The Specials

General music discussion.
101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21973
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Specials

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 7:19pm
101Walterton wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 6:50pm
Heston wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 6:34pm
101Walterton wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 6:26pm
Marky Dread wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 6:21pm


Haven't got the new Beat album yet. Have you heard it, I really liked Bounce.
No I haven't that's why I asked Laxman, might try and get a copy this weekend (buy not stream).
I checked a couple of songs out on YouTube, wasn't impressed enough to delve further.

As for the new Specials album, I've been playing it for a couple of weeks, and whilst it's good, it's a bit one-paced. I know they're getting on a bit but a couple of stompers would have been welcome. I will say the album is fantastic lyrically.
Agreed re the lyrics. Shame Jerry isn't involved I am sure he would be a real fan of the lyrical content as that was his inspiration for the band from day one.
In truth I think they miss Roddy more as he was always the rock 'n' roll elment of the band. Still a solid album regardless.
Definitely, Concrete Jungle, Hey Little Rich Girl, Rat Race, Braggin and Trying Not To Lie....

laxman
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 2673
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 6:05pm

Re: The Specials

Post by laxman »

101Walterton wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 6:26pm
Marky Dread wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 6:21pm
101Walterton wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 6:14pm
Marky Dread wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 6:01pm
101Walterton wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 4:30pm


Yes I’m loving it. Far exceeding expectation.
Have you listened to the new Best album? Great reviews.
George Best has an album out?
d'oh wha'ppen
Haven't got the new Beat album yet. Have you heard it, I really liked Bounce.
No I haven't that's why I asked Laxman, might try and get a copy this weekend (buy not stream).
I haven’t sorry. Not really heard anything of them for ages, just know there seems to be two versions of the band these days with some vague talk that they might get back together at some point.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21973
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Specials

Post by 101Walterton »

laxman wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 8:38pm
101Walterton wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 6:26pm
Marky Dread wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 6:21pm
101Walterton wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 6:14pm
Marky Dread wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 6:01pm


George Best has an album out?
d'oh wha'ppen
Haven't got the new Beat album yet. Have you heard it, I really liked Bounce.
No I haven't that's why I asked Laxman, might try and get a copy this weekend (buy not stream).
I haven’t sorry. Not really heard anything of them for ages, just know there seems to be two versions of the band these days with some vague talk that they might get back together at some point.
This is the Rankin Roger version as opposed to Dave Wakelin's English Beat.
New album Public Confidential out in January, good apparently.
Hope they do get back to together because that will mean Roger's health is improving.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21973
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Specials

Post by 101Walterton »

Just missed out in an auction for a copy of The Specials Ghost Town Revisited which would have completed the set 😞
That was the first one I had seen for sale in about a year.

JohnS
User avatar
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 762
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 6:18pm

Re: The Specials

Post by JohnS »

101Walterton wrote:
23 Feb 2019, 10:30pm
Just missed out in an auction for a copy of The Specials Ghost Town Revisited which would have completed the set 😞
That was the first one I had seen for sale in about a year.
Good hunting, 101w, it’s only a matter of time.
By the way are you disregarding the 7” picture discs of Racist Friend, and What I Like Most About You... ?!
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21973
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Specials

Post by 101Walterton »

JohnS wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 7:57pm
101Walterton wrote:
23 Feb 2019, 10:30pm
Just missed out in an auction for a copy of The Specials Ghost Town Revisited which would have completed the set 😞
That was the first one I had seen for sale in about a year.
Good hunting, 101w, it’s only a matter of time.
By the way are you disregarding the 7” picture discs of Racist Friend, and What I Like Most About You... ?!
Yep, could have just made ridiculous high bid but that takes all the fun out of hunting plus people have done that which is why the prices are currently sky high!!
Yes I will there’s a few about but they have same TT catalogue numbers. I don’t have every version of all yet (working on it) but want to get at least one of each.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21973
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Specials

Post by 101Walterton »

My 2 Tone collection is now complete :approve:
There are a couple of things I’d like to add if they come including:
TTP1 promotional release
Silver label Gangsters
Blue label The Prince

But basically I have the 2 Tone set of domestic releases on 7” and very proud of it I am :mrgreen:
Attachments
302B703C-E201-4C97-A1F2-21CCBCA3477C.jpeg

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 47225
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Specials

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 10:49pm
My 2 Tone collection is now complete :approve:
There are a couple of things I’d like to add if they come including:
TTP1 promotional release
Silver label Gangsters
Blue label The Prince

But basically I have the 2 Tone set of domestic releases on 7” and very proud of it I am :mrgreen:
Nice!
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21973
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Specials

Post by 101Walterton »

Further to my RSD post The Specials are releasing a 10” single of 3 previously unreleased dub recordings!!!
I understand one is Stereotypes (which would make sense) and suspect another is Too Much Too Young.
Jerry played it recently when DJ’ing at a Madness gig and claimed to have just found the dub plate.
No idea on the 3rd one, Sock It To Em JB and Rat Race dub versions have already been released.

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 29431
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!

Re: The Specials

Post by Flex »

101Walterton wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 5:37pm
Further to my RSD post The Specials are releasing a 10” single of 3 previously unreleased dub recordings!!!
I understand one is Stereotypes (which would make sense) and suspect another is Too Much Too Young.
Jerry played it recently when DJ’ing at a Madness gig and claimed to have just found the dub plate.
No idea on the 3rd one, Sock It To Em JB and Rat Race dub versions have already been released.
So these are vintage, not new, dubs? I'm all of a sudden much more interested.
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21973
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Specials

Post by 101Walterton »

Flex wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 5:38pm
101Walterton wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 5:37pm
Further to my RSD post The Specials are releasing a 10” single of 3 previously unreleased dub recordings!!!
I understand one is Stereotypes (which would make sense) and suspect another is Too Much Too Young.
Jerry played it recently when DJ’ing at a Madness gig and claimed to have just found the dub plate.
No idea on the 3rd one, Sock It To Em JB and Rat Race dub versions have already been released.
So these are vintage, not new, dubs? I'm all of a sudden much more interested.
Definitely the Too Much Too Young dub is vintage and suspect the others will be too.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 34147
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: The Specials

Post by Heston »

DOES STEPPER KNOW ABOUT DA DUBPLATES??
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 47225
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Specials

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 5:42pm
Flex wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 5:38pm
101Walterton wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 5:37pm
Further to my RSD post The Specials are releasing a 10” single of 3 previously unreleased dub recordings!!!
I understand one is Stereotypes (which would make sense) and suspect another is Too Much Too Young.
Jerry played it recently when DJ’ing at a Madness gig and claimed to have just found the dub plate.
No idea on the 3rd one, Sock It To Em JB and Rat Race dub versions have already been released.
So these are vintage, not new, dubs? I'm all of a sudden much more interested.
Definitely the Too Much Too Young dub is vintage and suspect the others will be too.
Yep just called "Dubs". I'm looking forward to this.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21973
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Specials

Post by 101Walterton »

Apparently it is Gangsters and TMTY and one other?
My presence would be for a 3rd of s/t.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 47225
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Specials

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 2:16pm
Apparently it is Gangsters and TMTY and one other?
My presence would be for a 3rd of s/t.
...and what about your preference? ;)
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Post Reply