"Classic" 90's songs you can't stand!!!

General music discussion.
101Walterton
The Best

Re: "Classic" 90's songs you can't stand!!!

Post by 101Walterton »

matedog wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 4:06pm
101Walterton wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 2:43pm
matedog wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 2:30pm
101Walterton wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 2:16pm
matedog wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 10:47am

It's very interesting to see the US vs UK perspective. For me, Oasis had a couple songs I heard a bit on the radio in the mid-90's - Live Forever, Wonderwall, Champagne, Don't Look Back. But they were never huge here. Consequently, I think they were a fine little band with a handful of perfectly good songs I didn't mind hearing on the radio on occasion.
Why do you say “fine little band” can’t you just say fine band without adding the dismissive ‘little’?
What’s The Story alone has sold over 20 million copies and is one of the best selling albums of all time (4th in UK history).
Because that's how they seemed at the time. They had a couple minor hits, that's all, and then went away after a year or so. They had that All Around the World song I remember seeing the video a couple times after and then they were gone for good. Wonderwall made it to 8 on the charts and Don't Look Back to 55 and that's all they ever did in the states. To me, they were about as big as Alice in Chains or 311 (though those are weird comparisons).

I have no idea how the album sales rank in the US because I can't find a list that goes beyond the top 100 or so. The disparity is dramatic.
Fair enough just sounds like an odd description.
What’s the Story got to #4 on the US album charts.
https://www.billboard.com/charts/billbo ... 1996-02-24
They were just ahead of Bush and President of the United States of America. All three bands seemed similarly popular at the time.
Yeah I get it I just disagree that one of the best selling bands in the world isn’t a ‘little band’ because they weren’t as big in the US as elsewhere.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 4:24pm
Yeah I get it I just disagree that one of the best selling bands in the world isn’t a ‘little band’ because they weren’t as big in the US as elsewhere.
Ever since rock n roll began, it's been a firm rule that a band isn't really big until they break in America. The Beatles and the Stones certainly understood this. It's not a rule rooted in numbers but in reputation. The Gallaghers may have enough money for round-the-clock gardeners to take care of their eyebrows, but because Oasis never truly broke thru in America, they aren't big.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 4:05pm
Silent Majority wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 4:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 3:55pm
Here's the thing: Apart from the early 80s, when MTV was responsible for a second British Invasion, for the most part UK acts haven't made much of an impact on the North American mainstream music scene (emphasis on mainstream; indie and dance and other subfields, sure). And for the most part, American bands haven't had much of an impact on the UK charts. Cross-pollination is just a rare bird.
The UK charts are absolutely dominated by North American acts.
Really? Is this a recent development? I recall reading as recently as five years ago the segregation by nationality on both sides of the Atlantic.
I’m surprised. I travel a bit and always listen to the radio and visit record shops but it seems to me the world is all listening to the same thing and the same few artistes (commercial charts etc) Ed Sheehan, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Beyoncé, Pink, *insert latest Boy band* etc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 4:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 4:05pm
Silent Majority wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 4:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 3:55pm
Here's the thing: Apart from the early 80s, when MTV was responsible for a second British Invasion, for the most part UK acts haven't made much of an impact on the North American mainstream music scene (emphasis on mainstream; indie and dance and other subfields, sure). And for the most part, American bands haven't had much of an impact on the UK charts. Cross-pollination is just a rare bird.
The UK charts are absolutely dominated by North American acts.
Really? Is this a recent development? I recall reading as recently as five years ago the segregation by nationality on both sides of the Atlantic.
I’m surprised. I travel a bit and always listen to the radio and visit record shops but it seems to me the world is all listening to the same thing and the same few artistes (commercial charts etc) Ed Sheehan, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Beyoncé, Pink, *insert latest Boy band* etc
America is for Americans. Which might be for the best.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

101Walterton wrote:
matedog wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 4:06pm
101Walterton wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 2:43pm
matedog wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 2:30pm
101Walterton wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 2:16pm

Why do you say “fine little band” can’t you just say fine band without adding the dismissive ‘little’?
What’s The Story alone has sold over 20 million copies and is one of the best selling albums of all time (4th in UK history).
Because that's how they seemed at the time. They had a couple minor hits, that's all, and then went away after a year or so. They had that All Around the World song I remember seeing the video a couple times after and then they were gone for good. Wonderwall made it to 8 on the charts and Don't Look Back to 55 and that's all they ever did in the states. To me, they were about as big as Alice in Chains or 311 (though those are weird comparisons).

I have no idea how the album sales rank in the US because I can't find a list that goes beyond the top 100 or so. The disparity is dramatic.
Fair enough just sounds like an odd description.
What’s the Story got to #4 on the US album charts.
https://www.billboard.com/charts/billbo ... 1996-02-24
They were just ahead of Bush and President of the United States of America. All three bands seemed similarly popular at the time.
I understand. I was trying to make it clear with my wording that it was purely my "perspective" and which was quite limited at the time to MTV and Washington DC rock radio stations.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 4:36pm
101Walterton wrote:
Ever since rock n roll began, it's been a firm rule that a band isn't really big until they break in America. The Beatles and the Stones certainly understood this. It's not a rule rooted in numbers but in reputation. The Gallaghers may have enough money for round-the-clock gardeners to take care of their eyebrows, but because Oasis never truly broke thru in America, they aren't big.
Yep if only Oasis had sounded just a little more like The Beatles they may have been in with a shout.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I think it’s obvious the real takeaway here is that only America matters and we only value the UK if they make music good enough for us to care. :shifty:
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 6:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 4:36pm
101Walterton wrote:
Yep if only Oasis had sounded just a little more like The Beatles they may have been in with a shout.
Ha! Ironies of ironies!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 6:31pm
I think it’s obvious the real takeaway here is that only America matters and we only value the UK if they make music good enough for us to care. :shifty:
Don't abuse Mr. Shifty. He was not needed to suffix your statement. :naughty:

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 6:39pm
Wolter wrote:
I submit that if I didn’t at least one subject of the queen would’ve responded with an indignant paragraph devoid of punctuation.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 6:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
I submit that if I didn’t at least one subject of the queen would’ve responded with an indignant paragraph devoid of punctuation.
Unless they accompany it with a cool song, we on the proper side of the Atlantic are under no obligation to pay attention.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Wolter wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 6:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Hello,

A proper paragraph consists of more than one sentence. I'm adding this sentence to make mine a proper paragraph.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Wolter wrote:
Im sure there are others (in the 90s) that put out good music but Citizen Fish is the only one coming to mind right now. But again nothing that would be classified as "classic".