Marky Dread wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 4:04pm
101Walterton wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 4:02pm
Marky Dread wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 2:09pm
101Walterton wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 10:08pm

Bad Manners were in the 2 Tone movie Dance Craze and the subsequent live album released on 2 Tone (Inner London Violence, Lip Up Fatty).
Ne Ne Na Na Na Na Nu Nu was in the movie but not on the album (and Wully Bully) it isn’t their best ( which I think is Inner London Violence.
Ne Ne Na Na Nu Nu and Wooly Bully both cover versions. Take all the cover versions from British ska / two tone and half of those great singles don't exist.
Shows how good that original ska era was.
Yes sure does mate.
I know the die hards dig deep into the back catalogue but there is a treasure trove of great music that is criminally overlooked especially when you hear the same old handful of chart shit pop music from that same era being played over and over.
I'd say the "chart shit" of that era was mostly pretty good. I know there is the odd exception but a lot of that stuff stands up well these days.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Re: w/e 29th March 1980

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 6:38pm
101Walterton wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 4:15pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Ne Ne Na Na Nu Nu and Wooly Bully both cover versions. Take all the cover versions from British ska / two tone and half of those great singles don't exist.
Yes sure does mate.
I know the die hards dig deep into the back catalogue but there is a treasure trove of great music that is criminally overlooked especially when you hear the same old handful of chart shit pop music from that same era being played over and over.
I'd say the "chart shit" of that era was mostly pretty good. I know there is the odd exception but a lot of that stuff stands up well these days.
Some of it is ok but it is a handful of songs played over and over.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yes sure does mate.
Yes there are loads of great songs from that era. However a lot of what gets replayed on the radio is not the good stuff. But I guess it's each to their own tastes.

I think during the Two Tone era the charts were incredibly healthy with a ton of variety and styles. Some good some bad as with all eras. But I think the late 70s with all the various sub cultures fashions etc produced some of the best music ever.

Radio has a tendency to play stuff that made the top ten of the day but the more pop orientated stuff. I find advertising is a better representation of the era using some of what I consider personally to be greater sounds.

I think this is what is lacking in modern music. Very few bands have an identity because a lot of the fashions of the day that produced a gang mentality don't exist to the same degree. I genuinely feel that ands had to work harder when they had nailed their colours firmly to a particular mast.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 6:59am
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Yes sure does mate.
Yes there are loads of great songs from that era. However a lot of what gets replayed on the radio is not the good stuff. But I guess it's each to their own tastes.

I think during the Two Tone era the charts were incredibly healthy with a ton of variety and styles. Some good some bad as with all eras. But I think the late 70s with all the various sub cultures fashions etc produced some of the best music ever.

Radio has a tendency to play stuff that made the top ten of the day but the more pop orientated stuff. I find advertising is a better representation of the era using some of what I consider personally to be greater sounds.

I think this is what is lacking in modern music. Very few bands have an identity because a lot of the fashions of the day that produced a gang mentality don't exist to the same degree. I genuinely feel that ands had to work harder when they had nailed their colours firmly to a particular mast.
Agree with your comments.
I was talking about the original Ska tracks from the 60’s being ignored yet the same handful of pop songs from the same era get played over and over.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Yes sure does mate.

Hello,

One difference I sense is during the late 70's, kids/bands had to be more original and put more thinking into their style. With the huge increase in media and exposure, kids look at a spectrum of looks/identities and pick one - hardly original. MTV started this - at first, great! We get to see other styles. After the marketing people got involved, it was being sold identities. This went on at all times but to a much lesser degree - no data to back it up, I'm just thinking based on experience.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 4:44pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yes sure does mate.

I was talking about the original Ska tracks from the 60’s being ignored yet the same handful of pop songs from the same era get played over and over.
Yes I know you were mate. Like I said "No comparrison". My reply was more for Heston.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

gkbill wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 4:50pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yes sure does mate.

Hello,

One difference I sense is during the late 70's, kids/bands had to be more original and put more thinking into their style. With the huge increase in media and exposure, kids look at a spectrum of looks/identities and pick one - hardly original. MTV started this - at first, great! We get to see other styles. After the marketing people got involved, it was being sold identities. This went on at all times but to a much lesser degree - no data to back it up, I'm just thinking based on experience.
There used to be a uniform for the music you listened to and everyone dressed accordingly there was no middle ground. You would go to youth club, discos, school, shopping centre and there would be seperate groups of punks, rude boys and girls, New Romantics, heavy metal, mods etc. I loved that feeling of being part of a gang and you felt closer and connected to the bands you followed because you looked like them.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 4:50pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yes sure does mate.

Hello,

I think style and presentation take a lot of effort. It's not necessarily about being one thing or another but being committed to your band The Clash are a prime example of this. A gang mentality but not being slavish to fashion. It's just one of the reasons the final 5 man Clash failed. By going back to basics covering old ground by attempting to be a punk band again. The Clash had long since moved on musically and stylistically.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 5:05pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Yes I know you were mate. Like I said "No comparrison". My reply was more for Heston.
Yeah, I got the wrong end of the stick.

Radio has mostly always been the same though. They usually have advertisers to pay and a limited amount of songs they can play. The amount of times my local station play Tainted Love and Don't You want Me is insane.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 5:26pm
Marky Dread wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 5:05pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

Yeah, I got the wrong end of the stick.

Radio has mostly always been the same though. They usually have advertisers to pay and a limited amount of songs they can play. The amount of times my local station play Tainted Love and Don't You want Me is insane.
Yeah that's what I was getting. Although I was referring to TV when I mentioned adverts. Lots of good tunes used nowadays. But radio just seems so limited when there is a wealth of great stuff from that period.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia