General music discussion.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Pete Shelley

Post by Flex »

Wolter wrote:
14 Dec 2018, 2:15pm
We know your opinion.
A band that just gets better with every release!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
14 Dec 2018, 11:52am
Wolter wrote:
13 Dec 2018, 10:21pm
I think most people think of Smashmouth when you say “Song From Shrek.”
Walking on the Sun is better.
I like Walking in the Sun, everything else I've heard by them is awful.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Wolter wrote:
14 Dec 2018, 1:14pm
Silent Majority wrote:
14 Dec 2018, 11:52am
Wolter wrote:
Walking on the Sun is better.
This is...technically correct. The best kind of correct.

(Walking on the Sun is the only Smashmouth song I don’t despise. I don’t particularly like it, but I don’t despise it)
To be fair I said if you “sang” them the song from Shrek they would know it. My point being people who don’t know who the Buzzcocks are wont know the name of the song but if you sang the song they would recognise it as the ‘song from Shrek’!!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

There's too much Shrek talk on this board.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
There are two songs from Shrek:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
14 Dec 2018, 4:07pm
Wolter wrote:
There are two songs from Shrek:
Think you've just proven there is only one.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
14 Dec 2018, 4:07pm
There's too much Shrek talk on this board.
Bernard Rhodes, Revolutionary, Visionary, Font Master wrote:Why is nothing happening Shrekwise?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Wolter wrote:
13 Dec 2018, 12:35am
revbob wrote:
12 Dec 2018, 11:19pm
WestwayKid wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 10:43am
white man wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 4:09am
Missing Pete like mad. Had Buzzcocks on repeat since he died.
Me too. Sad - but not surprising - how is passing came and went in the US without much of a blip.
As good as they are/were they didn't really make a big impact here in the US. People like all of us here are very much in the minority. I'm pretty sure I could ask every person I meet/work with etc tomorrow and nobody would know a thing about the Buzzcocks. I somehow got into a discussion about them with a woman in a bar in Texas and we were both amazed that the other was a Buzzcocks fan.
Yeah. I’m always amazed at what charted in the UK in the late 70s/early 80s that literally no one but me and maybe a handful of other people listened to in college in the 90s.
To be fair, I can't think of anybody in their right mind in the UK at that time who liked Starship or Kiss.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

dave202 wrote:
15 Dec 2018, 1:47pm
Wolter wrote:
revbob wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
white man wrote:
Me too. Sad - but not surprising - how is passing came and went in the US without much of a blip.
As good as they are/were they didn't really make a big impact here in the US. People like all of us here are very much in the minority. I'm pretty sure I could ask every person I meet/work with etc tomorrow and nobody would know a thing about the Buzzcocks. I somehow got into a discussion about them with a woman in a bar in Texas and we were both amazed that the other was a Buzzcocks fan.
Yeah. I’m always amazed at what charted in the UK in the late 70s/early 80s that literally no one but me and maybe a handful of other people listened to in college in the 90s.
To be fair, I can't think of anybody in their right mind in the UK at that time who liked Starship or Kiss.
That phrase couldn't get more operative.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Dec 2018, 2:19pm
dave202 wrote:
Wolter wrote:
revbob wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

That phrase couldn't get more operative.
Crying laughing.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

dave202 wrote:
Wolter wrote:
revbob wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
white man wrote:
Sorry to be pedantic but Starship never formed til 1984. And also, KISS were one of the first punk bands.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
15 Dec 2018, 10:52pm
And also, KISS were one of the first punk bands.
Kids, eating condom pastrami causes brain rot.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
15 Dec 2018, 10:52pm
dave202 wrote:
Wolter wrote:
revbob wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Sorry to be pedantic but Starship were never formed they were given away free with breakfast cereal in 1984. And also, KISS were one of the first bands to copy Slade.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Nirvana were metal but KISS aren’t is a hell of a take.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
16 Dec 2018, 12:17pm
Nirvana were metal but KISS aren’t is a hell of a take.
In a brain where Starship is subversive, the laws of the normal universe are clearly suspended.