07 Jul 2019, 6:34am
101Walterton wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 5:22pm
Marky Dread wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 10:39am
101Walterton wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 7:12pm

I won’t deny it.
C'mon now we all know you were a Dustman in '83. Those cor blimey trousers were a dead giveaway.
That is what Doc said, like trousers like brain.
Wasn't '83 the year you made the famous Crossing?
😂😂😂 the crossing was but crossinggate was a bit later.
Was Crossinggate when you were blasting The Crossing really loud and some gal showed up naked and then something or other happened? (refresh me memory...)
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

101Walterton
The Best

Re: Songs That Take You Right Back

Post by 101Walterton »

muppet hi fi wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 3:41pm
101Walterton wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 3:36pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

C'mon now we all know you were a Dustman in '83. Those cor blimey trousers were a dead giveaway.
Was Crossinggate when you were blasting The Crossing really loud and some gal showed up naked and then something or other happened? (refresh me memory...)
That is how it played out in my mind but sadly not hers #metoo

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

101Walterton wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 3:43pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 3:41pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

That is how it played out in my mind but sadly not hers #metoo
Well mate, though The Crossing is one of my top 10 fave albums, ya gotta admit it's not exactly sexy-time music. :disshame:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 7:12pm

I won’t deny it.
😂 I thought you would Chance it.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Down Payment Blues - AC/DC

I'm playing GTA III for the PS2 in 2006, on the second island doing jobs for Kenji. I always used to play music on the CD player and mute the telly while playing games. I was aware of AC/DC in as much as I appreciated the albums of Highway To Hell and Back In Black but hadn't delved deeper. I asked for Powerage for my birthday and I struck lucky. Already heard Rock N Roll Damnation so track 2 was brand new. That beat coming on takes me right back to GTA III and having to pause the game after it finished so I could hear it again with headphones.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Wake Me Up - Avicii

Summer 2013, just finished uni. Back at home, no expenses other than fags and beer, part time working at the butchers. There was a group of about 10 of us who'd go out every Tuesday, Friday and Saturday. The rest of the week we'd still go the pub but there were less people attending. We spent every bit of spare time that summer down the local or at my mate's shed which had electric, a telly and it was the one place we could smoke indoors. Throughout that glorious summer this song was blaring from every pub and club in the town. By the end of August I was accepted to join a butchers 4 hours away up north (funnily enough the same butchers I'm 'starting' at tomorrow) and that was the end of that. I'll never forget the final night out though, the club was a bit rough but a lovely gesture from my mates meant I heard the DJ say "this one's for Tom who's moving away in a few days, all the best from your mates." Wake Me Up comes on. Great memories from a great song. Oh, and a fucking belter of a summer.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
21 Jul 2019, 4:06pm
Wake Me Up - Avicii

Summer 2013, just finished uni. Back at home, no expenses other than fags and beer, part time working at the butchers. There was a group of about 10 of us who'd go out every Tuesday, Friday and Saturday. The rest of the week we'd still go the pub but there were less people attending. We spent every bit of spare time that summer down the local or at my mate's shed which had electric, a telly and it was the one place we could smoke indoors. Throughout that glorious summer this song was blaring from every pub and club in the town. By the end of August I was accepted to join a butchers 4 hours away up north (funnily enough the same butchers I'm 'starting' at tomorrow) and that was the end of that. I'll never forget the final night out though, the club was a bit rough but a lovely gesture from my mates meant I heard the DJ say "this one's for Tom who's moving away in a few days, all the best from your mates." Wake Me Up comes on. Great memories from a great song. Oh, and a fucking belter of a summer.
Great story but the song is fucking shit.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
21 Jul 2019, 9:35pm
BitterTom wrote:
Wake Me Up - Avicii

Yeah great story mate. Not my taste but nice it means more than just a song.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Remote Control. I bought it in a record shop in Crewe when I was staying with my auntie. She had this old radiogram thing and I remember blasting it out when she was out shopping. Plus the live in a studio mono take of London's Burning on the flip side. It was a shame the record company released it without the band's knowledge while they were on tour. But what a great track.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

deny
Long Time Jerk

Post by deny »

Video Kills the Radio star. I remember this as an eleven year old & being off school. It was always on the radio at the time.
Joining the Street Parade

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 6:58am
Remote Control. I bought it in a record shop in Crewe when I was staying with my auntie. She had this old radiogram thing and I remember blasting it out when she was out shopping. Plus the live in a studio mono take of London's Burning on the flip side. It was a shame the record company released it without the band's knowledge while they were on tour. But what a great track.
Well, on the up-side we did get "Complete Control" out of it. ;)

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

deny wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 10:30am
Video Kills the Radio star. I remember this as an eleven year old & being off school. It was always on the radio at the time.
Tho its main association now is with MTV, I connect it with some kind of K-Tel compilation my sister had—Best of Rock 1980 or some other unimaginative name.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Heston wrote:
21 Jul 2019, 9:35pm
BitterTom wrote:
Wake Me Up - Avicii

You know the drill, shit music what I live for.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 2:05pm
Marky Dread wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 6:58am
Well, on the up-side we did get "Complete Control" out of it. ;)
Well part of Complete Control anyway. The rest is the day to day diary of The Clash.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Coma Girl always takes me back to the summer of 2016. I had gotten divorced in August 2015 and that fall/winter were rough as I struggled to get back on my feet again. That summer was the first time I started to feel even kind of normal again. I had a little money to do things after not having any for months. I was figuring out how to be a single dad. I was feeling less sad. This song was on a mix I had on my old iPod Classic and while playing it one day in the car - my son mentioned that he liked it and asked me who it was by. I've never been one to "push" my musical tastes on my kids - but rather just expose them to a lot and when they like something I'll tell them about it. This was the first time I got to tell my son (he was 6) about Joe and The Clash and that song quickly became a highlight of our adventures that summer. It reminds me vividly of a time in my life where things were getting better after being really bad.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble