The Specials

General music discussion.
Post Reply
101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 17478
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

The Specials

Post by 101Walterton » 30 Oct 2018, 5:42pm

First review of the new album Encore is promising:

By Pete Chambers

Encore by The Specials

So finally after all the talk, conjecture and rumour, we have a new Specials album to be released next year to celebrate 40 Years of the iconic 2-Tone label.

I was one of the first to hear it, so it feels good to finally be able to talk about it.

Of course, there are those that will not be joining the party, some because Specials founder Jerry Dammers is not involved, some because the band has effectively become a trio (Hall, Golding and Panter). That’s a shame because any new offering should be judged on the music it presents.

Here in my opinion, Coventry’s finest are walking a tightrope that sees them balancing new sounds with the sounds of old, hopefully with no major falls. Did they pull it off? Well lets dive in track by track.

The album opens with a funky tip of the hat to The Equals, Britain’s first multicultural band and a cover of their hit ‘Black Skinned Blue-Eyed Boys’, an anthem to mixed race, very much the theme of this album, no surprise that The Specials are still fighting the fight.

Further in that vein is ‘B.L.M. (Black Lives Matter)’ – Lynval Golding telling his story of arriving in England and the racial abuse he suffered, something that continues in the land of the free where he now lives, “Is that all you see, the colour of my skin, welcome to my world.”

‘Vote for Me’. originally the working title of the album, gets much more into the Ska groove, effectively the bridge from Ghost Town to this new album. I can see this becoming a live favourite. Terry’s vocals sound so strong throughout, and the total second-to-none musicianship from all as you would expect after all these years.

‘The Lunatics Have Taken Over The Asylum’.. If the Specials had continued this was a strong contender to be the next single.

Terry and Lynval recorded it as The Fun Boy Three with Neville Staple (who also does a great version of this). So it’s good that they chose to cover their own song.

The arrangements on this album have been intricately crafted and this track is no exception, Nikolaj Torp Larsen’s keyboard playing reminding me so much of the great Mike Garson Bowie’s one time keyboard player. By the way, Nikolaj Torp Larsen also co-wrote and co-produced this album alongside Hall, Golding and Panter.

More politics as we move to the dangers of the internet with ‘Breaking Point’, with Terry being Terry making a joyous swipe at it all. Then just as you think that this band may have forgotten their Trojan roots, we have ‘Blam Blam Fever’, a clever cover of The Valentines’ ‘Gun Fever’.

So next up, The Specials are legs akimbo musically speaking, one foot in the past, and one very much in the round about now. ‘The Ten Commandments’ is an answer to Prince Buster’s misogynist ‘Ten Commandments of Man’ with the voice from the lady who famously stood up to the EDL, Saffiyah Khan.

Defiant and in your face (of course), it’s so important that this is on here. Yes, The Specials are still relevant.

‘Embarrassed By You’ points an angry finger at the hooded youth (does that make the Specials angry old men?), with the vocals superbly shared by Lynval and Terry, another track guaranteed to be a skanking favourite.

‘The Life And Times (Of A Man Called Depression)’ is a Terry Hall part confessional part swipe at those who would ask a person with depression to ‘Cheer Up’. Yes, its finally good to hear him address this, he refuses to be defined as a human being by the chains of depression, and those who love to say, ‘he doesn’t smile much’, well, this one is for you.

The song is an album highlight and has classic written all over it. ‘We Sell Hope’ is just a great track that finishes this set off perfectly. Like Pandora’s box, in the final shot we are left with hope. Once again Terry Hall shines through, and that is it, this new journey ends.

This album has lot to live up to, it was a long time coming and expectancy is high.

Did they get it right? I believe they did. Each track has its own personality, its own reason to be on here. They are still fighting the fight, still making us dance and still asking questions.

There will be some that won’t buy into this (already some hate it, but have yet to even hear it). But thousands will love it, and to them it’s the dawning of a new era, but like the Specials of old, that was so last century.

Tour dates were announced on Tuesday with tickets going on general sale on Friday November 2.

