Taylor Swift appreciation thread

General music discussion.
Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Taylor Swift appreciation thread

Post by Mimi »

Totes kidding. Click bait for sure.

Anyway, something is bugging me about her song Lover.

It reminds me of an old song, or an older style, or something. It's like I heard this song before or style of song before. Does anyone else think this? Tori Amos or Fiona Apple is coming to mind. It's bugging me, y'all.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Taylor Swift appreciation thread

Post by revbob »

Mimi wrote:
26 Nov 2019, 9:12am

It reminds me of an old song, or an older style, or something. It's like I heard this song before or style of song before. Does anyone else think this? Tori Amos or Fiona Apple is coming to mind. It's bugging me, y'all.
Taylor Swift bugs me period.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Mimi wrote:

Kind of sounds like a tribute to Fade into You by Mazzy Star to me.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

oliver wrote:
26 Nov 2019, 9:55am
Mimi wrote:

Kind of sounds like a tribute to Fade into You by Mazzy Star to me.
Holy crap!! I never heard that song before but even a few seconds listening...wow.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

revbob wrote:
26 Nov 2019, 9:48am
Mimi wrote:

She bugs me as a person, but she has a talent for writing the hook.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
It was a near certainty that you and I would be in agreement on this point.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Plenty to not like about her, buuuuut she can write a hook as Mimi noted above. I also appreciated the fact that she came out in support of dem candidates in a fairly substantive way by endorsing D candidates in a midterm election. On brand would be her talking about how unfair things are for LGBTQ kids because a few of her dancers are gay or just that Trump doesn't empower women, so this was surprisingly substantive.

I think she's a lot less bad than we think she is/expect her to be.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Mimi wrote:

It reminds me a bit of Rihanna's great "Love On the Brain"

Probably mostly because they are both 6/8 and have a smokiness to them. Fade Into You is probably more accurate as others have noted.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Nov 2019, 10:21am
revbob wrote:
You complete me.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Nov 2019, 11:39am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Nov 2019, 10:21am
revbob wrote:
You complete me.
Statler & Walfdorf will always be around whenever the public needs a grumpy contrarian champion!
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

matedog wrote:
26 Nov 2019, 11:32am
Plenty to not like about her, buuuuut she can write a hook as Mimi noted above. I also appreciated the fact that she came out in support of dem candidates in a fairly substantive way by endorsing D candidates in a midterm election. On brand would be her talking about how unfair things are for LGBTQ kids because a few of her dancers are gay or just that Trump doesn't empower women, so this was surprisingly substantive.

Got to admit, I don't really know much about her other than she wins awards, sells lots of records and was in dispute with her label for selling her back catalogue (or something)

What is it that people find objectionable?
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

This is fantastic and I won't hear a bad word said against it or its brilliant middle 8.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

matedog wrote:
26 Nov 2019, 11:35am
Mimi wrote:

It reminds me a bit of Rihanna's great "Love On the Brain"

Probably mostly because they are both 6/8 and have a smokiness to them. Fade Into You is probably more accurate as others have noted.

There's another one.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:

But can she write a hook or is it the multitude of pro songwriters that she has worked with?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
26 Nov 2019, 1:06pm
matedog wrote:

But can she write a hook or is it the multitude of pro songwriters that she has worked with?
The song posted at the top is a solo credited composition, so yeah she can write a book.