The most mysterious song on the internet.

General music discussion.
CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

The most mysterious song on the internet.

Post by CorwoodRep »

Howdy all, back for my once or twice annual "I have a modicum of time to use the internet recreationally" post.

There's a song some kid taped off the radio in 1984. The band and song title is unknown and a search has been ongoing for 15 years or something like that. Here's one of them fancy articles people used to make: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... et-885106/

Anyway, what do you think it was? My belief is that an unknown song is not a mysterious song: my brother's dead guitar teacher sold some CDs out of his car. Don't remember the guy's name or what the CD was called. If I uploaded an anonymous song from that guy to the internet, I don't think it would qualify for a quest. Ditto all the little bar bands I grew up seeing open for friends who were all called like Road Hawgs or The Hard Knocks or some shit and all had a version of Mustang Sally. Some of those even had LPs.

If this song didn't have that kinda Tears for Fears thing happening and the mysterious and ghostly sounds of a Yamaha DX7 and tape hiss/decay and a non-English speaker trying to speak English, it would not rise to the level of being a mystery because the Road Hawgs are not a mystery. There are aesthetic things happening around the song that make it feel mysterious, but it's not. It's just a bad song from 1984, a bad year in music generally.

My theory is that the song was in fact generic: a royalty-free thing designed to be used in radio ads for that station or in the background of a TV show. You know, diagetic randomness. It could have been made by somebody like Tape-A-Thon, which did the generic music for the Kmart tapes that were the basis for a lot of vaporwave. I feel like it would have almost certainly been located if it was made by four people who were trying to seriously get on the radio in 1984.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The most mysterious song on the internet.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

First, howdy, semi-stranger. Hope things are good with you.

Second, I love everything about this story. It seems the perfect set-up for a music-themed DaVinci Code kind of potboiler, ending with proof that John is still alive but Paul has, indeed, been dead since '66.

Third, my initial thought/guess is that it's a demo-ish recording sent by an unsigned band to a dj hoping, Peel-like, to be discovered. The dj played it but nothing ever came of the band or the song, aside from this home recording.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

My guess it will go to #1 in Spotify downloads then singles charts around the world.
An album will magically appear go straight to #1 then Mike Peters will confirm The Alarm’s world tour.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

101Walterton wrote:
10 Dec 2019, 9:48pm
My guess it will go to #1 in Spotify downloads then singles charts around the world.
An album will magically appear go straight to #1 then Mike Peters will confirm The Alarm’s world tour.
Hello,

I hope it does shoot up spotify so I can start to collect my royalty checks.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

It's really rather generic and unmysterious, isn't it? :rolleyes:

But hi to Jandek guy (sorry man, can't remember your name. But I'm hoping you're doing well & stuff & you stick around a while more).
EDIT: Kaleb! Kaleb. the hell's wrong with me? You're good shit, dude. OK. Carry on...
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

HI KALEEB.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

You know, my wife still calls me Kaleeb sometimes to irritate me. Fuckin' Michael Savage.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

oh shit kaleb has posted TWICE now

yeah, i think it's just some marginal demo or backing type track as you suggest. it's kind of interesting as a reminder of how many minor pieces of culture are missing from the digital age, but I'd rather someone uncover some new jerry lee lewis recordings or something.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

If this was a demo a band did back in 82/84 and sent to a radio station to play chances are they are no longer anything to do with music industry and what would be the chances of them knowing there was a mystery surrounding their song? Especially if they are in a non English speaking country.
I mean until read about it i here how many of us were aware of the ‘search’. Anyone one of us could have done that demo and not known???

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

CorwoodRep wrote:
12 Dec 2019, 4:14pm
You know, my wife still calls me Kaleeb sometimes to irritate me. Fuckin' Michael Savage.
We do love to irritate our husbands.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

The opening chords made me want to sing (I Just Died) In Your Arms Tonight over the top.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Possible break in the case:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 12:44pm
Your recall of obscure threads is astounding.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 1:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 12:44pm
It's rather impressive, I must say, given my failing memory in most regards. Usually all I'm good at retaining is petty slights and grievances.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Kory wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 1:50pm
Seriously, It's not like it has anything to do with buttplugs or amputated penises.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak