Sex Pistols

General music discussion.
Post Reply
User avatar
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 44832
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Sex Pistols

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
23 May 2019, 12:19am
Not sure whether to post here or the Specials thread.
This is news to me but in March 1978 Jerry Dammers wanted to replace Terry Hall with John Lydon???
I am sure there were plenty of bands that would have liked to have had Lydon at that time but I don’t know if Dammers actively tried to do any recruiting??
Marky can you shed some light on it???
In December '77 the Sex Pistols played Mr. Georges night club in Coventry and Jerry was seen hustling for a support slot for The Automatics but roadie Roadent 'Steve Connelly' and friend of the band Steve English give Jerry the bum's rush.
At this point Terry had just replaced Tim Strickland as vocalist for The Automatics and was hoping the Pistols support slot would be his debut.
In Feb/March '78 The Automatics play a short residency at Mr. Georges night club as support to Ultavox!/Generation X/XTC.
In March '78 The Automatics get new manager Chris Gilbey who had previously managed The Saints and he asks John 'Rotten' Lydon to front the band and replace Terry. Lydon/Rotten turns him down.
Image

User avatar
101Walterton
The Best
Posts: 20238
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Sex Pistols

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 May 2019, 7:05am
101Walterton wrote:
23 May 2019, 12:19am
Not sure whether to post here or the Specials thread.
This is news to me but in March 1978 Jerry Dammers wanted to replace Terry Hall with John Lydon???
I am sure there were plenty of bands that would have liked to have had Lydon at that time but I don’t know if Dammers actively tried to do any recruiting??
Marky can you shed some light on it???
In December '77 the Sex Pistols played Mr. Georges night club in Coventry and Jerry was seen hustling for a support slot for The Automatics but roadie Roadent 'Steve Connelly' and friend of the band Steve English give Jerry the bum's rush.
At this point Terry had just replaced Tim Strickland as vocalist for The Automatics and was hoping the Pistols support slot would be his debut.
In Feb/March '78 The Automatics play a short residency at Mr. Georges night club as support to Ultavox!/Generation X/XTC.
In March '78 The Automatics get new manager Chris Gilbey who had previously managed The Saints and he asks John 'Rotten' Lydon to front the band and replace Terry. Lydon/Rotten turns him down.
Thanks that makes more sense now.

User avatar
101Walterton
The Best
Posts: 20238
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Sex Pistols

Post by 101Walterton »

Has anyone seen or heard The Sex Pistols Experience?
They get a good write up plus quotes ‘allegedly’ from Steve Jones.

User avatar
101Walterton
The Best
Posts: 20238
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Sex Pistols

Post by 101Walterton »

Not bad


User avatar
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 86747
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Sex Pistols

Post by Dr. Medulla »

If a Pistols tribute band has a Sid character, I expect him to be incompetent and self-destructive. Don't be selling me no bag of magic beans where this Sid knows what the hell he's doing.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

User avatar
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 15388
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: Sex Pistols

Post by Silent Majority »

That's the Rotten who sang with Wobble and Levene, isn't it?
there's a lot of wreckage in the ravine


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

https://www.patreon.com/jimslater
A new short story of mine appears here monthly (amongst other fun stuff)

User avatar
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 44832
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Sex Pistols

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 8:37am
That's the Rotten who sang with Wobble and Levene, isn't it?
Yes Nathan.
Image

User avatar
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 32311
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Sex Pistols

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 6:57am
Has anyone seen or heard The Sex Pistols Experience?
They get a good write up plus quotes ‘allegedly’ from Steve Jones.
We played with them about 2 months ago at a festival, they were really good. Even their attitude was authentic, telling the crowd to fuck off and being massively belligerent. The funny thing was "Johnny Rotten" was staying in the same B & B as us and was really polite to the staff at breakfast next morning, was funny seeing the contrast.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

User avatar
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 44832
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Sex Pistols

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 12:49pm
101Walterton wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 6:57am
Has anyone seen or heard The Sex Pistols Experience?
They get a good write up plus quotes ‘allegedly’ from Steve Jones.
We played with them about 2 months ago at a festival, they were really good. Even their attitude was authentic, telling the crowd to fuck off and being massively belligerent. The funny thing was "Johnny Rotten" was staying in the same B & B as us and was really polite to the staff at breakfast next morning, was funny seeing the contrast.
Ha great stuff!
Image

User avatar
101Walterton
The Best
Posts: 20238
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Sex Pistols

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 12:49pm
101Walterton wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 6:57am
Has anyone seen or heard The Sex Pistols Experience?
They get a good write up plus quotes ‘allegedly’ from Steve Jones.
We played with them about 2 months ago at a festival, they were really good. Even their attitude was authentic, telling the crowd to fuck off and being massively belligerent. The funny thing was "Johnny Rotten" was staying in the same B & B as us and was really polite to the staff at breakfast next morning, was funny seeing the contrast.
Haha might go and see them then. Was he still dressed as Johnny Rotten or Nathan?

User avatar
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 32311
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Sex Pistols

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 5:44pm
Heston wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 12:49pm
101Walterton wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 6:57am
Has anyone seen or heard The Sex Pistols Experience?
They get a good write up plus quotes ‘allegedly’ from Steve Jones.
We played with them about 2 months ago at a festival, they were really good. Even their attitude was authentic, telling the crowd to fuck off and being massively belligerent. The funny thing was "Johnny Rotten" was staying in the same B & B as us and was really polite to the staff at breakfast next morning, was funny seeing the contrast.
Haha might go and see them then. Was he still dressed as Johnny Rotten or Nathan?
Definitely Nathan, and he had a blonde Spinal Tap wife with him telling him what he should be doing that day.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

User avatar
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 86747
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Sex Pistols

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 6:13pm
101Walterton wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 5:44pm
Heston wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 12:49pm
101Walterton wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 6:57am
Has anyone seen or heard The Sex Pistols Experience?
They get a good write up plus quotes ‘allegedly’ from Steve Jones.
We played with them about 2 months ago at a festival, they were really good. Even their attitude was authentic, telling the crowd to fuck off and being massively belligerent. The funny thing was "Johnny Rotten" was staying in the same B & B as us and was really polite to the staff at breakfast next morning, was funny seeing the contrast.
Haha might go and see them then. Was he still dressed as Johnny Rotten or Nathan?
Definitely Nathan, and he had a blonde Spinal Tap wife with him telling him what he should be doing that day.
So, sort of his own Nancy?
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

User avatar
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 32311
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Sex Pistols

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 6:21pm
Heston wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 6:13pm
101Walterton wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 5:44pm
Heston wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 12:49pm
101Walterton wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 6:57am
Has anyone seen or heard The Sex Pistols Experience?
They get a good write up plus quotes ‘allegedly’ from Steve Jones.
We played with them about 2 months ago at a festival, they were really good. Even their attitude was authentic, telling the crowd to fuck off and being massively belligerent. The funny thing was "Johnny Rotten" was staying in the same B & B as us and was really polite to the staff at breakfast next morning, was funny seeing the contrast.
Haha might go and see them then. Was he still dressed as Johnny Rotten or Nathan?
Definitely Nathan, and he had a blonde Spinal Tap wife with him telling him what he should be doing that day.
So, sort of his own Nancy?
Yep.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

User avatar
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 32311
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Sex Pistols

Post by Heston »

Interesting that the Pistols were filmed performing two more songs on So It Goes that weren't broadcast. What a shame if these historical performances (the Pistols tv debut) were thrown in the studio bin.

From Dave Goodman's diary...

https://archive.is/20070928013852/http: ... t_1976.htm
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

User avatar
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 86747
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Sex Pistols

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 6:20pm
Interesting that the Pistols were filmed performing two more songs on So It Goes that weren't broadcast. What a shame if these historical performances (the Pistols tv debut) were thrown in the studio bin.

From Dave Goodman's diary...

https://archive.is/20070928013852/http: ... t_1976.htm
Can't believe they wouldn't have surfaced by now if they still existed (unless the archiving process was super shit and who knows what tape they're on).
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Post Reply