Woodstock vs Live Aid Poll

General music discussion.

Which do you prefer? I've included an "opt-out" answer.

Woodstock
74%
Live Aid
16%
My "imagined" KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park musical at the London Palladium
11%

Total votes: 19

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: Woodstock vs Live Aid Poll

Post by matedog »

Rat Patrol wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 9:54am
Woodstock '99...and only because they burned it down and forgot about it instead of making it a Boomer-ballwashing cultural touchstone. :shifty:
Those special moments where Rattie and get to the same conclusion following very different paths.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

They were both before my time - though I vaguely remember Live Aid (I would have been 8.5 years old). Neither one really does anything for me & in my opinion the retrospective assessment of both event has "made" them better than they actually were. Maybe I'm just a cynical Gen-X'er - but that's what I think.

I voted for KISS, btw. Even Gene Simmons seems like a better alternative to Woodstock & Live Aid!? :mrgreen:
Last edited by WestwayKid on 18 Jan 2019, 11:14am, edited 1 time in total.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 11:06am
Rat Patrol wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 9:54am
Woodstock '99...and only because they burned it down and forgot about it instead of making it a Boomer-ballwashing cultural touchstone. :shifty:
Those special moments where Rattie and get to the same conclusion following very different paths.
Ha - I was just about to mention this event! It sounded like a truly dreadful event, but I applaud the fact that it was exposed as a hollow corporate piece of garbage.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 10:21am
Heston wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 10:00am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 9:40am
Heston did better in his KISS/Replacements and KISS/New York Dolls polls.
Hey, I voted Woodstock.
My apologies. I assumed your 80s music/Phil Collins allegiance would guide you to Live Aid.
I have often blamed Live Aid on here for the decline of music in the 80s.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 11:43am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 10:21am
Heston wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 10:00am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 9:40am
Heston did better in his KISS/Replacements and KISS/New York Dolls polls.
Hey, I voted Woodstock.
My apologies. I assumed your 80s music/Phil Collins allegiance would guide you to Live Aid.
I have often blamed Live Aid on here for the decline of music in the 80s.
Live Aid - July 1985
WBTCOR&R - August 1985

Checks out.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Woodstock is so obviously the one with the better music.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Both festivals reflect the delusions of their era. Woodstock was hippies believing that they could just will into existence a perfect world of bliss, good dope, good tunes, and good bonking. Live Aid suggested that capitalist greed can be easily offset with charity, that we can have big houses and fast cars and clean consciences. Altamont and Woodstock '99, baby, that's where the chickens came back to roost.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 12:50pm
Both festivals reflect the delusions of their era. Woodstock was hippies believing that they could just will into existence a perfect world of bliss, good dope, good tunes, and good bonking. Live Aid suggested that capitalist greed can be easily offset with charity, that we can have big houses and fast cars and clean consciences. Altamont and Woodstock '99, baby, that's where the chickens came back to roost.
in that framing, woodstock is, at base, attractive but naive while live aid is built on some fundamentally repulsive assumptions. so still voting woodstock, i guess.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
17 Jan 2019, 11:28pm
Frank Zappa was invited to perform, but refused because he believed that the money raised by Live Aid did not address the core problems facing the developing world and instead aided the developed world by providing ways to get drugs, calling the concert "the biggest cocaine money laundering scheme of all time"
Meanwhile back at Woodstock all the hippies were drinking milk shakes and eating home made cookies.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 1:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 12:50pm
in that framing, woodstock is, at base, attractive but naive while live aid is built on some fundamentally repulsive assumptions. so still voting woodstock, i guess.
One of my favourite dumb factoids about Woodstock was that for that weekend it was something like the fifth biggest "city" in the US, but far and away was the safest. It's all fiction—among other things, it wasn't a city and all the "residents" were basically on vacation—but there is a certain seductive power to the myth that the hippies did pull off something amazing at Woodstock.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I just read that the hippie couple on the cover of the Woodstock album is still together, so that's nice.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JennyB wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 3:45pm
I just read that the hippie couple on the cover of the Woodstock album is still together, so that's nice.
Yeah but they are KISS fans now.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I voted Woodstock too. Some good artists at both but Live Aid just seemed like an exercise in self indulgence by many of the artists involved.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

revbob wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 6:28pm
I voted Woodstock too. Some good artists at both but Live Aid just seemed like an exercise in self indulgence by many of the artists involved.
Yeah I always felt several of artists used Live Aid for their own agenda. Was it Adam Ant that got slammed for promoting his new single?