Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Bad Christmas Music That's Bad

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 10:46am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Dec 2018, 4:15pm
I was just at the dentist. That fucking "Do They Know It's Christmas?" came on the sound system. Confirming that dentists are sadists.
Once again, and I say this every year, Ethiopia has one of the world's oldest Christian communities. SO YES THEY FUCKING KNOW IT'S CHRISTMAS, SIR BOB.
You can't employ the White Man's Burden without ignorance of the people you're choosing to elevate. Bob was just doing his KIpling thing properly.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 11:47am
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I was just at the dentist. That fucking "Do They Know It's Christmas?" came on the sound system. Confirming that dentists are sadists.
Once again, and I say this every year, Ethiopia has one of the world's oldest Christian communities. SO YES THEY FUCKING KNOW IT'S CHRISTMAS, SIR BOB.
You can't employ the White Man's Burden without ignorance of the people you're choosing to elevate. Bob was just doing his KIpling thing properly.
Touche.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Bad Christmas thread that's bad.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

You know, I had never really listened to Wonderful Christmastime until this weekend. God, what's up with that synth? It's proto-CTC.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 11:06am
You know, I had never really listened to Wonderful Christmastime until this weekend. God, what's up with that synth? It's proto-CTC.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 11:36am
matedog wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 11:06am
Sorry, Inder.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
01 Dec 2018, 5:47pm
Rat Patrol wrote:
01 Dec 2018, 5:30pm
Imperialst tripe:

Prepare to face the wrath of Heston.
Ok, I'm late here but I'd say Do They Know It's Christmas is a pretty decent effort bar the brainless outro chant. and 101 hit the nail on the head when he mentioned We Are the World, which was piffle in comparison.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

Also, Mariah Carey and Wham were decent efforts, it's the mark of something good when they're still being played 25 or more years later. You can't really say that about Bob Dylan's Christmas song.

Here are my top 6 Christmas songs...

Merry Christmas Everybody - Slade
I Believe In Father Christmas - Greg Lake
Stop the Cavalry - Jona Lewie
I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day - Wizzard
Fairytale of New York - The Pogues
Happy Xmas (War Is Over) - John Lennon
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'm not so sure it is meant to be taken so literally. I think it's saying compared to the way we in the West celebrate Christmas with all the over the top excess. I'm sure Geldof and Ure knew they know it's Christmas. Anyway the only thing I like about that song is the sound of the drums. It's far from a great Christmas song.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Marky Dread wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 4:31pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'm not so sure it is meant to be taken so literally. I think it's saying compared to the way we in the West celebrate Christmas with all the over the top excess. I'm sure Geldof and Ure knew they know it's Christmas. Anyway the only thing I like about that song is the sound of the drums. It's far from a great Christmas song.
I refuse to believe this! Ure, maybe. But not Sir Twit.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JennyB wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 4:34pm
Marky Dread wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I refuse to believe this! Ure, maybe. But not Sir Twit.
Well I don't care now anyway as I just burst out laughing at this post. I had to look twice as I was certain you had put Sir Twat.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

"Where nothing ever grows, no rain or rivers flow"

Well, there's mangoes and the Nile for starters....

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
<<<And we all know who played the drums...

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 4:47pm
Marky Dread wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yes Simon Le Bon.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Marky Dread wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 4:50pm
Heston wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 4:47pm
Marky Dread wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yes Simon Le Bon.
I'm only joking everyone knows that Buster Edwards played drums on that song.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia