BostonBeaneater wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 9:58am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 7:19am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
13 Jan 2020, 10:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jan 2020, 10:51pm

Ignoring the Randian crap, of course. I remember hearing about KISS touring with them in the 70s, and while Gene et al were working the statutory rape game backstage, the Rush guys were sitting around and reading. I picture them underlining passages from Atlas Shrugged and wondering how to write songs about parasites.
I would suspect their Randian leanings were Somewhat overblown. I just did a little googling and found this Peart quote from 2012,
For me, [the work of Ayn Rand] was an affirmation that it’s all right to totally believe in something and live for it and not compromise. It was a simple as that. On that 2112 album, again, I was in my early twenties. I was a kid. Now I call myself a bleeding heart libertarian. Because I do believe in the principles of libertarianism as an ideal — because I’m an idealist. Paul Theroux’s definition of a cynic is a disappointed idealist. So as you go through past your twenties, your idealism is going to be disappointed many many times. And so, I’ve brought my view and also — I’ve just realized this — libertarianism as I understood it was very good and pure and we’re all going to be successful and generous to the less fortunate and it was, to me, not dark or cynical. But then I soon saw, of course, the way that it gets twisted by the flaws of humanity. And that’s when I evolve now into . . . a bleeding-heart libertarian. That’ll do.
What an odd way to come at Rand. That is, there are so many other belief systems that validate ardent faith and action without all the other crap. It'd be like becoming a Nazi because you're a nationalist.
I can't believe you got me to defend Rush and Neil Peart. I need drink.
:lol: The best thing I can say about Rush is this. I still use the phrase "ten bucks is ten bucks" whenever vaguely appropriate.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Neil Peart - RIP

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 9:58am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 7:19am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
13 Jan 2020, 10:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jan 2020, 10:51pm

Ignoring the Randian crap, of course. I remember hearing about KISS touring with them in the 70s, and while Gene et al were working the statutory rape game backstage, the Rush guys were sitting around and reading. I picture them underlining passages from Atlas Shrugged and wondering how to write songs about parasites.
I would suspect their Randian leanings were Somewhat overblown. I just did a little googling and found this Peart quote from 2012,
For me, [the work of Ayn Rand] was an affirmation that it’s all right to totally believe in something and live for it and not compromise. It was a simple as that. On that 2112 album, again, I was in my early twenties. I was a kid. Now I call myself a bleeding heart libertarian. Because I do believe in the principles of libertarianism as an ideal — because I’m an idealist. Paul Theroux’s definition of a cynic is a disappointed idealist. So as you go through past your twenties, your idealism is going to be disappointed many many times. And so, I’ve brought my view and also — I’ve just realized this — libertarianism as I understood it was very good and pure and we’re all going to be successful and generous to the less fortunate and it was, to me, not dark or cynical. But then I soon saw, of course, the way that it gets twisted by the flaws of humanity. And that’s when I evolve now into . . . a bleeding-heart libertarian. That’ll do.
What an odd way to come at Rand. That is, there are so many other belief systems that validate ardent faith and action without all the other crap. It'd be like becoming a Nazi because you're a nationalist.
I can't believe you got me to defend Rush and Neil Peart. I need drink.
I thought that was the reason for your vigorous defense.