I met a Sex Pistol tonight

General music discussion.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: I met a Sex Pistol tonight

Post by Wolter »

1. I’m glad Matlock’s a good dude and I bet he’s a lot more fun to hang out with than Lydon.

2. This thread title sounds like a novelty song written by a pub rocker under a pen name to make a few bucks off the punk explosion.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

101Walterton wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 3:29pm
Great story thanks for sharing. Nothing wrong with being a fanboy it happens to the best of us (nothing more embarrassing than my Weller meeting and failed selfie).
Oh God, I douldn't even imagine meeting him, I think I'd just hide and hope he came up to me and said something like "nice shoes mate"

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Wolter wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 3:34pm
1. I’m glad Matlock’s a good dude and I bet he’s a lot more fun to hang out with than Lydon.

2. This thread title sounds like a novelty song written by a pub rocker under a pen name to make a few bucks off the punk explosion.

Number 2, that's pretty funny! as for Lydon, I'd keep my distance from him now a days, wouldn't have minded having a pint with him in 78 though

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 3:34pm

1. Agreed

2. Ha brilliant!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

coffeepotman wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 3:47pm
101Walterton wrote:
Great story thanks for sharing. Nothing wrong with being a fanboy it happens to the best of us (nothing more embarrassing than my Weller meeting and failed selfie).
Oh God, I douldn't even imagine meeting him, I think I'd just hide and hope he came up to me and said something like "nice shoes mate"
I've met Paul and he's really down to earth.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 5:02pm
coffeepotman wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Paul and Glen seem like the two who survived being a Sex Pistol without any real damage. Perhaps no coincidence that they were the quiet guys.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 5:04pm
Marky Dread wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Paul and Glen seem like the two who survived being a Sex Pistol without any real damage. Perhaps no coincidence that they were the quiet guys.
Yes you are correct but in this instance I was referring to Paul Weller.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 5:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Shit, maybe I should read the context of the discussion. I didn't know we'd moved on to other encounters. But Weller was down to earth? That surprises, as he has a vibe of being a really cold prick.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 5:10pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:

Shit, maybe I should read the context of the discussion. I didn't know we'd moved on to other encounters. But Weller was down to earth? That surprises, as he has a vibe of being a really cold prick.
I don't know why you think that. He's a real easy going geezer and an everyday guy. I first met him in the early nineties at a record fair. He bought a Small Faces album from me. We chatted about the Small Faces agreeing what a great band they were and how sad it was that they never really got the recognition they deserved

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 5:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I don't know why you think that. He's a real easy going geezer and an everyday guy. I first met him in the early nineties at a record fair. He bought a Small Faces album from me. We chatted about the Small Faces agreeing what a great band they were and how sad it was that they never really got the recognition they deserved
Just a vibe. Maybe he really hates being interviewed, but the few times I saw him on tv he seemed really icy.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 5:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Just a vibe. Maybe he really hates being interviewed, but the few times I saw him on tv he seemed really icy.
He was in the Jam days, I've seen some really awkward interviews with him. Check this one...

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 5:48pm
He was in the Jam days, I've seen some really awkward interviews with him. Check this one...

I can't fault him at all in that situation. Local morning show with hosts who know nothing about your music (likely any music) and don't want to do the interview anymore than he does.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 5:55pm
Heston wrote:

I can't fault him at all in that situation. Local morning show with hosts who know nothing about your music (likely any music) and don't want to do the interview anymore than he does.
Yeah, but play the game a little bit? Maybe that's why the miserable sod never gained any traction in the States.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I could talk Small Faces for hours! Love that band

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 6:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 5:55pm
Heston wrote:

Yeah, but play the game a little bit? Maybe that's why the miserable sod never gained any traction in the States.
I don't think it mattered one way or another. In 1980 in the US, it was all about radio airplay. Doing those kinds of tv interviews were desperation tactics for off-centre UK bands trying to get any kind of buzz when they couldn't get radio play. But the people watching that show either had zero interest in anything remotely connected to punk or already knew who the Jam were and were into them. It's not until MTV that those bands had a real means of connecting to wider audiences. Before that, college radio and word of mouth. I wouldn't be surprised if the band did a half dozen of those miserable sit downs with twits like those two. Hmm, maybe that is what made Paul seem like such a cold interviewee when I saw him later …