like they represented something really important and dangerous, both because I was a teenager, which is when that kind of stuff grabs you, and finding information was relatively difficult. MTV/MuchMusic made so many contemporary bands accessible, but that group was still strange. I suspect I was attracted to Joy Division for the same reason—that obscurity and mythology that encouraged inventing your own meaning.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

One day someone will compile a definitive list of best sources for all the Pistols studio sessions.
I know there's listings of the session dates/locations, and much of it if not all is available on legit releases - eg. Never Mind 40th Anniversary box set, Sex Box 3CD set, Spunk, No Future UK, etc. But Dave Goodman also drip-fed so much stuff over many years on dodgy, semi-legit albums galore with alternate mixes and edits (studio chat, count-ins etc) so it's hard to know what you need.
For example, apparently there was a freebie 7" single with Spiral Scratch magazine which has extra studio chat unavailable elsewhere

https://www.discogs.com/Sex-Pistols-Pre ... ase/864451

One thing I love about the Pistols demos is all the chat and occasional bickering!
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JohnS wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 10:34pm
One day someone will compile a definitive list of best sources for all the Pistols studio sessions.
I know there's listings of the session dates/locations, and much of it if not all is available on legit releases - eg. Never Mind 40th Anniversary box set, Sex Box 3CD set, Spunk, No Future UK, etc. But Dave Goodman also drip-fed so much stuff over many years on dodgy, semi-legit albums galore with alternate mixes and edits (studio chat, count-ins etc) so it's hard to know what you need.
For example, apparently there was a freebie 7" single with Spiral Scratch magazine which has extra studio chat unavailable elsewhere

https://www.discogs.com/Sex-Pistols-Pre ... ase/864451

One thing I love about the Pistols demos is all the chat and occasional bickering!
I used to own that Spiral Scratch magazine with the 7". It's not rare the chat is on many other releases. I first had it on the Japanese Vap records release of "The Swindle Continues" this album of Goodman demos/Swindle outtakes/Ex Pistols tracks has been released numerous times. The chat is Steve saying "are we gonna do that Vacant thing" then he shouts "Oi!" Over the Pretty Vacant intro. Also on one of the tracks "New York" I think John says at the end "I get tired of fucking ending that".

All the Goodman stuff has been released now and it's a minefield because Dave messed around with stuff. I met Dave in the mid 80s and he sent me a tape that had "Watcha Gonna Do About it" on it and it has a slightly longer intro than the what appeared on the Swindle album. I did digitize it and I shared it on a compilation with a very rare version of Anarchy in the U.K. and the monitor mixes of the Lansdowne and Wessex Swindle tracks before Steve and Paul over dubbed them.

I shared it with Dr. Medulla so if you ask him nicely he might possibly share it with you. As I don't have an internet connection to upload. I must insist it be via PMs though as I don't want it shared here for any Tom, Dick or Harry to upload to YouTube. It needs to be kept private.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Fun interview between Steve and Lydon on 'Jonesy's Jukebox', 2006.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

muppet hi fi wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 3:46am
They collectively look about 500lbs lighter in that picture.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 11:55am
muppet hi fi wrote:
Lydon especially doesn't look like a Hutt.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 12:01pm
revbob wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 11:55am
muppet hi fi wrote:
Lydon especially doesn't look like a Hutt.
By very minute degrees. The one thing about Jones is he doesn't come across as an asshole.