Kory wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 3:11pm
Wolter wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 2:42pm
Kory wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 2:35pm
Marky Dread wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 2:09pm

I've got the Steven Wilson remasters with the blurays and instrumentals etc. I'm looking forward to the next remaster. The last one was The Dukes of Stratosphear set. The remasters are not as loud as the Virgin CDs.

I think they had "The Big Express" next on the list but they can't locate all the outtakes/demo master reels. Also they have to pay for someone to locate them in the archive.
Sad that English Settlement probably won't be among them, I read that they can't find multitracks to work from. Looking forward to Big Express though, I've never even heard it. I'll probably get the last Ape House master of it in the meantime.
Big Express is an album that is probably underrated despite being the least likely XTC album for me to reach for (well, probably tied with Go2. Because XTC is good enough that the weaker stuff is still amazingly strong.
I don't know why it took me so long to explore the later stuff. I just heard Lemons and Oranges for maybe the second time ever yesterday.
Oranges and Lemons is an incredible record.

English Settlement is great also. All their albums are really excellent and repay you by repeated listens. The more I listen the more I hear and fall in love with. One of the few band's where their back catalogue covers all the sounds I love most.
I'll second that.

The thing with the Big Express is two of the best songs of the era were relegated to b-sides, Red Brick Dream and Washaway.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The XTC Song You're Thinking About Right Now Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 3:40pm
Marky Dread wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 3:30pm
Kory wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Kory wrote:

Sad that English Settlement probably won't be among them, I read that they can't find multitracks to work from. Looking forward to Big Express though, I've never even heard it. I'll probably get the last Ape House master of it in the meantime.
Big Express is an album that is probably underrated despite being the least likely XTC album for me to reach for (well, probably tied with Go2. Because XTC is good enough that the weaker stuff is still amazingly strong.
I don't know why it took me so long to explore the later stuff. I just heard Lemons and Oranges for maybe the second time ever yesterday.

English Settlement is great also. All their albums are really excellent and repay you by repeated listens. The more I listen the more I hear and fall in love with. One of the few band's where their back catalogue covers all the sounds I love most.
I'll second that.

The thing with the Big Express is two of the best songs of the era were relegated to b-sides, Red Brick Dream and Washaway.
Both great tracks Red Brick Dream shouldve been the first track listed for the album. Brilliant song.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Just listening to "This World Over" from The Big Express now. Great song but christ, how loud is that Linn drum snare? It totally ruins the song. Why they chose to have the drums louder than the vocal is insane. Shame those masters can't be located.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
Took me ages as well. It was when I first got Limewire in that I really dived in with them. Was always a fan of the earlier stuff but everything after The Big Express had passed me by. Loads of treasure in the later material. For me, they are still a band that can jump from the sublime to the unlistenable at times but are always interesting.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 3:30pm
Kory wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 2:09pm

I've got the Steven Wilson remasters with the blurays and instrumentals etc. I'm looking forward to the next remaster. The last one was The Dukes of Stratosphear set. The remasters are not as loud as the Virgin CDs.

I think they had "The Big Express" next on the list but they can't locate all the outtakes/demo master reels. Also they have to pay for someone to locate them in the archive.

Yeah, like I said, even their weaker albums are only weak graded on the curve against their stronger ones.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston

Post by Heston »

Just listening to TBE a bit more, fuck, I forgot how great "I Remember the Sun" is.

Heston

Post by Heston »

I'm listening to Cavegirl now, it's my new favourite song. I'm laughing and digging it in equal measure. I would pay good money to hear Andy's unreleased Bubblegum album.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 5:51pm
I'm listening to Cavegirl now, it's my new favourite song. I'm laughing and digging it in equal measure. I would pay good money to hear Andy's unreleased Bubblegum album.
Same.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 6:02pm
Heston wrote:
Same.
Andy's "jungle noises" at the start had me smiling straight away. I can't believe he just sits on stuff like this.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Mp3 of Cavegirl for anyone who can't be arsed to jump through the hoops of the website to get the free download...

http://www.filefactory.com/stream/6p868wgsvjwf

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 6:02pm
Heston wrote:
Same.
Thirded.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Heston wrote:
I love the lyrics. 'I've got a Bronto / we can jump on to...'
Brilliant.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Heston

Post by Heston »

JohnS wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 6:43pm
Heston wrote:
I love the lyrics. 'I've got a Bronto / we can jump on to...'
Brilliant.
Yeah, loads of the lyrics had me smiling. "If we try hard enough we can invent the wheel."

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

The way Virgin treated the band was a disgrace. They clearly undervalued XTC and what an exceptional band they had.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia