R.A.M.O.N.E.S.

General music discussion.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

R.A.M.O.N.E.S.

Post by WestwayKid »

Any word on a 40th anniversary edition of End of the Century? I've personally always liked the album. I really like the 40th anniversary editions of the 1st four album. Would love to hear Stasium do a new mix. Would love to hear demos (pre-Spector?). Would love to hear a live set from 1980. Warner needs to make this happen.

I'd also like Pleasant Dreams, Jungle, and Too Tough to Die get the same treatment. Heck, all the way through to Halfway to Sanity. I'm not so precious about Brain Drain and the rest...but definitely would love albums 5 through 8.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: R.A.M.O.N.E.S.

Post by coffeepotman »

I'm with ya man but Brain Drain could def benefit from a remix

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

coffeepotman wrote:
09 Dec 2019, 11:53am
I'm with ya man but Brain Drain could def benefit from a remix
That's the final Sire/Warner Brothers release...so maybe. I agree on the need for a better mix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

WestwayKid wrote:
09 Dec 2019, 11:33am
Any word on a 40th anniversary edition of End of the Century? I've personally always liked the album. I really like the 40th anniversary editions of the 1st four album. Would love to hear Stasium do a new mix.
I have it on good authority (from my brother, who’s a Ramones maniac and devours any news, memoirs, biogs AND owns a Rockaway Beach 12” signed by all 4 Ramones) that Phil Spector had it written into his contract that the final album masters could never be remixed in the future by anyone, except him.
So don’t hold your breath on a remix.
But yeah, demos, outtakes and live stuff must exist to fill up a box set
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Cool interview. I've always felt that Richie was sort of an unsung part of their story. Seems like a decent guy and the part about the chimp peeing on Johnny was hilarious!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

JohnS wrote:
11 Dec 2019, 12:50pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Any word on a 40th anniversary edition of End of the Century? I've personally always liked the album. I really like the 40th anniversary editions of the 1st four album. Would love to hear Stasium do a new mix.
I have it on good authority (from my brother, who’s a Ramones maniac and devours any news, memoirs, biogs AND owns a Rockaway Beach 12” signed by all 4 Ramones) that Phil Spector had it written into his contract that the final album masters could never be remixed in the future by anyone, except him.
Figures.

I did find a reference on the Steve Hoffman forum where one of the members said he had spoken to Ed Stasium about it and Stasium said the plans were to issue 40th anniversary sets through End of the Century at which point they would assess whether or not they wanted to proceed with more. That comment was made in 2017.

With the anniversary of the album coming in February, I would think we would have heard something from WB by this point.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
11 Dec 2019, 1:36pm
JohnS wrote:
11 Dec 2019, 12:50pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Figures.

I did find a reference on the Steve Hoffman forum where one of the members said he had spoken to Ed Stasium about it and Stasium said the plans were to issue 40th anniversary sets through End of the Century at which point they would assess whether or not they wanted to proceed with more. That comment was made in 2017.

With the anniversary of the album coming in February, I would think we would have heard something from WB by this point.
The sound of the first album / box set was good but it's heavily brickwalled which put me off the rest.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
26 Jan 2020, 11:25am
And she, of course, grew up to be Academy Award winner, Kathy Bates!
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Flex wrote:
26 Jan 2020, 11:25am
There's the battered heart that would write those in love with love songs. Ah, Joey, but love is not loving.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Ed Stasium was interviewed for the Joey Ramone birthday bash and he was in the middle of re-mixing the End of the Century album, so that's pretty definite for me. I love that album but I wouldn't mind hearing it de-spectorized, I suppose it will sound like Stasium's version of RnR High School

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

coffeepotman wrote:
22 May 2020, 11:51am
Ed Stasium was interviewed for the Joey Ramone birthday bash and he was in the middle of re-mixing the End of the Century album, so that's pretty definite for me. I love that album but I wouldn't mind hearing it de-spectorized, I suppose it will sound like Stasium's version of RnR High School
This is great news. Hope you are well my friend.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

coffeepotman wrote:
This'll be interesting. I haven't been a huge fan of the masterings on the recent reissues but a stasium mix would be hella interesting.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
22 May 2020, 12:29pm
coffeepotman wrote:
This'll be interesting. I haven't been a huge fan of the masterings on the recent reissues but a stasium mix would be hella interesting.
Yep my thoughts also. I'm hoping for no brickwalling this time.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia