Sex Pistols

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Sex Pistols

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
23 May 2019, 12:19am
Not sure whether to post here or the Specials thread.
This is news to me but in March 1978 Jerry Dammers wanted to replace Terry Hall with John Lydon???
I am sure there were plenty of bands that would have liked to have had Lydon at that time but I don’t know if Dammers actively tried to do any recruiting??
Marky can you shed some light on it???
In December '77 the Sex Pistols played Mr. Georges night club in Coventry and Jerry was seen hustling for a support slot for The Automatics but roadie Roadent 'Steve Connelly' and friend of the band Steve English give Jerry the bum's rush.
At this point Terry had just replaced Tim Strickland as vocalist for The Automatics and was hoping the Pistols support slot would be his debut.
In Feb/March '78 The Automatics play a short residency at Mr. Georges night club as support to Ultavox!/Generation X/XTC.
In March '78 The Automatics get new manager Chris Gilbey who had previously managed The Saints and he asks John 'Rotten' Lydon to front the band and replace Terry. Lydon/Rotten turns him down.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 May 2019, 7:05am
101Walterton wrote:
23 May 2019, 12:19am
Not sure whether to post here or the Specials thread.
This is news to me but in March 1978 Jerry Dammers wanted to replace Terry Hall with John Lydon???
I am sure there were plenty of bands that would have liked to have had Lydon at that time but I don’t know if Dammers actively tried to do any recruiting??
Marky can you shed some light on it???
In December '77 the Sex Pistols played Mr. Georges night club in Coventry and Jerry was seen hustling for a support slot for The Automatics but roadie Roadent 'Steve Connelly' and friend of the band Steve English give Jerry the bum's rush.
At this point Terry had just replaced Tim Strickland as vocalist for The Automatics and was hoping the Pistols support slot would be his debut.
In Feb/March '78 The Automatics play a short residency at Mr. Georges night club as support to Ultavox!/Generation X/XTC.
In March '78 The Automatics get new manager Chris Gilbey who had previously managed The Saints and he asks John 'Rotten' Lydon to front the band and replace Terry. Lydon/Rotten turns him down.
Thanks that makes more sense now.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Has anyone seen or heard The Sex Pistols Experience?
They get a good write up plus quotes ‘allegedly’ from Steve Jones.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Not bad

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

If a Pistols tribute band has a Sid character, I expect him to be incompetent and self-destructive. Don't be selling me no bag of magic beans where this Sid knows what the hell he's doing.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

That's the Rotten who sang with Wobble and Levene, isn't it?
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 8:37am
That's the Rotten who sang with Wobble and Levene, isn't it?
Yes Nathan.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 6:57am
We played with them about 2 months ago at a festival, they were really good. Even their attitude was authentic, telling the crowd to fuck off and being massively belligerent. The funny thing was "Johnny Rotten" was staying in the same B & B as us and was really polite to the staff at breakfast next morning, was funny seeing the contrast.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 12:49pm
101Walterton wrote:
We played with them about 2 months ago at a festival, they were really good. Even their attitude was authentic, telling the crowd to fuck off and being massively belligerent. The funny thing was "Johnny Rotten" was staying in the same B & B as us and was really polite to the staff at breakfast next morning, was funny seeing the contrast.
Ha great stuff!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Haha might go and see them then. Was he still dressed as Johnny Rotten or Nathan?

Heston

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 5:44pm
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Haha might go and see them then. Was he still dressed as Johnny Rotten or Nathan?
Definitely Nathan, and he had a blonde Spinal Tap wife with him telling him what he should be doing that day.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 6:13pm
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Definitely Nathan, and he had a blonde Spinal Tap wife with him telling him what he should be doing that day.
So, sort of his own Nancy?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 6:21pm
Heston wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 6:13pm
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
So, sort of his own Nancy?
Yep.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Interesting that the Pistols were filmed performing two more songs on So It Goes that weren't broadcast. What a shame if these historical performances (the Pistols tv debut) were thrown in the studio bin.

From Dave Goodman's diary...

https://archive.is/20070928013852/http: ... t_1976.htm

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 6:20pm
Interesting that the Pistols were filmed performing two more songs on So It Goes that weren't broadcast. What a shame if these historical performances (the Pistols tv debut) were thrown in the studio bin.

From Dave Goodman's diary...

https://archive.is/20070928013852/http: ... t_1976.htm
Can't believe they wouldn't have surfaced by now if they still existed (unless the archiving process was super shit and who knows what tape they're on).