I need a publishing/royalties boffin

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: I need a publishing/royalties boffin

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 8:49pm
I really did do my best with these guys to increase the quality of their music by introducing the idea of transitions, intros, outros, etc. In some cases I was semi-successful, in other cases they were very resistant, but in a lot of other cases, Stephen Hague stripped my ideas away in the interest of "streamlining" and radio-friendliness. His aesthetic is very apparent from the stuff he did in the 80s, and he hasn't changed much since then.
In terms of artistic perspective, it really does makes sense that you've parted ways. They seem quite conventional and happy to be derivative of their influences. Which is fine—plenty of bands that I like that aren't original or distinct—but you're more iconoclastic and ambitious, so the lack of shared vision was always going to be a problem. Personally, I'd rather you walk away than compromise yourself (but I have a long track record of walking away, so I'm validating my own inclinations). And if performing has potentially hooked you up with better collaborators, it'll have been worth it.

(So, the record is going to sound like late 80s OMD or Pet Shop Boys, all super slick? I still mostly like those records, but it's been three decades.)
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Kory you should audition for PIL then at the end tell Lydon it is just a joke and we sent you, see if he laughs or walks out :mrgreen:

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 9:04pm
Kory wrote:
I really did do my best with these guys to increase the quality of their music by introducing the idea of transitions, intros, outros, etc. In some cases I was semi-successful, in other cases they were very resistant, but in a lot of other cases, Stephen Hague stripped my ideas away in the interest of "streamlining" and radio-friendliness. His aesthetic is very apparent from the stuff he did in the 80s, and he hasn't changed much since then.
In terms of artistic perspective, it really does makes sense that you've parted ways. They seem quite conventional and happy to be derivative of their influences. Which is fine—plenty of bands that I like that aren't original or distinct—but you're more iconoclastic and ambitious, so the lack of shared vision was always going to be a problem. Personally, I'd rather you walk away than compromise yourself (but I have a long track record of walking away, so I'm validating my own inclinations). And if performing has potentially hooked you up with better collaborators, it'll have been worth it.

(So, the record is going to sound like late 80s OMD or Pet Shop Boys, all super slick? I still mostly like those records, but it's been three decades.)
Well thanks for the support along the way, I know I annoyed some of my more physically immediate friends with my agonizing for a year and a half.

The album is pretty slick—he added a lot of synth pads and triggered drum samples with the real drums, so they sound pretty fake. I wouldn't say we sound quite as synthy as PSB or OMD, but certainly way, way less organic than I was hoping. I was hoping he'd have more creative suggestions for the songs, but I kind of feel like he was just earning a paycheck here—a result of him producing remotely from another continent. Also, no ego here, but the rhythm section is pretty weak in the mix in order to make the vocals and guitars way louder, which I think is an injustice to the songs since it's the first time the band has had a bassist and most of the songs are built on the bassline. He spoke to the two singers more often than me so I think he had a subconscious (or not) preference for them in general.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 2:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Well thanks for the support along the way, I know I annoyed some of my more physically immediate friends with my agonizing for a year and a half.
I get a genuine satisfaction from the success of people here, so of course I want y'all to succeed at whatever you do. Good people deserve it.
The album is pretty slick—he added a lot of synth pads and triggered drum samples with the real drums, so they sound pretty fake. I wouldn't say we sound quite as synthy as PSB or OMD, but certainly way, way less organic than I was hoping. I was hoping he'd have more creative suggestions for the songs, but I kind of feel like he was just earning a paycheck here—a result of him producing remotely from another continent. Also, no ego here, but the rhythm section is pretty weak in the mix in order to make the vocals and guitars way louder, which I think is an injustice to the songs since it's the first time the band has had a bassist and most of the songs are built on the bassline. He spoke to the two singers more often than me so I think he had a subconscious (or not) preference for them in general
Given that his greatest success has been with dance-oriented acts, it's surprising that he's shortchange the rhythm section. Was he approached primarily for his name value or what he could bring to the final results?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 3:03pm
Kory wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 2:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I get a genuine satisfaction from the success of people here, so of course I want y'all to succeed at whatever you do. Good people deserve it.
The album is pretty slick—he added a lot of synth pads and triggered drum samples with the real drums, so they sound pretty fake. I wouldn't say we sound quite as synthy as PSB or OMD, but certainly way, way less organic than I was hoping. I was hoping he'd have more creative suggestions for the songs, but I kind of feel like he was just earning a paycheck here—a result of him producing remotely from another continent. Also, no ego here, but the rhythm section is pretty weak in the mix in order to make the vocals and guitars way louder, which I think is an injustice to the songs since it's the first time the band has had a bassist and most of the songs are built on the bassline. He spoke to the two singers more often than me so I think he had a subconscious (or not) preference for them in general
Given that his greatest success has been with dance-oriented acts, it's surprising that he's shortchange the rhythm section. Was he approached primarily for his name value or what he could bring to the final results?
Name value, totally. Which I thought was dumb since I don't think he's had a real hit since Kiss Them for Me, or at least any that would have appealed to the other two. I was surprised about his treatment of the rhythm section too, especially as he kept having Astra pass on messages about how much he liked what we were doing and he said he thought I was a better bassist than Joe Dart (which I found pretty disingenuous because it's objectively untrue).

I'll share the new music video here when it gets released so you can see what I mean (and also see one of the main catalysts for me leaving—they planned and shot the whole thing without me or the drummer, and it's fucking dumb as hell).

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 5:27pm
Name value, totally. Which I thought was dumb since I don't think he's had a real hit since Kiss Them for Me, or at least any that would have appealed to the other two. I was surprised about his treatment of the rhythm section too, especially as he kept having Astra pass on messages about how much he liked what we were doing and he said he thought I was a better bassist than Joe Dart (which I found pretty disingenuous because it's objectively untrue).
You misheard—you're better than Joe Dirt, which is all kinds of awful. But if your ex-band is targeting an 80s retro audience, it makes some superficial sense.
I'll share the new music video here when it gets released so you can see what I mean (and also see one of the main catalysts for me leaving—they planned and shot the whole thing without me or the drummer, and it's fucking dumb as hell).
All because you insisted on wearing the giant spiked codpiece?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 5:55pm
Kory wrote:
You misheard—you're better than Joe Dirt, which is all kinds of awful. But if your ex-band is targeting an 80s retro audience, it makes some superficial sense.
Yes, but I was NOT willing to compromise on that...point. ;)

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 6:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston's KISS hyping is fucking insidious.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 6:41pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Just like mono.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 7:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 6:41pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Just like mono.
Getting mono from KISS is the best-case scenario.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Well now two weeks later and after a pretty successful show, the two leaders are pleading with me to stay in the band, saying that things will be different. Now I'm gaslighting myself about walking away from an opportunity, but I have more evidence that things will NOT change if I stay on. People don't change.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 4:57pm
Well now two weeks later and after a pretty successful show, the two leaders are pleading with me to stay in the band, saying that things will be different. Now I'm gaslighting myself about walking away from an opportunity, but I have more evidence that things will NOT change if I stay on. People don't change.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 6:38pm
Kory wrote:
also "everybody lies" and "it's never Lupus."

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 7:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
But, seriously, if it takes a threat to leave, they don't really respect your concerns or else they would have addressed them earlier, in a non-desperation scenario.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 7:51pm
Kory wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 7:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
But, seriously, if it takes a threat to leave, they don't really respect your concerns or else they would have addressed them earlier, in a non-desperation scenario.
That's pretty much what I've been telling them. It’s almost hilarious her saying that things will be different now, since I pretty much decided to quit around that huge argument we had in April, after which they decided to go ahead and film a music video without me and Jeff. Like THAT WAS YOUR CHANCE. Why would I believe you that this time would be different? Just because you know you've finally pushed me out the door?