The Mighty Mighty Ska Thread

General music discussion.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Mighty Mighty Ska Thread

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
31 Oct 2023, 6:59pm
These guys from 1989 maybe a little late for what you are after. More rocksteady.

That was good, but a little late, as you said. I'm mostly looking for people that were contemporaries of the Specials. Like, was there a 2 Tone-influenced ska scene in Bristol that we don't know about or something?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
01 Nov 2023, 1:53pm
Marky Dread wrote:
These guys from 1989 maybe a little late for what you are after. More rocksteady.

That was good, but a little late, as you said. I'm mostly looking for people that were contemporaries of the Specials. Like, was there a 2 Tone-influenced ska scene in Bristol that we don't know about or something?
Not that I'm aware of mate. Lots of towns/cities would've had small unsigned bands that would play live but never made a record. The UK 70s ska thing only a real short period as bands like Madness went pop The Specials changed their sound by the second album. The Beat retained their ska/reggae feel but also added a pop element. Fashion and music trends changed incredibly quickly from the late 70s early 80s. Only the bands that went pop continued to have hits.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Nov 2023, 2:28pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Not that I'm aware of mate. Lots of towns/cities would've had small unsigned bands that would play live but never made a record. The UK 70s ska thing only a real short period as bands like Madness went pop The Specials changed their sound by the second album. The Beat retained their ska/reggae feel but also added a pop element. Fashion and music trends changed incredibly quickly from the late 70s early 80s. Only the bands that went pop continued to have hits.
Oh well. At least I found the Higsons on this journey. No real ska to speak of but they came up a couple times in searches and are kind of interesting.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
01 Nov 2023, 6:15pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Oh well. At least I found the Higsons on this journey. No real ska to speak of but they came up a couple times in searches and are kind of interesting.
I saw The Higsons a couple of times live they were excellent. Charlie Higson became a comedy writer for people like Harry Enfield and did The Fast Show.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

The Higsons were more a hybrid of new wave/R&B/punk (only for the speed). Their one of my "wish I had seen them" bands.

A great show would have the Higsons opening for James Chance.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Always liked the guys. Their debut single from 1987.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2023, 6:30am

Very cool, I like it!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
02 Nov 2023, 6:47pm
Marky Dread wrote:

Very cool, I like it!
Another band I saw live early on around 1988 I think. Great sound and energy. The first album is a fave for that 3rd wave of ska.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2023, 7:29pm
Kory wrote:
02 Nov 2023, 6:47pm
Marky Dread wrote:

Very cool, I like it!
Another band I saw live early on around 1988 I think. Great sound and energy. The first album is a fave for that 3rd wave of ska.
Hello,

Agreed. These guys are really good. I've got two albums and both are really solid.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Hey, it's the Cherry Poppin' Daddies covering Sound System:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 3:02pm
Hey, it's the Cherry Poppin' Daddies covering Sound System:
Not unpleasant, but the singer sounds like he's having some trouble swinging the vocal phrasing at the tempo they're going.

FarawayTowns
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by FarawayTowns »

Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Late reply I've only just seen this. What Marky says is 100% correct.
I can vouch for Bristol and it definitely didn't have many 2 Tone influenced bands and if they existed they didn't record anything. The main ska sounding band n Bristol at the time were the Rimshots

For comprehensive details of the Bristol music scene of the era this is an excellent website. Coincidentally the owner of the label was lead singer in the Rimshots http://www.bristolarchiverecords.com/

This compilation that may als be of interest although covering a wider era than Two Tone
https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/sta ... -1989-3cd/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Here's a long-ish piece about No Doubt's original front man, who committed suicide at the age of 18: https://www.spin.com/2024/02/john-spenc ... bt-legacy/
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 9:55am
Here's a long-ish piece about No Doubt's original front man, who committed suicide at the age of 18: https://www.spin.com/2024/02/john-spenc ... bt-legacy/
Yeah I just read this, pretty interesting and tragic. I really knew/know nothing about the band other than Gwen Stefani being the singer etc.