(The album is on Island Records via Universal Music, released 1/2/19 also on available on download. The CD version comes with a bonus Best of The Specials Live CD).


https://coventryobserver.co.uk/news/mus ... of-2-tone/

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 28865
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: The Specials

Post by Heston » 30 Oct 2018, 7:02pm

This sounds promising, I'm really glad they're making music.
I just polished off some Low Country shrimp & grits and a mess of collards. That's a hell of a strain on the arm.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 17478
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Specials

Post by 101Walterton » 31 Oct 2018, 3:08am

Heston wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 7:02pm
This sounds promising, I'm really glad they're making music.
Agreed. Doesn’t matter what they are called I’m just looking forward to the songs. I’m a big fan of the stuff Lynval wrote for The Specials.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 40171
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Specials

Post by Marky Dread » 15 Nov 2018, 10:13am

Yep can't wait to hear it.
Image

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 17478
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Specials

Post by 101Walterton » 03 Dec 2018, 9:14pm

Have you heard Vote For Me?
Came up on my Instagram, very good, well impressed.
Can’t wait to hear this album now.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 40171
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Specials

Post by Marky Dread » 03 Dec 2018, 10:30pm

101Walterton wrote:
03 Dec 2018, 9:14pm
Have you heard Vote For Me?
Came up on my Instagram, very good, well impressed.
Can’t wait to hear this album now.
Yep I dig it. I grabbed it from Spotify.

"there are no rocks at rockaway beach and all that glitters isn't gold"
Image

tepista
User avatar
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf
Posts: 33244
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:25am
Location: Livin on a fault line, Waiting on the big one

Re: The Specials

Post by tepista » 04 Dec 2018, 1:40am

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 17478
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Specials

Post by 101Walterton » 04 Dec 2018, 4:54am

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Dec 2018, 10:30pm
101Walterton wrote:
03 Dec 2018, 9:14pm
Have you heard Vote For Me?
Came up on my Instagram, very good, well impressed.
Can’t wait to hear this album now.
Yep I dig it. I grabbed it from Spotify.

"there are no rocks at rockaway beach and all that glitters isn't gold"
Marky have you ordered it yet, where did you get it from as I need to do it?

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 79678
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Specials

Post by Dr. Medulla » 04 Dec 2018, 9:59am

I'm an expert in gold mining lore!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 40171
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Specials

Post by Marky Dread » 04 Dec 2018, 10:11am

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 9:59am
Written with 101 in mind: https://thehardtimes.net/music/ska-wait ... -specials/
Oi doofus look a couple of posts up to teps post. ;)
Image

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 40171
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Specials

Post by Marky Dread » 04 Dec 2018, 10:14am

101Walterton wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 4:54am
Marky Dread wrote:
03 Dec 2018, 10:30pm
101Walterton wrote:
03 Dec 2018, 9:14pm
Have you heard Vote For Me?
Came up on my Instagram, very good, well impressed.
Can’t wait to hear this album now.
Yep I dig it. I grabbed it from Spotify.

"there are no rocks at rockaway beach and all that glitters isn't gold"
Marky have you ordered it yet, where did you get it from as I need to do it?
Not seen a physical copy yet. There is a download at Amazon UK for 99p. Me I just grabbed it from Spotify with some software for now.
Image

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 79678
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Specials

Post by Dr. Medulla » 04 Dec 2018, 10:17am

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 10:11am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 9:59am
Written with 101 in mind: https://thehardtimes.net/music/ska-wait ... -specials/
Oi doofus look a couple of posts up to teps post. ;)
Ha! In this case, no, I don't read this thread. :lol:
I'm an expert in gold mining lore!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 40171
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Specials

Post by Marky Dread » 04 Dec 2018, 10:21am

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 10:17am
Marky Dread wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 10:11am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 9:59am
Written with 101 in mind: https://thehardtimes.net/music/ska-wait ... -specials/
Oi doofus look a couple of posts up to teps post. ;)
Ha! In this case, no, I don't read this thread. :lol:
No harm done mate. I mean it's not if it's anything important like the KISS thread. :mrgreen:
Image

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 79678
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Specials

Post by Dr. Medulla » 04 Dec 2018, 10:32am

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 10:21am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 10:17am
Marky Dread wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 10:11am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 9:59am
Written with 101 in mind: https://thehardtimes.net/music/ska-wait ... -specials/
Oi doofus look a couple of posts up to teps post. ;)
Ha! In this case, no, I don't read this thread. :lol:
No harm done mate. I mean it's not if it's anything important like the KISS thread. :mrgreen:
Less oozing, anyway.
I'm an expert in gold mining lore!

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 17478
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Specials

Post by 101Walterton » 04 Dec 2018, 1:58pm

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 10:14am
101Walterton wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 4:54am
Marky Dread wrote:
03 Dec 2018, 10:30pm
101Walterton wrote:
03 Dec 2018, 9:14pm
Have you heard Vote For Me?
Came up on my Instagram, very good, well impressed.
Can’t wait to hear this album now.
Yep I dig it. I grabbed it from Spotify.

"there are no rocks at rockaway beach and all that glitters isn't gold"
Marky have you ordered it yet, where did you get it from as I need to do it?
Not seen a physical copy yet. There is a download at Amazon UK for 99p. Me I just grabbed it from Spotify with some software for now.
I meant the album pre order? I was waiting to see what options there were like delux versions etc.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests