Miles Davis Electric 1968- 1978

General music discussion.
Tim Bucknall
Bang Ice Geezer

Miles Davis Electric 1968- 1978

Post by Tim Bucknall »

So apart from me and Red Angel -who is using “on the corner” as his avatar, any other Miles lovers here? (Don’t call it jazz!)

In a Silent way- ambient genius
Big fun - half screaming guitars & half ambience
Black Beauty- distorted electric piano that sound like guitars! Feedback to die for!

Jack Johnson - slamming rock with wierd chords
At Filmore - even more aggressive than black beauty.
Live Evil- a frankenstein sewn together by producer and genius Teo Macero - again john mclaughlins guitar could peel the paint off the walls

On the Corner- post-punk, hip hop, trip hop, mutant disco - all created by this record

In concert 72 basically the tour for on the corner corner plus a load of stuff that hadn’t been released as studio recordings when this came out

Dark Magus - jah wobbles favourite! Listed in kerrangs 100 heaviest albums, 3 guitarists no rehearsals!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Miles Davis Electric 1968- 1978

Post by Kory »

Tim Bucknall wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 1:25pm
So apart from me and Red Angel -who is using “on the corner” as his avatar, any other Miles lovers here? (Don’t call it jazz!)

In a Silent way- ambient genius
Big fun - half screaming guitars & half ambience
Black Beauty- distorted electric piano that sound like guitars! Feedback to die for!

Jack Johnson - slamming rock with wierd chords
At Filmore - even more aggressive than black beauty.
Live Evil- a frankenstein sewn together by producer and genius Teo Macero - again john mclaughlins guitar could peel the paint off the walls

On the Corner- post-punk, hip hop, trip hop, mutant disco - all created by this record

In concert 72 basically the tour for on the corner corner plus a load of stuff that hadn’t been released as studio recordings when this came out

Dark Magus - jah wobbles favourite! Listed in kerrangs 100 heaviest albums, 3 guitarists no rehearsals!
I'm a decently big Miles fan, though I don't listen to his fusion period nearly as much as the "Second Great Quintet" string of albums from E.S.P. to Filles de Kilimanjaro. Really cool in/out work that has just the right amount of dissonance and consonance for me.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Yeah, all of those albums are years ahead of their time. I find it genuinely hard to believe they were created by the same man who did Kind Of Blue, Sketches of Spain etc. Aided hugely by Teo Macero's skilful editing of course. Any virtuoso trumpet player who decides to start playing through effects pedals into an amp - and antagonise a hell of a lot of purists in the process - is worth checking out, in my opinion.
I can see how Wobble is a fan - this stuff was also hugely influential on the Pop Group and tons more post-punk I'm sure.
And one of the great 'what ifs...' is imagining what the proposed collaboration with Jimi Hendrix would have sounded like. Er, if Jimi had lived, of course.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Toppers Boppers
Long Time Jerk

Post by Toppers Boppers »

The Man With The Horn, one of my fave MD albums. Fat Time is immense, Mike Stern is like Mick Jones on steroids!
Got to see Miles and his band in London during the 80s, I wasn't disappointed.

Tim Bucknall
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by Tim Bucknall »

Nice one you saw him!

A London friend told me how the post-punk crowd were devouring all these mega cheap Miles Albums from camden market in the late 70s

I can hear Miles in Early PiL even up to this is what you want
Then tony williams appeared on “album”

Before in a silent way there is the occasion earlier track like freedom jazz dance and “stuff” from miles in the sky that really grabs me

If petits machines is from kilimanjaro then thats at least one song on that
I have those sessions box sets that cut across some of the albums so i get confused

Totally agree about it being mind blowing how far he travelled musically.
The directions compilation shows the progression really well

I meant to mention get up with it in my first post but my arm got tired :D rated x, maiysha - just stunning, rated x was the track that hooked me into miles in the first place

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Somehow I missed this thread. Big Miles fan. All the usual suspects - everything you listed is top-notch - and I really love is late era mutant jazz-hop too. I'll listen to, like, Doo-Bop as much as I will anything else.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

I confess ... "On The Corner" is one of my favorite albums.

Music is the only thing that matters

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Red Angel wrote:
10 May 2019, 2:57pm
I confess ... "On The Corner" is one of my favorite albums.

youtube.com/watch?v=AIqXprCArdo
possibly my most played Miles record. :cool: :cool: :cool:

(Love that cover art! :mrgreen: )
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dirty Harry
Junco Partner

Post by Dirty Harry »

On The Corner and Bitches Brew the 2 favourites for me

At times though Bitches Brew can blow me away and sometimes ive turned it off after 10 minutes..
Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, "Listen, mate, "life" has surface noise."

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dirty Harry wrote:
12 May 2019, 6:04am
On The Corner and Bitches Brew the 2 favourites for me

At times though Bitches Brew can blow me away and sometimes ive turned it off after 10 minutes..
I feel the same about BB.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"