Re: WWK's Record Store Finds

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
29 Apr 2020, 5:35pm
revbob wrote:
29 Apr 2020, 4:42pm
WestwayKid wrote:
29 Apr 2020, 3:57pm
My cousin passed away unexpectedly 3 years ago today. He was the guy who first got me into most of the music that shaped my life (including the Clash). His daughter (and my goddaughter) is going through a lot of his stuff and invited me over today to go through his LP collection and pull whatever I wanted. Here are some of the highlights:

A359495E-63CF-4D43-B70E-A63450D4EF77.jpeg

I also now have 4 copies of Bollocks on LP, though this is the first Virgin pressing I've ever had. 4 Clash albums in the haul: US version of self titled, London Calling, Combat Rock, and CtC. Every PiL release from First Issue through Album (including both live albums).

It feels really special to have these in my collection.
This is so nice. I wont lie, it brings a tear to my eye. Sorry about your cousin.
It was a nice surprise. She just got furloughed this week so one of her projects is to start going through his stuff. It was actually just chance that I went over on the anniversary of his death (she first asked me yesterday, but I had the kids and it would have been tough).

One of the most important things I picked up was his collection of Smiths vinyl. I remember when he dubbed those for me back in 1990 when I was 13.
I would have been a mess.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

WestwayKid wrote:
29 Apr 2020, 5:37pm
101Walterton wrote:
29 Apr 2020, 4:46pm
WestwayKid wrote:
My cousin passed away unexpectedly 3 years ago today. He was the guy who first got me into most of the music that shaped my life (including the Clash). His daughter (and my goddaughter) is going through a lot of his stuff and invited me over today to go through his LP collection and pull whatever I wanted. Here are some of the highlights:

I also now have 4 copies of Bollocks on LP, though this is the first Virgin pressing I've ever had. 4 Clash albums in the haul: US version of self titled, London Calling, Combat Rock, and CtC. Every PiL release from First Issue through Album (including both live albums).

Sorry about the circumstances mate but great collection, sure you didn’t just burgle my house?
He did have a good collection. Growing up in the 70's, he went went from traditional middle American arena rock to punk seemingly overnight (hearing the Pistols did it for him). You can see the change in his collection: Led Zep and Pink Floyd and then Pistols, Buzzcocks, Jam.

He also took exceptional care of his vinyl...so most are in near mint condition.
It is great that most can be kept together as a collection knowing how carefully someone has put it together and taken care of it over the years. I hate seeing collections broken up.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

101Walterton wrote:
29 Apr 2020, 5:44pm
WestwayKid wrote:
29 Apr 2020, 5:37pm
101Walterton wrote:
29 Apr 2020, 4:46pm
WestwayKid wrote:

Sorry about the circumstances mate but great collection, sure you didn’t just burgle my house?
He did have a good collection. Growing up in the 70's, he went went from traditional middle American arena rock to punk seemingly overnight (hearing the Pistols did it for him). You can see the change in his collection: Led Zep and Pink Floyd and then Pistols, Buzzcocks, Jam.

He also took exceptional care of his vinyl...so most are in near mint condition.
It is great that most can be kept together as a collection knowing how carefully someone has put it together and taken care of it over the years. I hate seeing collections broken up.
Me too. One of his high school buddies is also a big music geek, so I made sure to leave some really good stuff for him. I'll probably have another look before she sells the rest off. I had my hands on a copy of Skylarking, but set it aside and then forgot to pick it back up.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

That's amazing, WWK. So sorry about your cousin.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

First visit to the local used record shop since they reopened and I pulled this absolute gem from the $2 bin!

A power pop classic...and it’s in mint condition!!
9C56F580-5F7E-4886-BCDC-0DEE1A626585.jpeg

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 7:15pm
First visit to the local used record shop since they reopened and I pulled this absolute gem from the $2 bin!

A power pop classic...and it’s in mint condition!!

9C56F580-5F7E-4886-BCDC-0DEE1A626585.jpeg
Nice find for the money mate.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I spent the weekend in Ann Arbor, Michigan and got to check out 2 of their 3 records shops. The third was closed due to the pandemic.

First up was Encore Records. They had a nice selection of used vinyl, but it was curated. I don’t mind that, but I like having the $2 bins to dive into. Nothing like pulling out a real treasure.

I ended up grabbing 4 albums from Encore: the debut Chic album, Bete Noire by Bryan Ferry, Notorious by Duran Duran, and Talk Show by the Go Go’s. They each ran me around $7 which felt a little pricey, but they’re in great shape.

Older guy working the counter was very nice. He chatted with me about Roxy Music. I like record store guys who know their shit, but don’t look down on my purchases.

Next up was Underground Sounds. This is a really small shop and their bread and butter appears to be selling new vinyl and that’s not what I’m after. They did have a decent selection of used LPs. I went home with a $4 copy of Celebrate the Bullet by The Selector.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

WestwayKid wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 12:24am
I spent the weekend in Ann Arbor, Michigan and got to check out 2 of their 3 records shops. The third was closed due to the pandemic.

First up was Encore Records. They had a nice selection of used vinyl, but it was curated. I don’t mind that, but I like having the $2 bins to dive into. Nothing like pulling out a real treasure.

I ended up grabbing 4 albums from Encore: the debut Chic album, Bete Noire by Bryan Ferry, Notorious by Duran Duran, and Talk Show by the Go Go’s. They each ran me around $7 which felt a little pricey, but they’re in great shape.

Older guy working the counter was very nice. He chatted with me about Roxy Music. I like record store guys who know their shit, but don’t look down on my purchases.

Next up was Underground Sounds. This is a really small shop and their bread and butter appears to be selling new vinyl and that’s not what I’m after. They did have a decent selection of used LPs. I went home with a $4 copy of Celebrate the Bullet by The Selector.
Good work sounds like my perfect day 👍