The BitterHoyston Review thread

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The BitterHoyston Review thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
15 May 2019, 10:18am
Nothing personal - I just don't get the desire to cling to those days. Life has been far more interesting post high school. High school was not the 4 most important years of my life. It was simply 4 years out of the 42 I've lived so far. The fact of being actively in high school is not significant.
There's a wonderful and subtle line in Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Brad says something like, We're going to be seniors, this could be the best year of our lives. Which is to say, it's all downhill from there, you peaked at age eighteen, chump.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 May 2019, 5:11am
Can we have more 90s stuff? This 70's/80's stuff is uninspired.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 May 2019, 10:58am
WestwayKid wrote:
Nothing personal - I just don't get the desire to cling to those days. Life has been far more interesting post high school. High school was not the 4 most important years of my life. It was simply 4 years out of the 42 I've lived so far. The fact of being actively in high school is not significant.
There's a wonderful and subtle line in Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Brad says something like, We're going to be seniors, this could be the best year of our lives. Which is to say, it's all downhill from there, you peaked at age eighteen, chump.
Hello,

I went to a 10 year reunion. It was pretty boring as I kept thinking "There's a reason I don't keep in touch with these people." I spent far too much time going over what I had done since High School while many of them did not have much to describe (growing up in a mill town didn't help). I've missed a few others as I really don't have much in common with those people. They're some that definitely fit the idea that life is downhill after 18. I've never subscribed to that idea - my best year is next year.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

I had a perfectly good time at my 10 year. Yikes, already 8 years ago. I went with my friends that I still see regularly and got drunk with people I hadn't seen in about 10 years that I would have no other reason to hang out with. A lot of people described their profession as "consultant" which probably doesn't really mean anything.

I guess the fun aspect was getting drunk with a couple close friends in a weird environment with people I had never hung out with.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
15 May 2019, 5:55am
BitterTom wrote:
15 May 2019, 5:46am
Marky Dread wrote:
15 May 2019, 5:11am
Jimmy The Hoover? Was that really the best name they came up with?

The song itself is a bit of fun, nice happy melody but it's no Tarzan Boy, now that was a good record.
Yeah, I like Tarzan Boy.
The 80s just died in my arms tonight. You'll be eulogizing over Japanese Boy next. :scared:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
15 May 2019, 11:10am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 May 2019, 10:58am
WestwayKid wrote:
Hello,

I went to a 10 year reunion. It was pretty boring as I kept thinking "There's a reason I don't keep in touch with these people." I spent far too much time going over what I had done since High School while many of them did not have much to describe (growing up in a mill town didn't help). I've missed a few others as I really don't have much in common with those people. They're some that definitely fit the idea that life is downhill after 18. I've never subscribed to that idea - my best year is next year.
Totally. In the same way as the saying, "You choose your friends, you don't choose your family," you also don't choose your classmates. I do think it's worse for those of us from smaller communities because the diversity is much weaker, so anyone who has unconventional tastes or views is all the more isolated.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
15 May 2019, 10:48am
Wolter wrote:
15 May 2019, 10:29am
JennyB wrote:
15 May 2019, 9:38am
WestwayKid wrote:
14 May 2019, 4:57pm
Flex wrote:
14 May 2019, 4:55pm
Good confession thread here. I sorta like Saturday in the Park. Very evocative of a certain sort of pleasant summer day.
25 or 6 to 4 is a straight up butt kicker!
I agree - love the horns in that one.
I do not like any other songs by them, but those two are a hoot.
I probably owe the first couple/few Chicago records a listen, their later stuff is so bad that I don't know if I've really mined those albums to see if there are a few more tasty treats within.
Honestly, same. I like that late 60s “pop with horns” sound, but their later stuff is so bad that, like UB40, I never gave the early stuff a fair shake.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
15 May 2019, 11:34am
Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:
JennyB wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

I probably owe the first couple/few Chicago records a listen, their later stuff is so bad that I don't know if I've really mined those albums to see if there are a few more tasty treats within.
Honestly, same. I like that late 60s “pop with horns” sound, but their later stuff is so bad that, like UB40, I never gave the early stuff a fair shake.
It's great you guys think this way instead of dismissing stuff out of hand because of later crimes.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:
JennyB wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Flex wrote:
14 May 2019, 4:55pm
Good confession thread here. I sorta like Saturday in the Park. Very evocative of a certain sort of pleasant summer day.
They got bad when they started trying to chase trends. They also went downhill after Terry Kath died. Chicago 13 in 1979 was really bad. They tried disco on that one. They then hooked up with schlock kind David Foster in 1982 for Chicago 16 and at that point they essentially became a backing band for the smooth pop of Peter Cetera. That said - there are some good songs on the Foster albums - even Chicago 18 - which was the first post-Cetera album. There are definitely some good tracks to be heard across their first albums - and I recommend checking them out.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
15 May 2019, 11:13am
I had a perfectly good time at my 10 year. Yikes, already 8 years ago. I went with my friends that I still see regularly and got drunk with people I hadn't seen in about 10 years that I would have no other reason to hang out with. A lot of people described their profession as "consultant" which probably doesn't really mean anything.

I guess the fun aspect was getting drunk with a couple close friends in a weird environment with people I had never hung out with.
This.

Some right miserable gits on here!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
15 May 2019, 12:57pm
matedog wrote:
15 May 2019, 11:13am

This.

Some right miserable gits on here!
Oi! Oi!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BitterTom