Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
17%

Total votes: 23

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Wednesday Poll #7 Best Song Ever...

Post by BitterTom »

... on the work's playlist.

A good week. The only tracks I dislike are Yellow Submarine and All Right Now. Other than that, high quality stuff here. My vote has to go to one of my favourites of all time and possibly the most beautiful song ever, Love and Affection.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Wednesday Poll #7 Best Song Ever...

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Easy choice this week. The only song there I like is "Jailhouse Rock."
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 9:51am
Easy choice this week. The only song there I like is "Jailhouse Rock."
I like Jailhouse Rock, but it isn't even top 50 Elvis for me. Big money production, forced sounding compared to the Sun sides.

Going contrarian and choosing Teenage Dirtbag for the nostalgia factor and because it's the one I'm most in the mood to listen to right now.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Silent Majority wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 9:57am
Going contrarian and choosing Teenage Dirtbag for the nostalgia factor and because it's the one I'm most in the mood to listen to right now.
It's one fine song, agreed full of nostalgia.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

BitterTom wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 10:04am
Silent Majority wrote:
And Elvis would have done a fine cover.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Gonna give Mighty Quinn a vote, tho I could have been persuaded with Jailhouse Rock or Yellow Submarine too. All Right Now and Start Me Up are good songs as well, imho.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Quite a good list. Just the two turkeys i would say. Went for BR just simply cos i regard it as a genuine classic still only slightly blemished by over familiarity.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I went Mighty Quinn, my favourite Dylan cover.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

BitterTom wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 10:04am
Silent Majority wrote:
Weird how much bigger that song was in the UK than the US. I remember it being a blip and then going to the UK summer 2001 and it being a big thing there.

Edit - holy shit, I wasn't wrong. It made it to #124 in the US and fucking #2 in the UK.
Last edited by matedog on 11 Mar 2020, 10:56am, edited 1 time in total.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

I went with Bohemian. It's overplayed beyond belief, but it really is a incredibly written and produced song. It's so much more bizarre than almost anything else that ever gets played on classic rock radio and probably what was played on the radio at the time of its initial release. I also don't know half of these songs. Listening to Mighty Quinn now. It's pretty good.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 10:55am
I went with Bohemian. It's overplayed beyond belief, but it really is a incredibly written and produced song. It's so much more bizarre than almost anything else that ever gets played on classic rock radio and probably what was played on the radio at the time of its initial release. I also don't know half of these songs. Listening to Mighty Quinn now. It's pretty good.
How can you not know half these songs?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Another crappy to meh list. Jailhouse Rock wins the day.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 11:03am
matedog wrote:
Toto, Lennon, Manfred Mann, Joan Armatrading (is that a misspelling?), Free all don't ring a bell. I'll give them a listen. I had definitely not heard Mighty Quinn before. At least I don't remember it.

matedog

Post by matedog »

matedog wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 11:17am
Heston wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 11:03am
matedog wrote:
Toto, Lennon, Manfred Mann, Joan Armatrading (is that a misspelling?), Free all don't ring a bell. I'll give them a listen. I had definitely not heard Mighty Quinn before. At least I don't remember it.
Also I heard Wheatus maybe eight times in 2000 and not since.
  • Toto - okay, yeah, I've heard this one. Very classic rock affair. Nothing special, but not bad.
  • Lennon - Nope. I've heard Imagine and the christmas song and that's probably it for solo Lennon. Apparently this is his second most popular song on Spotify. I had to have heard it before, but it's not remotely memorable so this is basically new to me. Didn't listen to the last half of the song. I hope I didn't miss anything worthwhile, but the first half certainly didn't suggest anything interesting was going to come.
  • Joan Armatrading - NOT a misspelling. Also haven't heard. This made it to #10 in the UK and didn't chart in the US, so I don't think it gets much play here. This is actually pretty good. Great vocal arrangement.
  • Free - Brain fart on this one. I've heard it 1000x. It's more stereotypical classic rock and I mean that in a generally bad way.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Someone better vote for "Start Me Up" or else muppet is going to burst an aorta scolding us all for our disrespect.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft