What a f**king rotter!

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

What a f**king rotter!

Post by Marky Dread »

I think Steve Pemberton does a brilliant job of Bill Grundy. Not too sure about camp Malcolm.

Have fun.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: What a f**king rotter!

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I'll watch this fully later, but the fella playing Lydon captures well his middle-distance stare/glower. Thanks for finding this!
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Apr 2019, 11:09am
I think Steve Pemberton does a brilliant job of Bill Grundy. Not too sure about camp Malcolm.

Have fun.
That Rotten was better than the Sid and Nancy one at least. It's hard when you are so familiar with certain people, any actor portraying them seems awkward and off putting.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Just finished watching it in whole. Quite good, I thought, tho I agree that McLaren was made overly effeminate. The guy playing Lydon really got his mannerisms and inflections down well. As Hoy said, so much better than the Sid & Nancy actor. I did chuckle at the "Don't talk to the mad one!" line.

Say, Marky, do you know whether Siouxsie has ever given her account of the entire incident?

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

I caught that on the TV a few months ago somehow. it was on Showtime or something
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Apr 2019, 4:50pm
Just finished watching it in whole. Quite good, I thought, tho I agree that McLaren was made overly effeminate. The guy playing Lydon really got his mannerisms and inflections down well. As Hoy said, so much better than the Sid & Nancy actor. I did chuckle at the "Don't talk to the mad one!" line.

Say, Marky, do you know whether Siouxsie has ever given her account of the entire incident?
Yeah she's spoke about it a couple of times. Not really in depth as she was only a bystander caught in the crossfire so to speak.

A little piece here.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Apr 2019, 8:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yeah she's spoke about it a couple of times. Not really in depth as she was only a bystander caught in the crossfire so to speak.

A little piece here.
I'm a bit curious about how she regards Grundy's dirty old man leering and propositioning, as well as what the mood was like in the green room. That dramatization rather hit home how limited that story has been related.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Apr 2019, 8:44pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

A little piece here.
I'm a bit curious about how she regards Grundy's dirty old man leering and propositioning, as well as what the mood was like in the green room. That dramatization rather hit home how limited that story has been related.
There's plenty of tales about Steve drinking Blue Nun in the green room and being well on his way to being sloshed. Paul Cook ''Steve said the most 'cause Steve drank the most''. That dramatization is fun but a little loose in places of course. They the Pistols and the Bromley contingent were aware of Grundy being arrogant but I doubt they truly knew he was a big drinker. Except in 70's Britain Grundy was no real different in attitude regarding women than many other middle aged men at the time.

I recently watched a documentary on the BBC about the Yorkshire ripper. The victims that were having to be prostitutes to get by to feed their kids were treated as second class citizens. As if it was their own fault they got murdered because they were as described by the arrogant chief of the Yorkshire police ''women of low morals''. Utterly awful way to talk another human being.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Apr 2019, 8:57pm
There's plenty of tales about Steve drinking Blue Nun in the green room and being well on his way to being sloshed. Paul Cook ''Steve said the most 'cause Steve drank the most''. That dramatization is fun but a little loose in places of course. They the Pistols and the Bromley contingent were aware of Grundy being arrogant but I doubt they truly knew he was a big drinker. Except in 70's Britain Grundy was no real different in attitude regarding women than many other middle aged men at the time.
I was recently talking to my mother, who's in her 90s, and she was kind of tut-tutting the metoo movement. She described her bosses when she was in her 20s giving all the women in the office kisses and hugs everyday and there was nothing wrong with it (so she said). I wasn't about to argue with her, but it was striking as to how naturalized that view was.
I recently watched a documentary on the BBC about the Yorkshire ripper. The victims that were having to be prostitutes to get by to feed their kids were treated as second class citizens. As if it was their own fault they got murdered because they were as described by the arrogant chief of the Yorkshire police ''women of low morals''. Utterly awful way to talk another human being.
And we haven't really moved that far beyond that view. The police, at least on the record, are more reluctant to disparage victims who are prostitutes, but the average person still regards them as something less than human in terms of empathy. Labour is labour and human is human.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I do sincerely feel that if that's how your Mother feels then that is completely fine. I don't think it's totally about the hugs etc but how it's done and how that person treats you as a human being. I'm not condoning lecherous behaviour at all. I also think the line is incredibly thin. Women just as capable of flirtatious behaviour and many times signals can be misread. Is putting your arm around someone the same as grabbing a backside personally I don't think. Of course if that person let's you know that the gesture is unwelcome and you are in their space then respect it. Sadly there will always be assholes who are non genuine and abuse their position/status.

Regards the way prostitutes are treated I think it's just dispicable.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:

Have fun.
Great job, a lot of time and effort went into that, what was it made for?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 12:53am
Marky Dread wrote:

Have fun.
Great job, a lot of time and effort went into that, what was it made for?
Sky Arts I think

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

A little piece here.

I watched that doc and it was brilliant. The narrator totally tore the police apart with their shit attitudes to women and bungling behaviour. I'm glad we've come on a bit as a society.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Apr 2019, 9:40pm
I do sincerely feel that if that's how your Mother feels then that is completely fine. I don't think it's totally about the hugs etc but how it's done and how that person treats you as a human being. I'm not condoning lecherous behaviour at all.
My issue was less about whether she thought it was fine for her than her dismissal of other women who reject uninvited hugs and the like.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 7:32am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

A little piece here.

I watched that doc and it was brilliant. The narrator totally tore the police apart with their shit attitudes to women and bungling behaviour. I'm glad we've come on a bit as a society.
Yes I agree about it being brilliant. My only concern was it depicted the Yorkshire police chief as a stubborn arrogant man with very antiquated views which of course he was. However those views were country wide not just those held by Yorkshire men. The facts of their ignorance to prostitutes and non prostitutes was astounding and so many women could have been saved but for that awful attitude.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia