Hal Blaine dies at 90

General music discussion.
Post Reply
Inder
User avatar
corecore vanguard
Posts: 9201
Joined: 14 Jun 2008, 3:28pm

Hal Blaine dies at 90

Post by Inder » 11 Mar 2019, 9:04pm

Absolute icon.


matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 21038
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: Hal Blaine dies at 90

Post by matedog » 11 Mar 2019, 9:30pm

Legend in the drumming world.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 27350
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: Hal Blaine dies at 90

Post by Flex » 11 Mar 2019, 10:21pm

Fuck
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 2444
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: Hal Blaine dies at 90

Post by WestwayKid » 12 Mar 2019, 7:12am

He was an absolute legend. One of my favorite Hal Blaine performances is his playing on "The Boxer" by Simon & Garfunkel. Blaine and producer Roy Halee found a spot in the studio - I think it was out near the elevators - where the sound was thunderous. The snare shot after "Lie, lie, lie" is incredible. It sounds like a canon.

Be My Baby, Monday Monday, Good Vibrations, Mr. Tambourine Man, Strangers in the Night, and on and on and on.
"If they believed in a place called Kokomo, then so did I." - Michael Edward Love

JohnS
User avatar
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 549
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 6:18pm

Re: Hal Blaine dies at 90

Post by JohnS » 12 Mar 2019, 7:59am

Yeah, Hal Blaine is all over SO many classic records, with very little credit if at all.
And I can also recommend a CD of his called 'Buh-Doom!' - a spoken word album of him telling jokes. Yes, really.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 14467
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: Hal Blaine dies at 90

Post by Silent Majority » 12 Mar 2019, 10:16am

Kool Moe Dee was in the Treacherous Three

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 80292
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Hal Blaine dies at 90

Post by Dr. Medulla » 12 Mar 2019, 10:30am

But could he sing "Beth"? /heston
I'm an expert in gold mining lore!

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 17538
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: Hal Blaine dies at 90

Post by JennyB » 12 Mar 2019, 1:44pm

Absolute legend and so instrumental (ha!) in the Wall of Sound sound.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 80292
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Hal Blaine dies at 90

Post by Dr. Medulla » 12 Mar 2019, 1:49pm

BTW, if y'alls haven't seen the documentary The Wrecking Crew, it's well worth the time.
I'm an expert in gold mining lore!

Spiff
User avatar
Mostly Nekkid
Posts: 3944
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:23am
Location: In the Spiff Bunker

Re: Hal Blaine dies at 90

Post by Spiff » 12 Mar 2019, 2:40pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 1:49pm
BTW, if y'alls haven't seen the documentary The Wrecking Crew, it's well worth the time.
I agree with this post.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 17821
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Hal Blaine dies at 90

Post by 101Walterton » 12 Mar 2019, 3:09pm

WestwayKid wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 7:12am
He was an absolute legend. One of my favorite Hal Blaine performances is his playing on "The Boxer" by Simon & Garfunkel. Blaine and producer Roy Halee found a spot in the studio - I think it was out near the elevators - where the sound was thunderous. The snare shot after "Lie, lie, lie" is incredible. It sounds like a canon.

Be My Baby, Monday Monday, Good Vibrations, Mr. Tambourine Man, Strangers in the Night, and on and on and on.
I thought that was a canon.

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 9734
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Hal Blaine dies at 90

Post by Kory » 12 Mar 2019, 3:52pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 1:49pm
BTW, if y'alls haven't seen the documentary The Wrecking Crew, it's well worth the time.
I was just coming here to say this. The stuff with Carole Kaye is particularly great for me.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 80292
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Hal Blaine dies at 90

Post by Dr. Medulla » 12 Mar 2019, 4:10pm

Kory wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 3:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 1:49pm
BTW, if y'alls haven't seen the documentary The Wrecking Crew, it's well worth the time.
I was just coming here to say this. The stuff with Carole Kaye is particularly great for me.
I've also got an audiobook of the same name (I assume the two are connected) but it's never risen high enough in the queue to listen to it.
I'm an expert in gold mining lore!

WestwayKid
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 2444
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: Hal Blaine dies at 90

Post by WestwayKid » 13 Mar 2019, 10:06am

101Walterton wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 3:09pm
WestwayKid wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 7:12am
He was an absolute legend. One of my favorite Hal Blaine performances is his playing on "The Boxer" by Simon & Garfunkel. Blaine and producer Roy Halee found a spot in the studio - I think it was out near the elevators - where the sound was thunderous. The snare shot after "Lie, lie, lie" is incredible. It sounds like a canon.

Be My Baby, Monday Monday, Good Vibrations, Mr. Tambourine Man, Strangers in the Night, and on and on and on.
I thought that was a canon.
There's a story about a security man coming around the corner just as Blaine hit his snare - and getting the scare of his life!
"If they believed in a place called Kokomo, then so did I." - Michael Edward Love

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests