Punk … for credit

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Punk … for credit

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Aug 2020, 12:53pm
Hey, y'all. I've been reading for this upcoming class (in Jan, not Sept) and had hopes for a week of fiction, whether it be a few short stories or a novel that is punk-themed or aesthetically inspired. So far I've been stumped and am ready to junk the idea. The novels and collections I've checked out either borrow a punk song for the title and that's it, or are coming-of-age stories in late 70s/early 80s Britain, with a few references to punk bands and songs thrown in. Nothing I can really use for a discussion about punk. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know, keeping in mind that the point of the discussions revolve, in some way, about what the hell punk is about, what is its value.

To that end, I'll pass on a link to Stewart Home's Cranked Up Really High, from which I'll be assigning a couple chapters. Home is a snotty and smart guy with a lovely hate on for academic takes on punk. The book is long out of print, so he's put it all up on his site. It's not very long (100 pp or so) and enjoyably caustic. Which isn't to say I agree with everything he says—in many respects, I'd say our Marky is closest to his take—but he provides lots of flesh to chew.
One day I'll write a book on punk. Yeah one day I'll do that. I'll call it "Fuck You! It Was Like This (and That)"

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Aug 2020, 2:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hey, y'all. I've been reading for this upcoming class (in Jan, not Sept) and had hopes for a week of fiction, whether it be a few short stories or a novel that is punk-themed or aesthetically inspired. So far I've been stumped and am ready to junk the idea. The novels and collections I've checked out either borrow a punk song for the title and that's it, or are coming-of-age stories in late 70s/early 80s Britain, with a few references to punk bands and songs thrown in. Nothing I can really use for a discussion about punk. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know, keeping in mind that the point of the discussions revolve, in some way, about what the hell punk is about, what is its value.

To that end, I'll pass on a link to Stewart Home's Cranked Up Really High, from which I'll be assigning a couple chapters. Home is a snotty and smart guy with a lovely hate on for academic takes on punk. The book is long out of print, so he's put it all up on his site. It's not very long (100 pp or so) and enjoyably caustic. Which isn't to say I agree with everything he says—in many respects, I'd say our Marky is closest to his take—but he provides lots of flesh to chew.
One day I'll write a book on punk. Yeah one day I'll do that. I'll call it "Fuck You! It Was Like This (and That)"
I'd I'll pirate a copy! (I think you'd enjoy a lot of what Home says about academics and journalists writing about punk.)
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Aug 2020, 2:35pm
Marky Dread wrote:
20 Aug 2020, 2:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'd I'll pirate a copy! (I think you'd enjoy a lot of what Home says about academics and journalists writing about punk.)
I'll check it out. Then I'll be back to tell you how wrong he is just like all the rest! ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Aug 2020, 2:52pm
I'll check it out. Then I'll be back to tell you how wrong he is just like all the rest! ;)
I expect nothing less. :cool:

Meanwhile, Home mentions this neat little ditty by David Peel:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Aug 2020, 2:56pm
Marky Dread wrote:
20 Aug 2020, 2:52pm
I expect nothing less. :cool:

Meanwhile, Home mentions this neat little ditty by David Peel:
Awful production awful song. I love It!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I just got this notice from my old University. I never met him while I taught there. It might have been fun and interesting. I was much more New York focused than the DC hardcore scene.

https://www.ohio.edu/news/2020/08/histo ... t-new-book

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
20 Aug 2020, 3:27pm
Hello,

I just got this notice from my old University. I never met him while I taught there. It might have been fun and interesting. I was much more New York focused than the DC hardcore scene.

https://www.ohio.edu/news/2020/08/histo ... t-new-book
Got a copy on my desk. Haven't read it yet, but it'll be part of the syllabus in January.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'm sorry, I can't think of anything decent fiction wise. I do owe myself a short story this month, maybe I'll slap out a 2000 worder that's about punk.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
21 Aug 2020, 5:48am
I'm sorry, I can't think of anything decent fiction wise. I do owe myself a short story this month, maybe I'll slap out a 2000 worder that's about punk.
I've mostly decided to table the idea of a week on punk fiction and hope that something pops up over the next year and I stumble upon something. I've found a few pulp-y types—Richard Allen's Punk Rock and another in the same vein, but the title escapes me—that I'll flip thru. But it has been kinda surprising all the same how hard it's been.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I remember quite liking Dee Dee Ramone's Chelsea Horror Hotel when I was in high school tho it's been years since I cracked it open. Might do the trick.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Hey kids, I've more or less finalized my reading list for that punk class, in case you want to read along.

What is Punk?
Pete Dale, “What is Punk?” Anyone Can Do It: Empowerment, Tradition and the Punk Underground (Burlington, VT: Ashgate, 2012), 23–36.
Stewart Home, Cranked Up Really High: Genre Theory & Punk Rock (Hove, UK: Codex, 1995), chapters 1–3 (skim chapter 2).
http://www.stewarthomesociety.org/cranked/jive.htm
http://www.stewarthomesociety.org/cranked/blood.htm
http://www.stewarthomesociety.org/cranked/nomo.htm
Greil Marcus, “Prologue.” Lipstick Traces: A Secret History of the Twentieth Century (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1989), 1–24.

History and Social Geography in Los Angeles Punk
Dewar MacLeod, Kids of the Black Hole: Punk Rock in Postsuburban California (Norman, OK: University of Oklahoma Press, 2010).

The Business of Punk
Timothy Cuffman,“Idle Musical Community: Dischord Records and Anarchic DIY Practice,” Contemporary Justice Review 18, no. 1 (2005): 4–21.
Stephen Lee,“Re-Examining the Concept of the 'Independent' Record Company: The Case of Wax Trax! Records,” Popular Music 14, no. 1 (January 1995): 13–31.
Stacy Thompson, “Market Failure: Punk Economics, Early and Late,” College Literature 28, no. 2 (Spring, 2001): 48–64.

Zines
Stephen Duncombe, Notes From Underground: Zines and the Politics of Alternative Culture (Bloomington, IN: Microcosm Press, 2008).

Punk and Race
Otto Nomous,“Race, Anarchy, and Punk Rock: The Impact of Cultural Boundaries Within the Anarchist Movement,” Turning the Tide 14, no. 2 (Summer 2001): np.
Roger Sabin, “‘I Won’t Let That Dago By’: Rethinking Punk and Racism,” in Roger Sabin (ed.), Punk Rock: So What? (New York: Routledge, 1999), 199–218
Daniel S. Traber, “L. A.'s ‘White Minority’: Punk and the Contradictions of Self-Marginalization,” Cultural Critique 48 (Spring, 2001): 30–64.
Jeremy Wallach, “Living the Punk Lifestyle in Jakarta.” Ethnomusicology 52, no. 1 (Winter 2008): 98–116.

Washington, DC and Punk Activism
Kevin Mattson, We’re Not Here to Entertain: Punk Rock, Ronald Reagan, and the Real Cultural War of 1980s America (New York: Oxford University Press, 2020).

Punk and Gender
Lauraine Leblanc, Pretty in Punk: Girl's Gender Resistance in a Boy's Subculture (Rutgers University Press, 1999).

Riot Grrrl
Theo Cateforis and Elena Humphreys, “Constructing Communities and Identities: Riot Grrrl New York City.” In Kip Lornell and Anne K. Rasmussen (eds), The Music of Multicultural America (Jackson, MS: University of Mississippi, 2016), 395–418.
Julia Downes, “The Expansion of Punk Rock: Riot Grrl Challenges to Gender Power Relations in British Indie Music Subcultures,” Women’s Studies 41, no. 2 (2012): 204–237.
Kristen Schilt, “‘Riot Grrrl Is …’: The Contestation Over Meaning in a Music Scene.” In Andy Bennett and Richard A. Peterson (eds), Music Scenes: Local, Translocal, and Virtual (Nashville, TN: Vanderbilt University Press, 2004), 115–130

Straight Edge
Ross Haenfler, Straight Edge: Clean-Living Youth, Hardcore Punk, and Social Change (New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press, 2006).

Punk on Video
Suburbia, dir. Penelope Spheeris (New World Pictures, 1984).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPejY8vZWO4
“Next Stop, Nowhere,” Quincy, M.E. , dir. Ray Danton (Universal, 1982)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmJxxnemxmw
OR
Ladies and Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains, dir. Lou Adler (Paramount, 1982).

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Nice! I plan on checking some of these out. Expect my term paper next week on the Quincy punk rock episode with Jan from the Office.

Stuart Home *really* hates Griel Marcus.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 11:26am
Nice! I plan on checking some of these out. Expect my term paper next week on the Quincy punk rock episode with Jan from the Office.
Instead of a term paper, I'm having them create a zine. It could be a term paper, or it could be something more off beat, with pictures, drawings, poetry, etc. Total experiment.
Stuart Home *really* hates Griel Marcus.
Hilariously so! Marcus irritates the piss out of me, too, but I don't think Home is terribly fair to Marcus in his attacks. He twists GM in a way that runs counter to what he's actually arguing. But Home's venom is fun, but he seems as much of a dink as Marcus.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

JennyB wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 11:26am
You've been zapped by the brain police!

I know Ive mentioned this before but I once did a cool (I thought) compilation with soundbites from this episode intermingled throughout.

I followed up the "been zapped by the brain police" quote with this

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Doc, Ive decided the zine your students do should include a comp/mix tape or something to that effect, complete with cool cover art.

I await your concurrence on this matter.