WWK's Record Store Finds

General music discussion.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

WWK's Record Store Finds

Post by WestwayKid »

I LOVE browsing through dusty old bins of records. I frequent the used record shops around town and whenever we take a trip - I make sure we always stop at a record shop or two. I don't always buy something. I also generally don't go in looking for anything in particular. I like to browse, hoping that something will catch my eye.

I visited Laurie's Planet of Sound in the Lincoln Square neighborhood of Chicago this past Sunday. It had a very typical used record store vibe. In fact, it almost too stereotypical. Their used vinyl was very curated and I prefer bins and bins of records that you need to weed through.

I did find a pair of cool records, however:
Kendricks.jpg
Kendricks.jpg (6.03 KiB) Viewed 4847 times
Eddie Kendricks - Self Titled - 1973 for $5.99: The third solo album from former Temptation Eddie Kendricks and one of Motown's lost classics. It's not as good overall as his first 2 solo LP's, but it's still rock solid. "Keep On Truckin'" is the clear highlight: an infectious 8-minute slab of soul. I've always wanted this on vinyl, but the few copies I'd come across had been pretty beaten up. This one is in excellent shape.
Kris.jpg
Kris.jpg (6.99 KiB) Viewed 4847 times
Kris Kristofferson - The Silver Tongued Devil and I - 1971 - $6.99: This is a nearly flawless record. Kristofferson had really found his voice by the time this album was released (it was his 2nd solo album). This LP contains the track "The Pilgrim, Chapter 33" which is famously referenced by Cybill Shepherd in Taxi Driver.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: WWK's Record Store Finds

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 1:02pm
I LOVE browsing through dusty old bins of records. I frequent the used record shops around town and whenever we take a trip - I make sure we always stop at a record shop or two. I don't always buy something. I also generally don't go in looking for anything in particular. I like to browse, hoping that something will catch my eye.

I visited Laurie's Planet of Sound in the Lincoln Square neighborhood of Chicago this past Sunday. It had a very typical used record store vibe. In fact, it almost too stereotypical. Their used vinyl was very curated and I prefer bins and bins of records that you need to weed through.

I did find a pair of cool records, however:

Kendricks.jpg

Eddie Kendricks - Self Titled - 1973 for $5.99: The third solo album from former Temptation Eddie Kendricks and one of Motown's lost classics. It's not as good overall as his first 2 solo LP's, but it's still rock solid. "Keep On Truckin'" is the clear highlight: an infectious 8-minute slab of soul. I've always wanted this on vinyl, but the few copies I'd come across had been pretty beaten up. This one is in excellent shape.

Kris.jpg

Kris Kristofferson - The Silver Tongued Devil and I - 1971 - $6.99: This is a nearly flawless record. Kristofferson had really found his voice by the time this album was released (it was his 2nd solo album). This LP contains the track "The Pilgrim, Chapter 33" which is famously referenced by Cybill Shepherd in Taxi Driver.
I dont own any Kristofferson music but every sing I hear of his is great. Very underrated songwriter.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Those first couple/few Kristofferson records are good as hell. Great songwriter, good singer.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 7:37pm
Those first couple/few Kristofferson records are good as hell. Great songwriter, good singer.
My parents had a copy of "Jesus Was a Capricorn" on the shelf when I was a kid. I played the heck out of that LP growing up.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

WWK I am like you I always look through any record wherever I go. I would say 9/10 I don’t buy anything but I do like looking as ‘you never know’.
It is amazing what an expert you can become at identifying the stuff you like from the type of artwork even if you haven’t seen it before.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

101Walterton wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 2:30am
WWK I am like you I always look through any record wherever I go. I would say 9/10 I don’t buy anything but I do like looking as ‘you never know’.
It is amazing what an expert you can become at identifying the stuff you like from the type of artwork even if you haven’t seen it before.
I'm probably around 7/10 that I don't buy anything. My expectation when I walk through the door is that I'm not going to buy anything unless I find something really interesting. Best record hunting experience I had this summer was a little place in Orillia, Ontario (https://www.alleycatsmusic.com/). It was the perfect combo of curated and non-curated. Plenty of crates to dig through. I walked out of there with about 8 LP's!

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

WestwayKid wrote:
Their used vinyl was very curated and I prefer bins and bins of records that you need to weed through.
I like the idea of bins and bins because there's always the chance of a hidden gem they don't know they've got but in reality I get overwhelmed very quickly especially when they're tightly packed.

The most unexpected cornucopia of gold was a place in Carrollton, GA called Vinyl Frontier. Could have spent a fortune there and also found tons of things I already own that I never thought I'd find in Carrollton, GA.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

oliver wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 10:02am
WestwayKid wrote:
Their used vinyl was very curated and I prefer bins and bins of records that you need to weed through.
I like the idea of bins and bins because there's always the chance of a hidden gem they don't know they've got but in reality I get overwhelmed very quickly especially when they're tightly packed.

The most unexpected cornucopia of gold was a place in Carrollton, GA called Vinyl Frontier. Could have spent a fortune there and also found tons of things I already own that I never thought I'd find in Carrollton, GA.
The best is when you see a few boxes in the corner and he says “I got those yesterday I haven’t gone through them yet”.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I only buy CDs these days mostly. But I reckon I visit a charity shop and find something worthwhile about 3 times a week.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Don't know if people still read blogs but this one is always enjoyable
https://left-and-to-the-back.blogspot.com/

"Left and to the Back" is a blog exploring the dark and dusty world of flop singles and albums, the kind you may find lingering near the stock room of your local second hand record store (if you still have one), or perhaps going for extortionate sums on ebay.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Interesting Oliver that first single on that blog by Kadettes produced by Simon Humphrey. Simon was the engineer on the first Clash album.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Keep coming across this one, tempted to buy it just for the cover alone!
Attachments
96898DA9-D6BF-456E-8247-933F0477A1E9.jpeg

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 5:13pm
Laxman sent me that earlier in the year. It's great and well worth getting mate. I had most of the tracks on various comps etc. But that's a very cool release.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

101Walterton wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 3:42pm
oliver wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 10:02am
WestwayKid wrote:

The best is when you see a few boxes in the corner and he says “I got those yesterday I haven’t gone through them yet”.
I got a 7-8 punk/ska LPs (including the Specials, Ramones, and a few others) at the goodwill for 20 cents each from a bin they had just set out in the mid-90s.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 5:17pm
101Walterton wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 5:13pm
Laxman sent me that earlier in the year. It's great and well worth getting mate. I had most of the tracks on various comps etc. But that's a very cool release.
So they are the actually live recording from the Palais show? What is sound quality like?