The Mighty Mighty Ska Thread

General music discussion.
JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: The Mighty Mighty Ska Thread

Post by JohnS »

Heston wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 5:23pm
A little bit of Selecter from my ITV stash for anyone interested. Interview and four songs, Pauline is great...

Great stuff Heston - I hope there's more to come from your stash.
Interesting to see that in the 2 years since that Clash appearance, Alright Now had morphed into a much bigger show - larger studio and audience. It's a bit like an episode of The Tube, which was another 2 years down the line (another Malcolm Gerrie project, right?)
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

JohnS wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 4:00am
Heston wrote:
A little bit of Selecter from my ITV stash for anyone interested. Interview and four songs, Pauline is great...

Interesting to see that in the 2 years since that Clash appearance, Alright Now had morphed into a much bigger show - larger studio and audience. It's a bit like an episode of The Tube, which was another 2 years down the line (another Malcolm Gerrie project, right?)
Yes, definitely a dry run for the Tube. Alright Now was only shown regionally though, which is why I'm trying to get this stuff out there. I'm half expecting some of the videos to be removed at some point due to copyright issues but until then I will be adding more.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

muppet hi fi wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 8:39pm
Heston wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 8:29pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 8:25pm
Heston wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 8:19pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 8:08pm
(btw - got "not available in your country" thingy for "Rudi's In Love", looked it up, said 'live BBC 1968'. Same version that you posted, yeah?)
No mate, different version. The one you mention sounds well lacking in the groove dept.
Gotcha. I'll dig a bit further, see if I can find it (was it on an album or just a single?).
Single. I thought they were black for about 25 years until I saw a picture of them a couple of years back..
Funny when that happens. When I was coming up, with '70s radio, I often couldn't tell either and was always surprised, both ways. (might be a fun thread topic?).
I originally thought Tony Joe White was black.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Olaf wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 8:16am
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:

No mate, different version. The one you mention sounds well lacking in the groove dept.
Gotcha. I'll dig a bit further, see if I can find it (was it on an album or just a single?).
Single. I thought they were black for about 25 years until I saw a picture of them a couple of years back..
Funny when that happens. When I was coming up, with '70s radio, I often couldn't tell either and was always surprised, both ways. (might be a fun thread topic?).
Cilla Black and Jet Black are white. :shifty:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Marky Dread wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 9:07am
Olaf wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

And Barry White is black. There was never a doubt about Vince White though.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Olaf wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 9:35am
Marky Dread wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 9:07am
Olaf wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:

And Barry White is black. There was never a doubt about Vince White though.
:lol:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Olaf wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:

I can see that.

Also: underrated in the mainstream. Super great swamp rocker.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 4:35am
JohnS wrote:
Heston wrote:

Yes, definitely a dry run for the Tube. Alright Now was only shown regionally though, which is why I'm trying to get this stuff out there. I'm half expecting some of the videos to be removed at some point due to copyright issues but until then I will be adding more.
I'll have to rip them quickly then.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
JohnS wrote:
Heston wrote:

Yeah I don’t remember Alright Now back in the day what regions was it. I watched Revolver (with Peter Cook) and of course the Tube.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 4:15pm
Heston wrote:
JohnS wrote:
Heston wrote:

Yeah I don’t remember Alright Now back in the day what regions was it. I watched Revolver (with Peter Cook) and of course the Tube.
Tyne Tees only I think. Makes up for us not getting Tiswas until the last series.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 4:29pm
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
JohnS wrote:
Heston wrote:

Tyne Tees only I think. Makes up for us not getting Tiswas until the last series.
😳 really no Tiswas!!
I think we got 2 ITV channels Thames? and maybe Southern or was there a Midlands one?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 7:43pm
Heston wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 4:29pm
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
JohnS wrote:

😳 really no Tiswas!!
I think we got 2 ITV channels Thames? and maybe Southern or was there a Midlands one?
Although Alright Now was a Tyne Tees production I'm sure it was shown later on some of the other ITV stations. I eventually got a VHS tape of the Clash appearance from a record fair in about 1980. But I had already seen on tv.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »