WWK's Record Store Finds

General music discussion.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: WWK's Record Store Finds

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 7:37pm
Those first couple/few Kristofferson records are good as hell. Great songwriter, good singer.
Team Kris.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 5:21pm
Marky Dread wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 5:17pm
101Walterton wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 5:13pm
Keep coming across this one, tempted to buy it just for the cover alone!
Laxman sent me that earlier in the year. It's great and well worth getting mate. I had most of the tracks on various comps etc. But that's a very cool release.
So they are the actually live recording from the Palais show? What is sound quality like?
No mate all the previous released studio tracks. Sound is great.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 5:29pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Laxman sent me that earlier in the year. It's great and well worth getting mate. I had most of the tracks on various comps etc. But that's a very cool release.
So they are the actually live recording from the Palais show? What is sound quality like?
This description not very accurate then 🙄
Attachments
E3F13288-323E-4F32-BBF8-D3A003E53505.png

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 8:39pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
No it isn't the actual gig. That was description is poor.

Nice compilation of cuts from Delroy Wilson, Leroy Smart, Dillinger and Ken Boothe. "Midnight to Six Man...For the First Time From Jamaica....Dillinger and Leroy Smart...An’ Delroy Wilson Your Cool Operator” - White Man In Hammersmith Palais - The Clash. The legendary gig that Joe Strummer, singer from the Punk Rock band The Clash attended and inspired his writing their classic White Man In Hammersmith Palais took place on the 05th June 1977. At the Hammersmith Palais venue on Shepherd’s Bush Road W6, London during the height of Punk Mania. The full line up for the show were all Jamaican artists Dillinger, Leroy Smart, Delroy Wilson (all the first time from Jamaica) and Ken Boothe. “Ken Boothe for UK pop reggae” who had already scored some hits with Everything I Own and Crying Over You in 1974. Joe Strummer was expecting Roots, Rock, Reggae but the Sound System this evening ‘Admiral Ken Sound’ was playing ‘Four Tops all night’ as in soul and northern soul that were staple crowd pleasers at the time to warm up the audience, but in Joe’s eyes the music should have reflected more Jamaican roots based music. The song also deals with bigger issues of black and white unity, but some people including the Punk Rockers. “They’re all too busy fighting, for a good place under the lighting”. Joe Strummer himself was looking for fun. “I’m the Whiteman in the Palais....Just Looking for Fun” .The artwork supplied by Punk Artist Mal One has used the two posters that were made for this gig, the reggae promoters ‘Star Promotions’ poster, that contained a picture of Ken Boothe and the venue’s own poster that used text to announce it’s line up for that evenings performance. Alongside these lost relics he has also combined the groups own poster for the White Man In Hammersmith Palais single that incorporated the use of rifle target sights, perhaps enhancing the air of violence contained in the songs message. Mal One has collaged these together joining the two stories as indeed the song lyrics reflected. People often forget that the songs release was in fact as year after the actual gig, Kingston Sounds have tied this release to the 40th anniversary of the song’s release. Joe Strummer was one of the few voices from the Punk Era that used his lyrics as a weapon to tell the events that were happening around him and their relevance to those times. The song itself a Clash Classic and also a Punk Anthem, released on the 16th June 1978. Kingston Sounds have compiled this album with songs by these artists, most of which you would have heard that night.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Nov 2019, 5:45am
101Walterton wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 8:39pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

No it isn't the actual gig. That was description is poor.

Nice compilation of cuts from Delroy Wilson, Leroy Smart, Dillinger and Ken Boothe. "Midnight to Six Man...For the First Time From Jamaica....Dillinger and Leroy Smart...An’ Delroy Wilson Your Cool Operator” - White Man In Hammersmith Palais - The Clash. The legendary gig that Joe Strummer, singer from the Punk Rock band The Clash attended and inspired his writing their classic White Man In Hammersmith Palais took place on the 05th June 1977. At the Hammersmith Palais venue on Shepherd’s Bush Road W6, London during the height of Punk Mania. The full line up for the show were all Jamaican artists Dillinger, Leroy Smart, Delroy Wilson (all the first time from Jamaica) and Ken Boothe. “Ken Boothe for UK pop reggae” who had already scored some hits with Everything I Own and Crying Over You in 1974. Joe Strummer was expecting Roots, Rock, Reggae but the Sound System this evening ‘Admiral Ken Sound’ was playing ‘Four Tops all night’ as in soul and northern soul that were staple crowd pleasers at the time to warm up the audience, but in Joe’s eyes the music should have reflected more Jamaican roots based music. The song also deals with bigger issues of black and white unity, but some people including the Punk Rockers. “They’re all too busy fighting, for a good place under the lighting”. Joe Strummer himself was looking for fun. “I’m the Whiteman in the Palais....Just Looking for Fun” .The artwork supplied by Punk Artist Mal One has used the two posters that were made for this gig, the reggae promoters ‘Star Promotions’ poster, that contained a picture of Ken Boothe and the venue’s own poster that used text to announce it’s line up for that evenings performance. Alongside these lost relics he has also combined the groups own poster for the White Man In Hammersmith Palais single that incorporated the use of rifle target sights, perhaps enhancing the air of violence contained in the songs message. Mal One has collaged these together joining the two stories as indeed the song lyrics reflected. People often forget that the songs release was in fact as year after the actual gig, Kingston Sounds have tied this release to the 40th anniversary of the song’s release. Joe Strummer was one of the few voices from the Punk Era that used his lyrics as a weapon to tell the events that were happening around him and their relevance to those times. The song itself a Clash Classic and also a Punk Anthem, released on the 16th June 1978. Kingston Sounds have compiled this album with songs by these artists, most of which you would have heard that night.
Cheers Marky I think I will pick up a copy when I am in there next. Plus have sword with them about their false advertising!!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Wolter wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 5:20pm
101Walterton wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 3:42pm
oliver wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 10:02am
WestwayKid wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 1:02pm
Their used vinyl was very curated and I prefer bins and bins of records that you need to weed through.
I like the idea of bins and bins because there's always the chance of a hidden gem they don't know they've got but in reality I get overwhelmed very quickly especially when they're tightly packed.

The most unexpected cornucopia of gold was a place in Carrollton, GA called Vinyl Frontier. Could have spent a fortune there and also found tons of things I already own that I never thought I'd find in Carrollton, GA.
The best is when you see a few boxes in the corner and he says “I got those yesterday I haven’t gone through them yet”.
I got a 7-8 punk/ska LPs (including the Specials, Ramones, and a few others) at the goodwill for 20 cents each from a bin they had just set out in the mid-90s.
I used to get really lucky at Half Price Books. Their records used to be priced crazy low. I once walked out with an original pressing of Never Mind the Bollocks for about 5 bucks. They have since gotten a bit smarter and have started to price records much higher.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

I picked up a few records I'd been hunting for when I was in Mass a few months ago 😎:
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2019-08-10 at 7.18.46 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-08-10 at 7.19.24 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-08-10 at 7.19.55 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-08-10 at 7.18.32 PM.jpeg

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

That Dwight Twilley LP is excellent! Cool finds.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

My cousin passed away unexpectedly 3 years ago today. He was the guy who first got me into most of the music that shaped my life (including the Clash). His daughter (and my goddaughter) is going through a lot of his stuff and invited me over today to go through his LP collection and pull whatever I wanted. Here are some of the highlights:
A359495E-63CF-4D43-B70E-A63450D4EF77.jpeg
I also now have 4 copies of Bollocks on LP, though this is the first Virgin pressing I've ever had. 4 Clash albums in the haul: US version of self titled, London Calling, Combat Rock, and CtC. Every PiL release from First Issue through Album (including both live albums).

It feels really special to have these in my collection.
Last edited by WestwayKid on 29 Apr 2020, 4:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I even grabbed a copy of this gem:
7EE8C574-9C1C-4A23-8E18-19172361AB57.jpeg

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
29 Apr 2020, 3:59pm
I even grabbed a copy of this gem:

7EE8C574-9C1C-4A23-8E18-19172361AB57.jpeg
The first Clash record is, indeed, a gem. :approve:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
29 Apr 2020, 3:57pm
My cousin passed away unexpectedly 3 years ago today. He was the guy who first got me into most of the music that shaped my life (including the Clash). His daughter (and my goddaughter) is going through a lot of his stuff and invited me over today to go through his LP collection and pull whatever I wanted. Here are some of the highlights:

I also now have 4 copies of Bollocks on LP, though this is the first Virgin pressing I've ever had. 4 Clash albums in the haul: US version of self titled, London Calling, Combat Rock, and CtC. Every PiL release from First Issue through Album (including both live albums).

This is so nice. I wont lie, it brings a tear to my eye. Sorry about your cousin.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

WestwayKid wrote:

Sorry about the circumstances mate but great collection, sure you didn’t just burgle my house?

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

revbob wrote:
29 Apr 2020, 4:42pm
WestwayKid wrote:

This is so nice. I wont lie, it brings a tear to my eye. Sorry about your cousin.
It was a nice surprise. She just got furloughed this week so one of her projects is to start going through his stuff. It was actually just chance that I went over on the anniversary of his death (she first asked me yesterday, but I had the kids and it would have been tough).

One of the most important things I picked up was his collection of Smiths vinyl. I remember when he dubbed those for me back in 1990 when I was 13.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

101Walterton wrote:
29 Apr 2020, 4:46pm
WestwayKid wrote:

Sorry about the circumstances mate but great collection, sure you didn’t just burgle my house?
He did have a good collection. Growing up in the 70's, he went went from traditional middle American arena rock to punk seemingly overnight (hearing the Pistols did it for him). You can see the change in his collection: Led Zep and Pink Floyd and then Pistols, Buzzcocks, Jam.

He also took exceptional care of his vinyl...so most are in near mint condition.