Synopsis' of fave bands/artists

General music discussion.
muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Synopsis' of fave bands/artists

Post by muppet hi fi »

I've been on a minor John Cale kick recently, and it occurred to me that I'd have no idea how to describe his overall "vibe" to someone: musical, image-wise, historical significance, cultural impact, etc. This being as a 54 year old, but I'd have the same dilemma as a 16 year old talking to my peers (and no - "he rocks!" just doesn't cut it).

So, how would you lot describe a fave or select band/artist in roughly a paragraph or two? What they mean to you and might/ought to mean to the culture at large? Maybe consider and write it as though you were writing to spec for an album's liner notes, a major story for Uncut or Mojo, etc., or even the New York Times. Not interested in ironic piss-takes here, and am genuinely interested in how, say, Doc might present Swans or Heston Kiss (just by way of example, lads. Not meaning to pick on either of you fine chaps in the least here. I'd be a pretty easy target meself :shifty: ...).

So if music, and individual bands and artists, are important to you, mightn't you be able to say why? (hoping this can be fun and illuminating for all. Hey, let's all play "Serious" music journo for a day!).
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Re: Synopsis' of fave bands/artists

Post by JennyB »

I am a terrible writer, but this is what I would say about Depeche Mode:

First of all, Dave Gahan is one of music's greatest front men. He has such a beautiful voice and he makes me forget that he is not the primary songwriter in the band. On the few songs that Martin sings, even ones that I count as among my favorite DM songs (Home, The Things You Said), I find myself missing Dave's voice. Plus, in his day, he was *smoking* hot. He's not conventionally attractive, but he's sexy as hell and remains so even though he know closely resembles the crypt keeper.

Martin Gore is a tremendous songwriter. When you think of the direction the band has gone since Vince Clark left, it's pretty damn jarring. I kind of shudder to think how they would have sounded had Vince stayed - well, they would have sounded like Erasure. Which is fine. But not great.

A major factor in their greatness is Anton Corbijn's videos. His visuals are stunning.

They are still touring and they still sound incredible live. They have influenced countless bands in countless genres. Even metal.Their music is unsettling. I like unsettling.

What else...they got me through a lot of adolescent angst. They are up there with the Clash for me.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

The Clash - They rock and then they roll.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I love how I get lumped in with KISS even though there are loads more credible bands I like! :mrgreen:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
03 Jan 2019, 5:51pm
I love how I get lumped in with KISS even though there are loads more credible bands I like! :mrgreen:
Curiously, I can't think of a one.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

The Scorps.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Olaf wrote:
03 Jan 2019, 6:03pm
The Scorps.
:lol:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
03 Jan 2019, 5:51pm
I love how I get lumped with KISS even though there are loads more incredible bands I like! :mrgreen:
Simply moved one word.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia