Songs That Take You Right Back

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Songs That Take You Right Back

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
24 Jul 2019, 10:15am
Coma Girl always takes me back to the summer of 2016. I had gotten divorced in August 2015 and that fall/winter were rough as I struggled to get back on my feet again. That summer was the first time I started to feel even kind of normal again. I had a little money to do things after not having any for months. I was figuring out how to be a single dad. I was feeling less sad. This song was on a mix I had on my old iPod Classic and while playing it one day in the car - my son mentioned that he liked it and asked me who it was by. I've never been one to "push" my musical tastes on my kids - but rather just expose them to a lot and when they like something I'll tell them about it. This was the first time I got to tell my son (he was 6) about Joe and The Clash and that song quickly became a highlight of our adventures that summer. It reminds me vividly of a time in my life where things were getting better after being really bad.
It's great when a song represents a time of positivity. Good on ya mate.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

WestwayKid wrote:
Coma Girl always takes me back to the summer of 2016. I had gotten divorced in August 2015 and that fall/winter were rough as I struggled to get back on my feet again. That summer was the first time I started to feel even kind of normal again. I had a little money to do things after not having any for months. I was figuring out how to be a single dad. I was feeling less sad. This song was on a mix I had on my old iPod Classic and while playing it one day in the car - my son mentioned that he liked it and asked me who it was by. I've never been one to "push" my musical tastes on my kids - but rather just expose them to a lot and when they like something I'll tell them about it. This was the first time I got to tell my son (he was 6) about Joe and The Clash and that song quickly became a highlight of our adventures that summer. It reminds me vividly of a time in my life where things were getting better after being really bad.
Love it mate. Sorry for you for going through that shitty time but glad there was positivity in here. The beauty of music right here. Thanks for sharing!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
I had a somewhat similar experience with my daughter and Johnny Appleseed. No divorce woes at the time thankfully but it was our song for a while, that whole album actually. She's a young adult now and has her own musical tastes that don't always align with mine but she got herself a nice Know Your Rights shirt a few years ago.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Came up on the iPod today and, bam, it was like I was in 1986 (but in a good way).
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Sep 2019, 5:05pm

Came up on the iPod today and, bam, it was like I was in 1986 (but in a good way).
:mrgreen:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Sep 2019, 5:05pm

Top stuff. :approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Breakout - Swing Out Sister

Always enjoyed this happy tune but I'll forever remember it coming on the radio in August 2017 and Alex ringing me at work, something she never does. Anxious what the news was, I was over the moon to find out 1, she was absolutely fine and 2, more importantly, that she just found out she was pregnant.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BitterTom wrote:
21 Sep 2019, 7:59am
Breakout - Swing Out Sister

Always enjoyed this happy tune but I'll forever remember it coming on the radio in August 2017 and Alex ringing me at work, something she never does. Anxious what the news was, I was over the moon to find out 1, she was absolutely fine and 2, more importantly, that she just found out she was pregnant.
The song does little for me personally. But that's a real nice touch all the same mate.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Money On My Mind - Sam Smith

The stations were avidly playing this 2013/2014. Just moved up north, unsure if I'd made the right decision. Being grown up for the first time, discovering the delights of council tax and PAYE deductions. However come the start of 2014 I was set up on a double date, not expecting much, I met Alex and thought she was amazing and I had to get to know her more. Always associate this song with that sort of time, as I was telling Alex an hour ago.

She's always hated it apparently.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

BitterTom wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 5:51pm

The stations were avidly playing this 2013/2014. Just moved up north, unsure if I'd made the right decision. Being grown up for the first time, discovering the delights of council tax and PAYE deductions. However come the start of 2014 I was set up on a double date, not expecting much, I met Alex and thought she was amazing and I had to get to know her more. Always associate this song with that sort of time, as I was telling Alex an hour ago.

Where did you move from? I thought you were always a Brummie.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

101Walterton wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 6:01pm
BitterTom wrote:

Nah mate, born and bred South Wales.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

BitterTom wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 6:42pm
101Walterton wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 6:01pm
BitterTom wrote:

Nah mate, born and bred South Wales.
You kept that quiet 😉