Pete Shelley

General music discussion.
white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Pete Shelley

Post by white man »

Missing Pete like mad. Had Buzzcocks on repeat since he died.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

white man wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 4:09am

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

white man wrote:
Me too. Sad - but not surprising - how is passing came and went in the US without much of a blip.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 10:43am
white man wrote:
Me too. Sad - but not surprising - how is passing came and went in the US without much of a blip.
At least this isn't true on Facebook, I saw a lot of stuff about him. But of course, I follow people that would post something rather than the people that wouldn't.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

WestwayKid wrote:
white man wrote:
It made the main news here in the UK, and deservedly so. Ever Fallen In Love might not have been a huge hit over here but it has entered the public consciousness to the point that even lots of young people and kids would recognise it.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 10:33am
white man wrote:
I loved that clip, and have never heard of Balcony TV - Inspired ?? TV. Thanks for the link marky.
It looks even better with Inder's cyber-snowflakes falling across it - 'where were their coats?' :mrgreen:
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 4:17pm
WestwayKid wrote:
white man wrote:
It made the main news here in the UK, and deservedly so. Ever Fallen In Love might not have been a huge hit over here but it has entered the public consciousness to the point that even lots of young people and kids would recognise it.
Number 12 in 1978 is not bad at all considering how many singles you needed to sell back then. Ironically the Fine Young Cannibals version got to number 9. It's an all time classic song that gets better with each new play.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 8:00pm
Heston wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
white man wrote:
Number 12 in 1978 is not bad at all considering how many singles you needed to sell back then. Ironically the Fine Young Cannibals version got to number 9. It's an all time classic song that gets better with each new play.
Yeah, I looked again after I posted that, had always assumed it got to number 22 or something. You are totally correct that it must have shifted a few copies to get to number 12 in 1978. And yeah, just a timeless classic.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 8:16pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
white man wrote:
Yeah, I looked again after I posted that, had always assumed it got to number 22 or something. You are totally correct that it must have shifted a few copies to get to number 12 in 1978. And yeah, just a timeless classic.
Wasn’t it in Shrek?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 8:34pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Wasn’t it in Shrek?
Yep I think so and it's been used in a tv advert although I can't remember which one. Halfords possibly?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Dec 2018, 5:04am
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

Wasn’t it in Shrek?
Yep I think so and it's been used in a tv advert although I can't remember which one. Halfords possibly?
I know over here Toyota used “What Do I Get?” They cut out any lyrics that made the song bitterly ironic and made it about a happy couple having a great time.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Wolter wrote:
12 Dec 2018, 8:47am
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Wasn’t it in Shrek?
I know over here Toyota used “What Do I Get?” They cut out any lyrics that made the song bitterly ironic and made it about a happy couple having a great time.
The AARP used Everybody's Happy Nowadays a few years back. I remember the Toyota ad, too. We should have a thread that discusses songs used in commercials that seem like odd choices. I always chuckled when I heard Lust for Life used to plug a cruise line. They didn't, of course, mention anything about liquor, drugs or flesh machines! I've always hated Wrangler's heavily edited version of CCR's Fortunate Son because they turn it into some flag waving anthem when it's not. I also seem to recall some company using the awful Sixpence None the Richer cover of The She Goes in a commercial.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
12 Dec 2018, 11:22am
Wolter wrote:
12 Dec 2018, 8:47am
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:

Wasn’t it in Shrek?
The AARP used Everybody's Happy Nowadays a few years back. I remember the Toyota ad, too. We should have a thread that discusses songs used in commercials that seem like odd choices. I always chuckled when I heard Lust for Life used to plug a cruise line. They didn't, of course, mention anything about liquor, drugs or flesh machines! I've always hated Wrangler's heavily edited version of CCR's Fortunate Son because they turn it into some flag waving anthem when it's not. I also seem to recall some company using the awful Sixpence None the Richer cover of The She Goes in a commercial.
We did start a songs in commercials thread somewhere

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
white man wrote:
As good as they are/were they didn't really make a big impact here in the US. People like all of us here are very much in the minority. I'm pretty sure I could ask every person I meet/work with etc tomorrow and nobody would know a thing about the Buzzcocks. I somehow got into a discussion about them with a woman in a bar in Texas and we were both amazed that the other was a Buzzcocks fan.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

revbob wrote:
12 Dec 2018, 11:19pm
WestwayKid wrote:
white man wrote:
As good as they are/were they didn't really make a big impact here in the US. People like all of us here are very much in the minority. I'm pretty sure I could ask every person I meet/work with etc tomorrow and nobody would know a thing about the Buzzcocks. I somehow got into a discussion about them with a woman in a bar in Texas and we were both amazed that the other was a Buzzcocks fan.
Yeah. I’m always amazed at what charted in the UK in the late 70s/early 80s that literally no one but me and maybe a handful of other people listened to in college in the 90s.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"