The Mighty Mighty Ska Thread

General music discussion.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: The Mighty Mighty Ska Thread

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
10 Aug 2023, 2:26pm
My main beef with them is just that they seem to be running out of ideas. All the jokes are the same joke.
I was thinking about that this morning. Unlike the onion (which has also long jumped the shark by now), which at least has constant fresh content because it's a news parody, I think the hard times is gonna run of steam sooner rather than later. The POV is basically mid-to-elder millennial American punks. Everything before about 1994 is basically treated as pre-history and most of the musical scene skewering is very 1997-2010ish in sensibility and timeframe. Which is fine, I mean that's exactly my wheelhouse because I'm exactly the demographic. But even musical scene trends aren't like the news where there's something new popping up every day to riff on. It can takes months and years for some new scene trend to percolate long enough and reach enough broad awareness where a joke about it will even land. So there's a lot of joke recycling that happens. And I'm fine with that, basically, so far but I can't imagine the hard times will have the staying power of the onion when all is said and done. At some point I'll either have read the same ska sucks joke for the millionth time and be done with it or they'll be joking about shit that is totally incomprehensible to me.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

modskint
Dirty Punk

Post by modskint »

Bosstones banned me from their IG after I called them out for promoting the upcoming Interrupters tour. Been a fan for 30 years and I never thought it would end with them backing a group whose singer has appeared on InfoWars at least twice (not to mention how awful their records are.)

Flex

Post by Flex »

modskint wrote:
15 Aug 2023, 5:21pm
Bosstones banned me from their IG after I called them out for promoting the upcoming Interrupters tour. Been a fan for 30 years and I never thought it would end with them backing a group whose singer has appeared on InfoWars at least twice (not to mention how awful their records are.)
Well, if it makes you feel any better the bosstones social stuff is all Dicky. The other band members mostly won't have anything to do with him anymore.

Pex Lives!

modskint
Dirty Punk

Post by modskint »

Flex wrote:
15 Aug 2023, 5:39pm
modskint wrote:
Well, if it makes you feel any better the bosstones social stuff is all Dicky. The other band members mostly won't have anything to do with him anymore.
I wish I had known it was him. He and I go way back and had some laughs over the past three decades. I took him to get tattooed in Mobile, AL years ago. Dude saw me grow up from my first Bosstones gig (1993/4) through to the end. It’s so fucked what this bullshit Qanon, MAGA shit has done to some people.

Also. I FUCKING KNEW GITTLEMAN WASN’T IN ON THIS GARBAGE. Good on ya, Joe.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

modskint wrote:
I thought everyone here liked the Interrupters, am I thinking of a different band that starts with I?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex

Post by Flex »

modskint wrote:
15 Aug 2023, 6:05pm
Also. I FUCKING KNEW GITTLEMAN WASN’T IN ON THIS GARBAGE. Good on ya, Joe.
Yeah, there's a post-breakup interview with Joe out there (he's promoting his new split on Bad Times Records. It's real good!) and he's, of course, his extremely sweet and diplomatic self but he makes it pretty clear that the band bent over backwards to accommodate dicky's nonsense and they had to draw a line once he wanted to become a public advocate for his shit.

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
15 Aug 2023, 6:08pm
modskint wrote:
I thought everyone here liked the Interrupters, am I thinking of a different band that starts with I?
They're popular, here and in general. Aimee and the Tim Timebomb Corporate Machine have done a lot of work to hide her hard right background. I used to be a lot more accomodating about it - my theory was/usually is if you keep your super shitty ideas to yourself, I don't know how much I care about them - but the Dicky stuff, and Aimee making a big show of supporting him after the bosstones breakup, has had me reassessing a lot of that. Doesn't help that each record they make is a slightly worse carbon copy of the last.

I've seen em a few times on different bills over the years and have gone from "that was a great!" to deciding last time I saw them that I never needed to see them again.

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
15 Aug 2023, 6:15pm
Kory wrote:
15 Aug 2023, 6:08pm
modskint wrote:
They're popular, here and in general. Aimee and the Tim Timebomb Corporate Machine have done a lot of work to hide her hard right background. I used to be a lot more accomodating about it - my theory was/usually is if you keep your super shitty ideas to yourself, I don't know how much I care about them - but the Dicky stuff, and Aimee making a big show of supporting him after the bosstones breakup, has had me reassessing a lot of that. Doesn't help that each record they make is a slightly worse carbon copy of the last.

I've seen em a few times on different bills over the years and have gone from "that was a great!" to deciding last time I saw them that I never needed to see them again.
Ah, OK. I thought I remembered somebody posting it in maybe the Packet of Fives thread early on and it getting a lot of praise, but I wasn't positive about the band name.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

This should have been a huge hit in another universe. Infectious joy. I think it was GK Bill who put me onto this...

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Heston wrote:
15 Aug 2023, 6:26pm
This should have been a huge hit in another universe. Infectious joy. I think it was GK Bill who put me onto this...

Hello,

It's really good stuff! You're welcome.

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

The newish ska band Bite Me Bambi (with former members of Save Ferris) put out this cover of Police & Thieves recently.

Here's one of their originals

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I got a bug in me to see if the Bodysnatchers ever released anything besides the two singles we all know and found that they did two Peel Sessions. I was able to find them on Soulseek but they sound pretty rough (and are missing two tracks: Mixed Feelings; The Loser). Any chance anyone has decent versions of these with or without the two missing tunes? I was going to put this in one of the 2 music forums but I'm not sure how much people look at those.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Kory wrote:
27 Sep 2023, 2:52pm
I got a bug in me to see if the Bodysnatchers ever released anything besides the two singles we all know and found that they did two Peel Sessions. I was able to find them on Soulseek but they sound pretty rough (and are missing two tracks: Mixed Feelings; The Loser). Any chance anyone has decent versions of these with or without the two missing tunes? I was going to put this in one of the 2 music forums but I'm not sure how much people look at those.
Hello,

I'd be interested in hearing these - more Bodysnatchers, more better.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

gkbill wrote:
27 Sep 2023, 5:06pm
Kory wrote:
27 Sep 2023, 2:52pm
Hello,

I'd be interested in hearing these - more Bodysnatchers, more better.
Check thine PMs