Buzzcocks (for Kory)

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Buzzcocks (for Kory)

Post by Marky Dread »

I have checked the WAV files of the Product box version of "Fast Cars" against the two disc Special Edition of "Another Music in a Different Kitchen".

My findings are that the "Product" version sounds much better and more natural sounding than more brittle harshness of the two disc reissue.

I have remixed "Fast Cars" and I have managed to give it a much more fuller hi-fi sound without any brickwalling.

I have a lot of stuff on the go at present. But I will remix the whole album and at some stage get it uploaded for you. Then the other two original albums and extras.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Re: Buzzcocks (for Kory)

Post by Olaf »

Certainly looking forward to that.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Toppers Boppers
Long Time Jerk

Post by Toppers Boppers »

Olaf wrote:
28 Nov 2019, 2:00pm
Certainly looking forward to that.
Seconded. And thirded.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Promises! Sounds good.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wow there are a lot of Kory's here.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Very cool, thanks Marky! I've ordered the Product box from Discogs. I think what I'll probably wind up doing is keeping that, Ripping the bonus tracks from the 2-discers and selling them, and then keeping the newest "original tape" remasters (though I am still concerned that the newest Another Music is fairly bricked, or sounds like it, anyway).
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 2:03pm
Very cool, thanks Marky! I've ordered the Product box from Discogs. I think what I'll probably wind up doing is keeping that, Ripping the bonus tracks from the 2-discers and selling them, and then keeping the newest "original tape" remasters (though I am still concerned that the newest Another Music is fairly bricked, or sounds like it, anyway).
The two discs special edition versions are still worthy in my opinion. They are not brickwalled just more brittle sounding. It seems they have had the treble pushed up. I have remixed and remastered the Another Music cd from Product and found that enhancing the background sounds and adding a little sub-bass gave a much fuller sound. With a few other little tricks I use I think it sounds much more natural.

Also I will add that the two disc version of Another Kind of Tension sounds really good.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 2:13pm
Kory wrote:
The two discs special edition versions are still worthy in my opinion. They are not brickwalled just more brittle sounding. It seems they have had the treble pushed up. I have remixed and remastered the Another Music cd from Product and found that enhancing the background sounds and adding a little sub-bass gave a much fuller sound. With a few other little tricks I use I think it sounds much more natural.

Also I will add that the two disc version of Another Kind of Tension sounds really good.
Really? I wonder if I have a defective one. I've compared the 2-disc Different Kind of Tension against the IRS one and the newest "original tape" master and it seems like the left guitar is way lower in the mix, creating a weird imbalance. Are you hearing that?

For my money, the "original tape" master is the best one of that so far. Muscular.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 2:19pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:

Really? I wonder if I have a defective one. I've compared the 2-disc Different Kind of Tension against the IRS one and the newest "original tape" master and it seems like the left guitar is way lower in the mix, creating a weird imbalance. Are you hearing that?

For my money, the "original tape" master is the best one of that so far. Muscular.
Just a question do you have the 2 disc version that says "special edition" on the front cover under the album title?

EMI have released these albums so many times. There have been previous two disc editions.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Slightly off topic, but Buzzcocks have tweeted that they're preparing a new box set (Trade Test Transmissions, presumably) and are trying to track down some demos from the period:

"We're looking for a good copy of the 1991 demo album (on cassette) what will be part of a box set of reunion album reissues. If anyone can supply it (postage will be covered) credit will be given & you'll get a copy of the box set when it's released next year."
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JohnS wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 8:42am
Slightly off topic, but Buzzcocks have tweeted that they're preparing a new box set (Trade Test Transmissions, presumably) and are trying to track down some demos from the period:

"We're looking for a good copy of the 1991 demo album (on cassette) what will be part of a box set of reunion album reissues. If anyone can supply it (postage will be covered) credit will be given & you'll get a copy of the box set when it's released next year."
I've got that demo album. Wonder why they want it on cassette and not disc.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 9:00am
JohnS wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 8:42am

I've got that demo album. Wonder why they want it on cassette and not disc.
Me too, I think - I have a CDR of the same tracks, but in a different order.
I presume this is the tape they want to track down, perhaps the CDRs which got traded (with re-ordered songs) are a different mix/inferior generation/ different edits

https://www.discogs.com/Buzzcocks-Demo- ... se/9531169

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

The Pacific demo tape :
A1. Dreamin
A2. Alive Tonight
A3. Never Gonna Give It Up
A4. Wallpaper World
A5. Successful Street
A6. Who'll Help Me To Forget
A7. Serious Crime
A8. Why Compromise

B1. Last To Know
B2. Run Away From Home
B3. Searching For Your Love
B4. Tranquillizer
B5. When Love Turns Around You

What I have in Flac:

01. Isolation
02. Never Gonna Give It Up
03. When Love Turns Around You
04. All Over You
05. Trash Away
06. Who'll Help Me to Forget
07. Run Away from Home
08. Why Compromise
09. Alive Tonight
10. Last to Know
11. Inside
12. Serious Crime
13. Tranquilizer
14. Dreamin'

Just found another disc with the following.

Drone Studio session 4-24-91

Never Gonna Give It Up
Serious Crime
Dreaming
Last to Know
Run Away From Home
Tranquilizer
Alive Tonight
When Love Turns Around You
Isolation
Successful Street
Who'll Help Me Forget
Why Compromise
Australia
Last edited by Marky Dread on 16 Feb 2020, 11:38am, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 2:19pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:

I don't hear that from my copy. I hear both guitars in separate channels clearly. The old Buzzcocks trick of putting the guitars through a harmonizer is clearly at play here.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 9:59am
The Pacific demo tape :
A1. Dreamin
A2. Alive Tonight
A3. Never Gonna Give It Up
A4. Wallpaper World
A5. Successful Street
A6. Who'll Help Me To Forget
A7. Serious Crime
A8. Why Compromise

B1. Last To Know
B2. Run Away From Home
B3. Searching For Your Love
B4. Tranquillizer
B5. When Love Turns Around You

What I have in Flac:

01. Isolation
02. Never Gonna Give It Up
03. When Love Turns Around You
04. All Over You
05. Trash Away
06. Who'll Help Me to Forget
07. Run Away from Home
08. Why Compromise
09. Alive Tonight
10. Last to Know
11. Inside
12. Serious Crime
13. Tranquilizer
14. Dreamin'
My demos CDR matches your FLAC list exactly Marky.
The tape has some exclusive tracks - Wallpaper World, Successful Street and Searching For Your Love - so maybe that's why they're tracking it down.
The CDR has its own exclusive tracks - Isolation, All Over You, Trash Away and Inside. Hopefully they've got those covered already