Velvet Underground question

General music discussion.
dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Velvet Underground question

Post by dave202 »

When 'Loaded' was originally released part of the song was edited out, the bridge I believe, and every release since then has featured the 'full length version'. Even, it would appear, the 45th Anniversary box set, which I don't have. Is the edit available anywhere? I've searched as best as I can to no avail.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Re: Velvet Underground question

Post by muppet hi fi »

Which song(s) are you talking about? Three were edited on the original vinyl releases: "Sweet Jane", "New Age" and "Rock & Roll". All three were restored on the 1998 2 CD 'Fully Loaded' edition. A new remastered version has been released that has the original edits, plus there's the original CD version.

EDIT: I don't have the new single disc remaster, so don't know if it features edits or not.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

If you are talking Sweet Jane, it's on youtube:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

muppet hi fi wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 4:32pm
Which song(s) are you talking about? Three were edited on the original vinyl releases: "Sweet Jane", "New Age" and "Rock & Roll". All three were restored on the 1998 2 CD 'Fully Loaded' edition. A new remastered version has been released that has the original edits, plus there's the original CD version.

EDIT: I don't have the new single disc remaster, so don't know if it features edits or not.
Sorry, I was meaning 'Sweet Jane' and had forgotten 'Rock & Roll' had an edit, didn't know about the third. I've looked again, and when I saw the new 45th 6 disc set had the mono mix for the album I didn't realise it used the shorter versions of the two tracks I've mentioned. I'll start saving now. I tried Youtube earlier but couldn't find the edit. Thanks.