27 Nov 2019, 5:41pm
Marky Dread wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 5:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 5:26pm
Marky Dread wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 5:17pm

That's exactly it for me.
Please see revbob for your Grouchy Old Man handbook; gkbill is our current antisocial director. We meet for a pint of bitter (of course) every Wednesday night.
If there's no pork scratchings I ain't coming.
Talk to gkbill—he's got full authority over that stuff.
Hello,

This Wednesday's session has been cancelled - just because.
I knew it I just bloody knew it. Those snacks were just a ruse!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Taylor Swift appreciation thread

Post by revbob »

muppet hi fi wrote:
28 Nov 2019, 3:38am
revbob wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 11:15pm
I also think that much of the pop music today is pretty disposable and made for passive listening.
woah! No shit? Dude, that's astute! ;)
Damn muppet.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I was being subjected to some Today Show yesterday morning and they had on some k pop boy band and they were utterly indistinguishable from the boy bands of the late 90s/early aughts except the gimmick is they're all asian. The missus even commented they had absolutely no accents (from an American perspective). Just unbelievably flat, bland boy band pop music that the crowd apparently loved. They're big, I guess? Anyways, just wretched stuff and undercuts the thesis that pop music is really any better now than it was a decade ago. I think a lot of the perception of pop being more interesting is due to the poptimist-thinkpiece industrial complex that tries to turn listening to corporate musical churn into a political act.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
30 Nov 2019, 10:20am
I was being subjected to some Today Show yesterday morning and they had on some k pop boy band and they were utterly indistinguishable from the boy bands of the late 90s/early aughts except the gimmick is they're all asian. The missus even commented they had absolutely no accents (from an American perspective). Just unbelievably flat, bland boy band pop music that the crowd apparently loved. They're big, I guess? Anyways, just wretched stuff and undercuts the thesis that pop music is really any better now than it was a decade ago. I think a lot of the perception of pop being more interesting is due to the poptimist-thinkpiece industrial complex that tries to turn listening to corporate musical churn into a political act.
Yeah. The whole K-Pop phenomenon feels absolutely hollow to me. I know I’m an Old and therefore not supposed to Get It, but this feels especially bad even by disposable pop standards.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Wolter wrote:
30 Nov 2019, 10:31am
Flex wrote:
Yeah. The whole K-Pop phenomenon feels absolutely hollow to me. I know I’m an Old and therefore not supposed to Get It, but this feels especially bad even by disposable pop standards.
They commit suicide at an alarming rate. So aspects are OK I guess...

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A student from South Korea this term wrote a paper on K-Pop and feminist critiques that are challenging it from within. What struck me about her descriptions is how much it's like Motown in its golden era—everything is hyper managed by the company, from dress to comportment to music and dance. It's fully manufactured.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I was on the beach in Hawaii last year and there was this massive crowd of young Asian men walking around the beach taking photos on their phones. Eventually worked out they were following a girl who looked about 8 who was fully dressed (not for the beach) but was apparently a huge star in Korea. I think she was trying to do a photo shoot but that was impossible.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
26 Nov 2019, 11:56pm
PS, sun your butthole.
Josh Brolin would like to have a few words with you: https://slate.com/culture/2019/12/josh- ... inson.html
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
Flex wrote:
I think it's cool that Americans are adopting something different than they have before, but stylistically it's no different. Yeah, I don't get it either.

On the other hand, I'm trying to think of the late 90s pop boom and am trying to think of artists that were as substantive from a stylistic, songwriting, and even political standpoint as T-Swift, CRJ, Lizzo, Dua Lipa, Charli XCX, Miguel, Softee, and Empress Of (to get a little obscure there at the end) and am having a hard time coming up with anything.

I guess I'm not arguing that all pop is better now, just that there is a wing of pop now that has more substance (for lack of a better word) than what was popular really at any time before. Again, talking about the genre of pop music, not what is popular.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 12:10pm
Wolter wrote:
Flex wrote:
I think it's cool that Americans are adopting something different than they have before, but stylistically it's no different. Yeah, I don't get it either.

On the other hand, I'm trying to think of the late 90s pop boom and am trying to think of artists that were as substantive from a stylistic, songwriting, and even political standpoint as T-Swift, CRJ, Lizzo, Dua Lipa, Charli XCX, Miguel, Softee, and Empress Of (to get a little obscure there at the end) and am having a hard time coming up with anything.

I guess I'm not arguing that all pop is better now, just that there is a wing of pop now that has more substance (for lack of a better word) than what was popular really at any time before. Again, talking about the genre of pop music, not what is popular.
The only problem I have is that “pop” as a genre is a vague title, and that’s the only way you can make that argument. The Beatles, Stones, Motown, etc., were all considered pop at certain points in the past, so the substance argument only works if you define specifically what “pop” means as a form vs. what is popular.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 12:39pm
The only problem I have is that “pop” as a genre is a vague title, and that’s the only way you can make that argument. The Beatles, Stones, Motown, etc., were all considered pop at certain points in the past, so the substance argument only works if you define specifically what “pop” means as a form vs. what is popular.
Which is a problem with most of these larger music discussions (not just here, but more generally): defining parameters. What's pop? What's rock? What's punk? What's postpunk? What's metal? What's rock n roll? None of those categories matter much when we're making casual comments, but when making more serious, more critical assessments about genres, we can't really go anywhere without a shared foundation.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 1:12pm
Wolter wrote:
Which is a problem with most of these larger music discussions (not just here, but more generally): defining parameters. What's pop? What's rock? What's punk? What's postpunk? What's metal? What's rock n roll? None of those categories matter much when we're making casual comments, but when making more serious, more critical assessments about genres, we can't really go anywhere without a shared foundation.
Much like smut, I know it when I see it.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Part of the reason I only alphabetized all my cds back in the day was because I realized I didn’t know where each genre began and ended.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 1:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Much like smut, I know it when I see it.
Right, which is what I meant with the casual shoot-the-shit stuff we do here. Which is why it normally doesn't cause much conversational friction. But when, say, Heston wants to argue that Nirvana was a heavy metal band, figuring out criteria does matter.