Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 3:17pm
Kory wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 3:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 3:05pm
Kory wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 2:58pm

You said at the wake that you found Pink Noise, is this New Excuse that you found?

Stephen Hague hates bassists, you can ask Hooky all about it.
Yup, the new one. The record's sound suggests, yeah, Hague hasn't left 1986 in his mind. I feel like I should be listening a chromium dioxide cassette in my sports Walkman.
If you ever feel like listening to it again, here's a fun story: I wrote (among other things) the intro to the song "Saved," which Hague didn't like (he didn't really like anything about me, really), and he wanted us to replace it with basically a straight ripoff of the slow build intro from Bowie's "Let's Dance." He thought since our song sounded like the Bowie song already, it was a better intro, whereas I thought that we should try not to rip off other artists on purpose. You can just about hear the horns in there too, that he completely ripped from the same Bowie song. Shameful.
What's funny is that as that one got underway, when the guitars kicked in, I immediately thought, "This is 'Let's Dance'!" Then the horns confirmed it. I completely understand your frustration in that band.
After a particularly tense argument, Astra once said "I don't care about cliches."
In a few situations, that would be admirable. In most … not so much
I'm very glad to be out, but the big stress now is trying to figure out what I want my own stuff to sound like.
I would think it's a good kind of stress, tho. You have the luxury of experimenting and figuring out what sounds right to you rather than deal with someone it's pretty apparent you didn't respect or who shared your aesthetics. I mean, you're artistically ambitious and know what you don't want, so there's a lot of freedom there. It's not like you're under a timetable or contract.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: I need a publishing/royalties boffin

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 3:35pm
Kory wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 3:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 3:17pm
Kory wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 3:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 3:05pm

Yup, the new one. The record's sound suggests, yeah, Hague hasn't left 1986 in his mind. I feel like I should be listening a chromium dioxide cassette in my sports Walkman.
If you ever feel like listening to it again, here's a fun story: I wrote (among other things) the intro to the song "Saved," which Hague didn't like (he didn't really like anything about me, really), and he wanted us to replace it with basically a straight ripoff of the slow build intro from Bowie's "Let's Dance." He thought since our song sounded like the Bowie song already, it was a better intro, whereas I thought that we should try not to rip off other artists on purpose. You can just about hear the horns in there too, that he completely ripped from the same Bowie song. Shameful.
What's funny is that as that one got underway, when the guitars kicked in, I immediately thought, "This is 'Let's Dance'!" Then the horns confirmed it. I completely understand your frustration in that band.
After a particularly tense argument, Astra once said "I don't care about cliches."
In a few situations, that would be admirable. In most … not so much
I'm very glad to be out, but the big stress now is trying to figure out what I want my own stuff to sound like.
I would think it's a good kind of stress, tho. You have the luxury of experimenting and figuring out what sounds right to you rather than deal with someone it's pretty apparent you didn't respect or who shared your aesthetics. I mean, you're artistically ambitious and know what you don't want, so there's a lot of freedom there. It's not like you're under a timetable or contract.
I guess I feel the timetable of mortality looming all the time. Getting close to that midlife crisis.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 4:48pm
I guess I feel the timetable of mortality looming all the time. Getting close to that midlife crisis.
If it spurs you to commit to your work, embrace it. But I'm not convinced that people do their best work anxious.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 5:00pm
Kory wrote:
If it spurs you to commit to your work, embrace it. But I'm not convinced that people do their best work anxious.
Agreed. Unless your name is Kafka.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Olaf wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 6:25am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Todd Kafka is not nearly as talented as he thinks he is.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 6:32am
Olaf wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 6:25am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Todd Kafka is not nearly as talented as he thinks he is.
:shifty:
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?