The Elton John song you're thinking about right now thread

General music discussion.
Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 27122
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: The Elton John song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Flex » 24 Jan 2019, 4:06pm

Low Down Low wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 6:28pm
One of his classic tracks I’d forgotten and hadn’t heard in years. Must say the lyrics kind of leaped out at me, seems a strange topic for Taupin to be writing about and EJ to be singing. Good tune though.


youtu.be/ywJ1MD4-Cns
Yeah, good tune. My understanding is he retired the song from live setlists circa 1990 because of the extremely dodgy lyrics.
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 17524
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Elton John song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by 101Walterton » 24 Jan 2019, 4:31pm

Flex wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 4:06pm
Low Down Low wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 6:28pm
One of his classic tracks I’d forgotten and hadn’t heard in years. Must say the lyrics kind of leaped out at me, seems a strange topic for Taupin to be writing about and EJ to be singing. Good tune though.


youtu.be/ywJ1MD4-Cns
Yeah, good tune. My understanding is he retired the song from live setlists circa 1990 because of the extremely dodgy lyrics.
Shame but I can see why, you wouldn't want anyone to be influenced by them or have that on your conscience.

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 27122
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: The Elton John song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Flex » 24 Jan 2019, 4:38pm

101Walterton wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 4:31pm
Shame but I can see why, you wouldn't want anyone to be influenced by them or have that on your conscience.
No idea on EJ's exact angle to retire the song, but as for me I'd be pretty embarrassed to actually sing this chorus in front of real human beings:
Island girl
What you wanting with the white man's world?
Island girl
Black boy want you in his island world
I figure it's sort of like how Ian MacKaye eventually decided singing "Guilty of Being White" wasn't the greatest idea ever.
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 51272
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: The Elton John song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Wolter » 24 Jan 2019, 11:25pm

Flex wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 4:38pm
101Walterton wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 4:31pm
Shame but I can see why, you wouldn't want anyone to be influenced by them or have that on your conscience.
No idea on EJ's exact angle to retire the song, but as for me I'd be pretty embarrassed to actually sing this chorus in front of real human beings:
Island girl
What you wanting with the white man's world?
Island girl
Black boy want you in his island world
I figure it's sort of like how Ian MacKaye eventually decided singing "Guilty of Being White" wasn't the greatest idea ever.
Yeah. That’s a turd in the punch bowl of an otherwise untouchable discography.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

BostonBeaneater
User avatar
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel
Posts: 9059
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:24pm
Location: Between the moon and New York City

Re: The Elton John song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by BostonBeaneater » 24 Jan 2019, 11:32pm

The only Elton song I ever think of is the Princess Dianna version of Candle in the Wind. I think of it because of my very unpopular 1997 Halloween costume which involved a a sequined blue dress, a blonde wig, ketchup and shattered glass. I thought it was funny but I am also an asshole sometimes.
Image

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 40248
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Elton John song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Marky Dread » 25 Jan 2019, 6:18pm

BostonBeaneater wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 11:32pm
The only Elton song I ever think of is the Princess Dianna version of Candle in the Wind. I think of it because of my very unpopular 1997 Halloween costume which involved a a sequined blue dress, a blonde wig, ketchup and shattered glass. I thought it was funny but I am also an asshole sometimes.
Just like the awful song you win no points.
Image

BostonBeaneater
User avatar
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel
Posts: 9059
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:24pm
Location: Between the moon and New York City

Re: The Elton John song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by BostonBeaneater » 26 Jan 2019, 12:24am

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Jan 2019, 6:18pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 11:32pm
The only Elton song I ever think of is the Princess Dianna version of Candle in the Wind. I think of it because of my very unpopular 1997 Halloween costume which involved a a sequined blue dress, a blonde wig, ketchup and shattered glass. I thought it was funny but I am also an asshole sometimes.
Just like the awful song you win no points.
That's worth Points!
Image

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 40248
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Elton John song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Marky Dread » 26 Jan 2019, 3:14am

BostonBeaneater wrote:
26 Jan 2019, 12:24am
Marky Dread wrote:
25 Jan 2019, 6:18pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 11:32pm
The only Elton song I ever think of is the Princess Dianna version of Candle in the Wind. I think of it because of my very unpopular 1997 Halloween costume which involved a a sequined blue dress, a blonde wig, ketchup and shattered glass. I thought it was funny but I am also an asshole sometimes.
Just like the awful song you win no points.
That's worth Points!
Okay -1.
Image

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 27122
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: The Elton John song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Flex » 31 Jan 2019, 5:28pm

I've been enjoying this one from the 2001 effort, Songs from the West Coast:
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

tepista
User avatar
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf
Posts: 33249
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:25am
Location: Livin on a fault line, Waiting on the big one

Re: The Elton John song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by tepista » 31 Jan 2019, 5:29pm

Did I tell y'allz the time a free Elton John street concert popped up in front of my face?
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 27122
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: The Elton John song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Flex » 31 Jan 2019, 5:36pm

tepista wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 5:29pm
Did I tell y'allz the time a free Elton John street concert popped up in front of my face?
No. 3 hour street jam on Candle in the Wind '97 I assume?
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

tepista
User avatar
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf
Posts: 33249
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:25am
Location: Livin on a fault line, Waiting on the big one

Re: The Elton John song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by tepista » 31 Jan 2019, 5:38pm

Flex wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 5:36pm
tepista wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 5:29pm
Did I tell y'allz the time a free Elton John street concert popped up in front of my face?
No. 3 hour street jam on Candle in the Wind '97 I assume?
No, it was I'm Still Sitting, the remake of I'm Still Standing but for old people.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

tepista
User avatar
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf
Posts: 33249
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:25am
Location: Livin on a fault line, Waiting on the big one

Re: The Elton John song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by tepista » 31 Jan 2019, 5:42pm

btw, how the fuck does EJ agree to humiliate himself in the Snickers commercial with the rappers? If you've seen it, the message is if you suck you must be Elton John.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 27122
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: The Elton John song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Flex » 31 Jan 2019, 5:45pm

tepista wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 5:42pm
btw, how the fuck does EJ agree to humiliate himself in the Snickers commercial with the rappers? If you've seen it, the message is if you suck you must be Elton John.
Never seen it, here it is:


Missed opportunity to get EJ to rap, imho.
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 17524
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Elton John song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by 101Walterton » 31 Jan 2019, 6:21pm

tepista wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 5:29pm
Did I tell y'allz the time a free Elton John street concert popped up in front of my face?
Same. I had been chatting up a very pretty girl for a while when she asked me whether I wanted to go out with her on the Friday night as she had a spare ticket for a show. I was all over it like a rash (the idea not her) but then she told me it was for Elton John and Eric Clapton :yuck:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tepista and 8 guests