C1ashCityRockr wrote:
26 Nov 2018, 1:50am
Low Down Low wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 6:57pm
C1ashCityRockr wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 12:25pm
Low Down Low wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 7:35pm
No haven’t heard it yet but looking forward to it. To be honest while I truly love VM I’ve never fully gotten into Astral Weeks for some reason but this still tweaks my interest. Love TB Sheets of the early material so can’t wait to hear that.
Yeah, that's really surprising. TB Sheets is here again, in AW-style. Maybe that'll bridge the sounds for you.

I loved how, revealed in the new boxset, Joe Strummer used the "slipstream" line from the title track in his own "TIE/Czechoslovak Song."
Ah I will get there. It’s not that I don’t appreciate the greatness of Astral Weeks and really like some of the tracks, it’s just - vile heresy warning! - I tend to prefer later VM, as in circa 82-83 onwards. Though I also really like the early live stuff with the Caledonian soul orchestra, an incomparable backing band imo.

And yeah, that’s a neat touch from Joe. I know he spun a couple of Van tracks on the bbc show too so he was obviously a big fan after the Them period and why to goodness wouldn’t he have been?
If I remember correctly, Joe even named his daughter (Domino) after the VM song!

Any recommendations for the 82-83 period?
I think all the 80s albums from Beautiful Vision on are solid. It wasn’t until the chieftains album and Avalon Sunset that I started to appreciate the genius of the man. Probably wouldn’t say there his best albums now, but I remain fond of them.

Overall I listen to more live than studio. Live at the Belfast Opera is great for the fantastic Rave on John Donne alone. As is Montreaux 1980 for Spirit.

The Philosopher Stone albums are all good too, 4 or 5 of them I think. And of course there’s the brilliant Too Late To Stop Now from a bit earlier. There’s a treasure trove of stuff on you tube really, I’ve probably only listened to a small fraction of it.
Thanks for such a thoughtful response! I'll dive into these. My interest has always petered out after the mid-70s.

C1ashCityRockr
Dirty Punk

Re: Van Morrison live in Boston 1968

Post by C1ashCityRockr »

WestwayKid wrote:
26 Nov 2018, 12:54pm
Making my way through my first listen and I'm really loving it. Great historical snapshot of an artist in transition. You can hear the AW sound coming together and I like the "rawness" of this live set versus the studio versions that sound a little more slick.
Exactly. I like the rawness too, but wish they would do a proper release, a la Dylan's bootleg series, with just a bit of restoration...

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Thanks all (3 of you set me up in short order). I’ll give a listen tonight.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

C1ashCityRockr wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 11:21pm
Low Down Low wrote:
26 Nov 2018, 6:48pm
C1ashCityRockr wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
C1ashCityRockr wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 12:25pm

Yeah, that's really surprising. TB Sheets is here again, in AW-style. Maybe that'll bridge the sounds for you.

I loved how, revealed in the new boxset, Joe Strummer used the "slipstream" line from the title track in his own "TIE/Czechoslovak Song."
Ah I will get there. It’s not that I don’t appreciate the greatness of Astral Weeks and really like some of the tracks, it’s just - vile heresy warning! - I tend to prefer later VM, as in circa 82-83 onwards. Though I also really like the early live stuff with the Caledonian soul orchestra, an incomparable backing band imo.

And yeah, that’s a neat touch from Joe. I know he spun a couple of Van tracks on the bbc show too so he was obviously a big fan after the Them period and why to goodness wouldn’t he have been?
If I remember correctly, Joe even named his daughter (Domino) after the VM song!

I think all the 80s albums from Beautiful Vision on are solid. It wasn’t until the chieftains album and Avalon Sunset that I started to appreciate the genius of the man. Probably wouldn’t say there his best albums now, but I remain fond of them.

Overall I listen to more live than studio. Live at the Belfast Opera is great for the fantastic Rave on John Donne alone. As is Montreaux 1980 for Spirit.

The Philosopher Stone albums are all good too, 4 or 5 of them I think. And of course there’s the brilliant Too Late To Stop Now from a bit earlier. There’s a treasure trove of stuff on you tube really, I’ve probably only listened to a small fraction of it.
Thanks for such a thoughtful response! I'll dive into these. My interest has always petered out after the mid-70s.
I’d say you are far from alone in that. The 80s stuff onwards, from Common One on, is a bit more slickly produced, a lot more orchestral arrangements which damps down the more raw r&b sound of the early stuff. One of my best friends is a VM fanatic but claims he hasn’t made a proper album since veedon fleece. Go figure! I think Common One is actually a brilliant album, though it’s really only live that those songs come alive for me.

C1ashCityRockr
Dirty Punk

Post by C1ashCityRockr »

Low Down Low wrote:
29 Nov 2018, 10:06am
C1ashCityRockr wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 11:21pm
Low Down Low wrote:
26 Nov 2018, 6:48pm
C1ashCityRockr wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

I’d say you are far from alone in that. The 80s stuff onwards, from Common One on, is a bit more slickly produced, a lot more orchestral arrangements which damps down the more raw r&b sound of the early stuff. One of my best friends is a VM fanatic but claims he hasn’t made a proper album since veedon fleece. Go figure! I think Common One is actually a brilliant album, though it’s really only live that those songs come alive for me.
Yeah... 80s production, especially it seems for that 60s generation, really masked an inordinate amount of talent and great songs. Thankfully that's stripped away live. I saw VM recently and he's definitely still got it, even though he's playing to the retiree crowd.

Side note: I nearly plowed into him on the street before the show. Mistook his security as a homeless guy and kept my head down until he had to physically stop me from running into VM. Just kinda stood there afterwards staring at each other as he walked into the venue.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Since this is the Van Morrison thread now, here's a nice writeup of Astral Weeks on its 50th anniversary: https://www.theringer.com/pop-culture/2 ... ary-review
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
30 Nov 2018, 4:39pm
Since this is the Van Morrison thread now, here's a nice writeup of Astral Weeks on its 50th anniversary: https://www.theringer.com/pop-culture/2 ... ary-review
"50 year old music sucks!" - Heston

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Any chance of a copy/link Marky

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

I mentioned this to a buddy who's a big Van Mo fan — could someone sort out a dl to the '68 recording I could pass along?

Thanks!

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Got it sorted out!

Thank you, friends.

C1ashCityRockr
Dirty Punk

Post by C1ashCityRockr »

Happy new year! Here's a nice little write-up about these tapes: https://pleasekillme.com/astral-weeks-van-morrison/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

C1ashCityRockr wrote:
03 Jan 2019, 3:36pm
Happy new year! Here's a nice little write-up about these tapes: https://pleasekillme.com/astral-weeks-van-morrison/
Cheers that's an interesting read.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia