Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 7:56pm
Kory wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 7:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 7:20pm
Kory wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 7:10pm

Maybe he genuinely doesn't think that anything past '82 is as good as anything on this list. Could be a top 20 would yield later stuff.
It just seems weird that he wouldn't rate anything by his contemporaries (Minutemen excepted) as good as the Class of 77(ish). No Dead Kennedys? No Husker Du? No Minor Threat? I have to think that he was being really selective in terms of criteria.
It could totally be that he doesn't like any of his contemporaries. I know I don't like any of mine.
:lol: Maybe. But it'd be a rather striking assessment that nothing he nor his contemporaries did compared favourably with the people who came, like, five-ish years earlier.

edit: re. Heston's comment :lol: :lol:
I suppose I'm sort of throwing out the idea that because he was part of the scene it could be that he felt the other bands were just there and nothing to write home about (or rather, that nothing that they or Black Flag did could possibly measure up to the first wave), or even that he felt in direct competition with them and didn't like them.
It's possible. Admittedly, I'm no fan of BF or HR, but I'm unaware whether he's jaundiced towards his generation's work vis a vis punk's initial wave.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Henry Rollins' Top-20 Punk Albums

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 6:47am
Heston wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 7:55pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 7:10pm

Maybe he genuinely doesn't think that anything past '82 is as good as anything on this list. Could be a top 20 would yield later stuff.
It just seems weird that he wouldn't rate anything by his contemporaries (Minutemen excepted) as good as the Class of 77(ish). No Dead Kennedys? No Husker Du? No Minor Threat? I have to think that he was being really selective in terms of criteria.
It could totally be that he doesn't like any of his contemporaries. I know I don't like any of mine.
Jesus, you're like a more contemporary version of Revbob.
Hey! That doesn't sound like a compliment.
;)
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 1:49pm
Kory wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 1:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

:lol: Maybe. But it'd be a rather striking assessment that nothing he nor his contemporaries did compared favourably with the people who came, like, five-ish years earlier.

I suppose I'm sort of throwing out the idea that because he was part of the scene it could be that he felt the other bands were just there and nothing to write home about (or rather, that nothing that they or Black Flag did could possibly measure up to the first wave), or even that he felt in direct competition with them and didn't like them.
It's possible. Admittedly, I'm no fan of BF or HR, but I'm unaware whether he's jaundiced towards his generation's work vis a vis punk's initial wave.
We all know the best bands from that era are X and Circle Jerks anyway.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 3:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

You got it!
:shifty:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 3:52pm
Kory wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 3:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

You got it!
:shifty:
YOU KNOW WHAT I MEANT (I have that album on cassette for some reason).
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 3:55pm
(I have that album on cassette for some reason).
I had it on cassette back in the day. I've probably downloaded it for completionist purposes, but I know I haven't listened to it.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I think its a decent list and I'd probably have about half those on my list. But I really couldn't argue against his choices .